PDA

View Full Version : Taps

leonross
June 1st, 2009, 17:51
Is there more to taps than what you would normally hear ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ9VZixY7-0

GT182
June 1st, 2009, 18:22
That was beautiful. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/sigpic336_1.gif

To answer your question Leon.... yes. You have to hear the words to Taps sung with the music. It'll bring out even bigger goose bumps. I used to know the words but can't remember all of them now. After every Boy Scout meeting we always, without fail, sang Taps. God is nigh. :USA-flag:

Fibber
June 1st, 2009, 18:44
The most haunting rendition of Taps I ever here is when there are two players. One near and one far and a note behind the near player. Brings a clutch to my throat ,and tears to my eyes, each time as I remember friends past. My wife never says a word when that is playing.

luckydog
June 1st, 2009, 18:54
"Taps" is a bugle call composed by Union Army Brigadier General Daniel Butterfield in 1862. Both Union and Confederate armies adopted it.

The piece that the young lady is playing on the video is called "Il Silenzio",
written in 1965 by Italians Nini Rosso and Gugliemo Brezzo.

BurningBeard
June 1st, 2009, 19:08
Yep, that aint Taps.

Beard

Rich
June 1st, 2009, 21:00
Memories of the record from 1965, RAF Seletar Singapore, Friday August 13th, flying from Seletar to Kuching Borneo on a RAF Blackburn Beverley, loaded up and taxied out onto the runway, engines run up for takeoff, big bang, No4 engine shed a few cylinders, taxi back on 2, 3 hour wait for the RAF to take the seats out of the lame duck and fit them in a Bev set up for heavy drop, that record was the last one we heard befor taking the batteries out of our little transistor radios as required by flight rules at that time.

Many thanks for posting the link, British have the Last Post

"Taps" is a bugle call composed by Union Army Brigadier General Daniel Butterfield in 1862. Both Union and Confederate armies adopted it.

The piece that the young lady is playing on the video is called "Il Silenzio",
written in 1965 by Italians Nini Rosso and Gugliemo Brezzo.

Cerberus
June 1st, 2009, 21:05
I first saw this video on Memorial Day, really got some sand in my eyes.

stiz
June 1st, 2009, 23:25
yea, its one of those "tunes" that just makes you stop whatever your doing ....

I've never heard it called "taps" though, we know it as the last post over here, guess every army that uses it calls it something different, just like each one is just a little different.

MIIOGka3LKI

i found this bit of info on it as well, kinda intresting:

""Last Post" was originally a bugle call used in British Army camps to signal the end of the day. The name derives from the practice of inspecting all the sentry posts around such a camp at the end of the day, and playing a bugle call at each of them. The "last post" was thus the last point of this inspection, and the bugle call signalling that this post had been inspected marked the end of the military day. This custom dates from at least the 17th century, and originated with British troops stationed in The Netherlands, where it drew on an older Dutch custom, called Taptoe. The Taptoe was also used to signal the end of the day, but has more prosaic origin. Taptoe originated signalling the moment that beer barrels had to be shut, hence that the day had ended. It comes from the Dutch phrase Doe den tap toe, meaning "Turn the tap off": however the Dutch "Taptoe" bugle call Taptoesignaal, now used for remembrance events, is not the same tune as the Last Post. Neither the Last Post nor the Taptoesignaal are to be confused with the US call "Taps" which has a similar function but different tune and origin

"Last Post" was used by British forces in North America in colonial times, but its function was taken over in the Unitede States by "Taps", which has been used by the United States Army since 1862"