PDA

View Full Version : Where do I begin? Basic CFS2 install completed

Navy Chief
October 16th, 2008, 12:53
I just installed CFS2 on my father in law's computer. I haven't had it on my machine for years, literally.

No idea what is out there for CFS2. Am sure there are thousands of addons, just like for FS9/FSX.

He said he'd like a P-51, for starters. But I also know he want some military jets.

What about recommendations? Scenery, aircraft, utilities?

Am sure I'll get replies on this one. Everyone has their favorites!

NC

redrooster
October 16th, 2008, 13:20
For utilities:
DBo't's US weapons pack
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=894
Also the M10 launcher which is not included in the above pack
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=791
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=895
Some japanese weapons
mdbombs2.zip@flightsim.com. Be careful not to replace the stock dp's for the japanese aircraft with the ones included in this package, it will screw up the planes dp horribly.

For aircraft:
Well there are a lot of good ones out there
Wolfi's SB2C Helldiver-here at SOH
The B-24 Guy's overhauled stock aircraft
To name a few...

Some good Japanese aircraft here:
http://hago003.hp.infoseek.co.jp/
Some Ships:
http://www.geocities.jp/usio_no_ibuki/
If he's into jet's he might try Fox Four's Korea Campaign:
http://www.simviation.com/lair/cfs2korea.htm

I'm not sure one what the best P-51 for CFS2 is, I don't have one, but I'd be very interested to hear what people's opinions are.
There's ALOT more out there for CFS2, so look around and ask away, you will probably find what you are looking for:ernae:

redrooster

bearcat241
October 16th, 2008, 13:20
Start with the entire SOH donationware line (you'll get a P-51B in that process), then go to Fox Four and get your late 40's and early 50's jet line, along with some great Korean war campaign themes. Then take a trip to the Alphasim freeware page and get all your modern jets and a lot more vintage stuff too. Once you get those jets you're gonna need some proper runways. The shorter CFS2 defo dirt, coral and steel mat jobs may leave you a bit dissappointed. Fox Four has recommendations for Korean Theater bases w/ asphalt strips. You can also find more pickings at Simviation and maybe Netwings under CFS2 scenery.

For more P-51D's you can search "P-51D+cfs2" at Flightsim...i highly recommend the AW P-51D in addition to the Alphasim model.

OBIO
October 16th, 2008, 13:21
First, look under The B-24 Guy and get all the updates to the stock CFS2 aircraft. These updates make the flyable planes so much better and make the non-flyables flyable. We refer to them as the Overhauled or OH planes.

Then look under Lawdog3260 for replacement sounds for the planes, and for sounds for planes you add.

For jets....look no further than under AlphaOldies and under my uploads....a lot of Alpha Sim freeware jets under Alpha Oldies. Under my uploads panels for virtually all those jets, some converted jets from other sources and some updated Alpha Sim jets. As in real life, modern jets that are worth flying are pretty much non-existant. The 50s and 60s era jets are covered pretty well, and some into the 70s...but come the 80s on, nothing worth spending time on.

I uploaded a jet sound pack that is nice and rumbly and loud.

ON Simviation, there is a scenery pack by Steve McClelland for the Far East Pacific (Korea, Vietnam, Tailand, and a slew of other countries. Very nice package for jet use. There is an update to it as well that fixes some of the Korea bases.

OBIO

Navy Chief
October 16th, 2008, 13:39
Thanks!!!!

NC

OBIO
October 16th, 2008, 13:53
P-51s

For the early Allison versions, look under my uploads and under the uploads of Bismarck13. Bismarck13 did a series of the early Mustangs powered by the Allison. I did the skins...and working on redoing them with better panel line placement and details.

The B model is very well covered. Alpha Sim has a pretty nice Malcom Hood equipped RAF version (Alpha Oldies). There was a donationware P-51B with the Malcom Hood that was made freeware....but have no idea how one goes about getting it.

The donationware P-51B Ridge Back is a very very nice model and well worth the money.

D model: Andrew Wai did up a great one, Wozza's superb FS2004 D model has been converted to CFS2 and uploaded to the library. Alpha Sim's super nice D model is now freeware and has been converted to CFS2 (or was there a CFS2 native version of it available...can't remember).

All these D models have a great number of skins available. The FDG2 P-51B models have a good number of skins available (I uploaded a good number for them, Sopwith Chameleon did some).

OBIO

redrooster
October 16th, 2008, 14:01
Are there any Pacific Theatre skins for Andrew Wai's P-51? I have the same question for the alphasim P-51, or are any of the skins included with the alphasim P-51 from Pacific Theatre squadrons?

redrooster

Buddha13
October 16th, 2008, 14:07
Hi all,
FDG also did some nice P51D's.There are plenty of skins out there for them.
Heres my favourite.
FDG P-51D Repaint for CFS2 "Duchess Arlene:
Ottumwa, Iowa native Captain Robert Williams flew 50 combat missions and later wrote the original manuscript for the award winning 1995 HBO film "The Tuskegee Airmen" with his character portrayed by actor Laurence Fishburne. Captain Williams' P-51D Mustang named "Duchess Arlene" wore number 10 and is the featured paint scheme.Captain Williams' wartime sweetheart "Duchess Arlene" was Arlene Roberts of Moline, Illinois who later married Williams.Captain Williams flew from Italy with the 100th Fighter Squadron, 332nd Fighter Group of the 15th Air Force destroying two enemy aircraft between 1944-1945. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal with six Oak Leaf Clusters and the
Presidential Distinguished Unit Citation. In addition to Smith and Williams, four other Iowans had distinguished combat careers.
Also do not forget Krzysztof Malinowski's P40 and P47 a/c and Akemi's wonderful a/c.

Buddha13

Navy Chief
October 16th, 2008, 14:32
I went to the Alphasim freeware page, but the A-7 Corsair, A-4 Skyhawk, and some others are missing. Did not see them on Avsim either.

Are they available elsewhere?

Thanks.

NC

bearcat241
October 16th, 2008, 14:34
Are there any Pacific Theatre skins for Andrew Wai's P-51? I have the same question for the alphasim P-51, or are any of the skins included with the alphasim P-51 from Pacific Theatre squadrons?

redrooster

There are a few scattered around at the popular sim download sites that still support CFS2. You'll have to do the legwork and use his name and the P-51D moniker as keywords in your search. So far think i've found skins for squadrons in South China, the Phillipines, Iwo, Saipan and Ieshima...over a span of several years. Some of these links may now be dead.

bearcat241
October 16th, 2008, 14:39
I went to the Alphasim freeware page, but the A-7 Corsair, A-4 Skyhawk, and some others are missing. Did not see them on Avsim either.

* --->>> THIS (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=AlphaOldies&ammm=15&pap=1) might help...

redrooster
October 16th, 2008, 15:04
Thanks Bearcat! I found a couple from Iwo Jima and Ie Shima, so now I'm set:running:

redrooster

Kofschip
October 16th, 2008, 17:30
Navychief, see this thread. It never made it as a sticky, but it has everything that you need and then some...:wavey:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=795

Wulf190
October 16th, 2008, 20:56
If your looking for VVS aircraft, look for anything Thicko.

Go for virtualwings.org for a nice series of Fw-190Ds, Lockheed Hudsons, and Fokker D.21s.

miamieagle
October 17th, 2008, 04:09
Kofschip thank you for posting your post.

Here is one of the links that I put together years ago for the benefit of the community

http://forums.netwings.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27 (http://forums.netwings.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27) and here is the other

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1117604819 (http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1117604819)

You have to understand that not all the links are working anymore but I do believe most do still work. It has also many tips for the community benefit.:ernae:

PS read them from page one to the last page.

I recommend for you not to go crazy and add to many addon at the same time. This may corrupt the program. If Its AC you want to add only three or four at the most at any one time and if its you want to add new scenery only one at a time.I also recommmend for you to create a backup CFS2 install just in case anything goes wrong.

Welcome to the forum and this wonderful Hobby where people are friendly and more than willing to help each other.

Watch your six!:ernae:

Navy Chief
October 17th, 2008, 05:13
Am sure if I research enough, I'll find the answer to this question, but do FS8 aircraft work in CFS2? I went through the list of files that Bearcat so kindly provided a link to, but I didn't see a A-7 Corsair II listed for CFS2; just FS8. Thanks.

NC

bearcat241
October 17th, 2008, 06:59
WRT Alphasim freeware, when all else fails, go to Flightsim.com :ernae:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The links below are inactive on this page---can't click and link from here...you have to literally go there

Combat Flight Simulator - CFS2 Aircraft
CFS2/CFS3/FS2000/FS2002 Chance Vought A-7E

[ Download | View ]
Name: a7tonkin.zip Size: 2,038,832 Date: 05-08-2003 Downloads: 902
CFS2/CFS3/FS2000/FS2002 Chance Vought A-7E Corsair II. Originally designed by AlphaSim; this is the freeware version 2.7. This version has been tested only in CFS2 but Alpha Sim reports it to work in CFS2, FS2000 and FS2002. The first A-7D made its initial flight on April 5, 1968, and deliveries of production models began on December 23, 1968. When A-7D production ended in 1976, 459 had been delivered to the USAF. In 1973, the USAF began assigning A-7Ds to the Air National Guard (ANG). The A-7D demonstrated its outstanding capability to attack ground targets while flown by the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing at Korat RTAFB, Thailand, during the closing months of the war in Southeast Asia. This version shows the aircraft assigned to USS Constellation (CV-64) CVW-9 from Oct 1970-May 1971 in the Tonkin Gulf and flown by Col. N. Grapner. Includes files in 1024 pixel format to enhance the detail on the aircraft. Repaint by J-P Demmerle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Download | View ]
Name: a7swndrs.zip Size: 1,486,333 Date: 05-08-2003 Downloads: 703
CFS2/CFS3/FS2000/FS2002 Chance Vought A-7E Corsair II. Originally designed by AlphaSim; this is the freeware version 2.7. This version has been tested only in CFS2 but Alpha Sim reports it to work in CFS2, FS2000 and FS2002. The first A-7D made its initial flight on April 5, 1968, and deliveries of production models began on December 23, 1968. When A-7D production ended in 1976, 459 had been delivered to the USAF. In 1973, the USAF began assigning A-7Ds to the Air National Guard (ANG). The A-7D demonstrated its outstanding capability to attack ground targets while flown by the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing at Korat RTAFB, Thailand, during the closing months of the war in Southeast Asia. This version shows a repaint of a Corsair from VA-86 of the USS Nimitz (Air Group CO's Aircraft) in 1975. Includes files in 1024 pixel format to enhance the detail on the aircraft. Repaint by J-P Demmerle.

[ Download | View ]
Name: a7stngrs.zip Size: 1,319,238 Date: 05-05-2003 Downloads: 1361
CFS2/CFS3/FS2000/FS2002 Chance Vought A-7E Corsair II. Originally designed by AlphaSim. This is the freeware version 2.7 which was downloaded from the AlphaSim site. This version has been tested only in CFS2 but Alpha Sim reports it to work in CFS2, FS2000 and FS2002. The first A-7D made its initial flight on April 5, 1968, and deliveries of production models began on December 23, 1968. When A-7D production ended in 1976, 459 had been delivered to the USAF. In 1973, the USAF began assigning A-7Ds to the Air National Guard (ANG). The A-7D demonstrated its outstanding capability to attack ground targets while flown by the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing at Korat RTAFB, Thailand, during the closing months of the war in Southeast Asia. This version shows a repaint of VA-113 "Stingers" from the USS Kittyhawk. Includes files in 1024 pixel format to enhance the detail on the aircraft. Repaint by J-P Demmerle.

bobhegf
October 17th, 2008, 07:07
There are also US bases in the mission section under US Training Mission Fix.:d

OBIO
October 17th, 2008, 07:54
NavyChief

The A-7 pack is for FS8 (FS2002) and CFS2 in one package. A number of the Older AS freeware packages are like that....compatible with both sims.

If there are any planes that you can not find...especially Alpha Sim...let me know and I will give you links to them. I am a huge huge fan of the Alpha Sim planes and have a large collection of them put together....even the ones from way back in the Pre-FSDS days of AF99.

OBIO

David_L6
October 17th, 2008, 11:53
This thread should be a sticky. It could potentially help any number of people install or re-install CFS2.

OBIO
October 17th, 2008, 12:40
The A-7's on Flightsim.com are an even older version, done in AF99. Skip those and grab the ones uploaded under the usename AlphaOldies. All the Alpha Sim Jets are there. Some come in CFS2 only packs, some come in CFS2/FS2002 packs.

OBIO

bearcat241
October 17th, 2008, 13:38
And of course, my RAZBAM brother, i'm sure you already know about your "free" CFS2 RAZBAM Skyhawks waiting for your pickup, right Chief? If not, shoot a line to Ron and he'll fix you up. Dont forget to ask for the Skyraiders too.

And WRT the Skyhawk, let me know if you have any installation or operational problems in QC. I have a modified set of models to prevent CTD's when flying with wingmen in missions and QC.