PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard shortcut and autopilot problems

Dangerous Beans
May 29th, 2009, 12:00
I'm having a few problems with the autopilot controls.

If I use the mouse to operate the autopilot everything works as it should. But if I try toggling the altitude hold, speed hold or heading hold with the keyboard shortcuts whatever numbers I've set in them changes.
Speed resets itself to 0, heading resets itself to 002 and altitude resets itself to 800.
Its always the same numbers whatever I've set them to.

At first I thought it might be a profiler problem as I was trying to opperate them with either my Saitek X52 Pro or with the G keys on my Logitech G15 keyboard so I tried disabling the profilers but its still the same just useing the default shortcuts.

I douse this in any plane whether default of addon in both FSX and FS9 useing XP.
It also douse it in Vista 64 which is running a totally seperate install of FSX.

Has anyone seen or heard of this before and have any ideas on a fix ?

IanP
May 29th, 2009, 12:41
Is this in a specific aircraft, or general?

I can tell you that for me, pressing ctrl-v or ctrl-h cancels out any setting I have put into the autopilot (on any aircraft) and sets it to whatever altitude or heading the aircraft is at when I press the buttons... I use that to my advantage sometimes, when I get caught out flying aircraft with less modern autoflight systems. ;)

Dangerous Beans
May 29th, 2009, 13:41
Ah it all becomes clear now.
Ignore those numbers in my first post, I came up with them while doing some testing on tne ground before posting.

It looks like the shortcuts just arnt doing what I expected them to do.

For instance in the default 737 using the mouse you can set your desired altitude with the knob and then press the altitude hold button and you will climb to that altitude and then level out when you reach it.

I was expecting the shortcut to do the same as pressing the button in the VC and not hold the current altitude.

OK now I have that straight I have a new question.
How do I setup a keyboard shortcut so it work the way I expected it to, or isnt that possible ?
Thinking about it there must be a way or shurly it wouldnt be possible for the real hard core sim pilots that build replica cockpits to set there buttons up properly.

IanP
May 29th, 2009, 13:44
They use FSUIPC normally, to configure buttons. Pete's software doesn't work the same way as Microsoft set it up so that might be an explanation

I've never used a "physical" cockpit unfortunately (outside those in real aircraft) so can't be sure.

Dangerous Beans
May 29th, 2009, 13:49
Thanks Ian.
I've never played with the button config section in FSUIPC, I mainly just use it for stick calibration and wind smoothing.
Will have to play with it and see what I can come up with.