PDA

View Full Version : Types of formations in CFS2

jackedwardmorris95
May 29th, 2009, 09:58
In Mission Builder, I always select box formation. Suppose there is the max 8 aircraft in your formation, is there a formation where I can have four on top and four below as apposed to them all the same altitude. Failing that can I download something that allows me to adopt the afforementioned formation,
Thanks,

Jack

Shadow Wolf 07
May 29th, 2009, 10:17
First 3 = Finger

Fourth = Echelon Right :ernae:

Cody Coyote
May 29th, 2009, 11:41
Try some of the other stock formations as Shadow Wolf demonstrated.

If that doesn't work for you, you can hand edit the mission file to change the relative positions of the aircraft in a flight and place them pretty much where ever you want. I cover the basics of hand editing in my Mission Building Handbook if you have that.

I also posted here a technique for increasing the number of aircraft in your flight beyond eight. I'm sure that post was lost, but I still have the information and could PM that to you if you need it.

bobhegf
May 29th, 2009, 12:01
Would it be to much of a problem to repost the info?

Blue Devil
May 29th, 2009, 12:39
If you want 4 over 4, ...make two(2) formations.

The problem w/ large formations is that, ...they use only one mind.

- Nail one fighter, ...and the whole formation comes after you.
- Nail one bomber, ...and the whole formation peels off to evade.
- The whole formation has the same skill level and aggressiveness.
- The whole formation has the same designated target.

Having eight(8) or more A/C acting this way is Nintendo.

I typically use two(2) A/C elements, ...and then combine two elements with different skill levels (Lead/ace or vet, and wingman/vet or rookie) to make up four(4) A/C sections (basic unit).

Horizontal and dive Bombers usually will be four(4) A/C elements, ...torpeckers and fighters with two(2).

Make your missions with single elements, ...then copy the elements/waypoints to flesh-out the mission.

As for formations, ...use the echelon left/echelon right element formation combination to make both finger or diamond section formations.

If you want to navigate, ...set yourself up as section leader element.

If you want to follow, ...set yourself up as section wingman element.

In either option, ...you and the other element will have a wingman.

Jagdflieger
May 29th, 2009, 15:45
I usually make my bomber formations in two or three segments.

First flight is say a box formation at 20,000'

Second flight has same way points, but is at 20,500'

Third flight has same way points, but is at 21,000'

Targets WPs can be separated slightly to cover a large area or overlapped for pinpoint bombing.

You can make as many or as few of these flights as your computer can handle and you can also position them to simulate the American "Combat Box" as used by the 8th AAF over Germany.

Be sure to hand edit your .mis file with wordpad or notepad after saving it from the MB to ensure that your bombers act like bombers and not fighters. Example:

Unit Family = 2 (Bomber)

and

Category = 2 (Level Bomber)

This will keep them from peeling off and acting like fighters.

jackedwardmorris95
May 30th, 2009, 06:10
First 3 = Finger

Fourth = Echelon Right :ernae:

How about the fith one, where they are on the runway?

Jack

Shadow Wolf 07
May 30th, 2009, 07:01
That was an echelon right mission take off (same mission as pic 4) from Maskrider's Henderson. Note: when I built the mission, I used the stock Henderson. Maskrider's is a few feet different but still works. That's why the formation is a bit off center of the runway at the start.

Jagd makes a good point on the hand editing. :applause:

bobhegf
May 30th, 2009, 08:42
If you go into the DP file and change the cat and family to a 2 then relable it as an LB and the name of the aircraft you don`t have to edit the mission.Lets take my kate. I have one I saved as the stock kate and then I have one that I have as a Kate LB.The Kate LB will stay in formation where as the stock Kate will come after like a junkyard dog.I also did the same thing to the Bettys. One is the stock Betty and the other is a Betty LB.Now if I see a Betty LB out of formation it is usually damaged and can no longer keep up with the main formation.

Shadow Wolf 07
May 30th, 2009, 09:41
Bob: Will your LBs still make torpedo attacks as well?

bobhegf
May 30th, 2009, 10:01
I haven`t tried them yet on that type of mission so I am not sure. I do have the stock AI as a back up if needed. I also have an idea about the dive bombing Vals. I was thinking ,if I make them into level bombers and then set the attack way points set at 1000 ft and the wp before that at lets say 14000ft will they dive and attack?I will post what I find out.

Shadow Wolf 07
May 30th, 2009, 10:25
... I was thinking ,if I make them into level bombers and then set the attack way points set at 1000 ft and the wp before that at lets say 14000ft will they dive and attack?I will post what I find out.

I did that with hellcats: waypoint before = 8000 ft and attack waypoint 500 ft. It's pretty to watch... :jump: