PDA

View Full Version : Degrading performance

Boomer
May 28th, 2009, 18:14
Greetings Gents,

Hopefully someone will have an idea on what the problem with my rig is.

I have been getting continuously degrading performance. When I got this rig I could run stock FSX w/accel pretty well maxed with blistering frames. Then I started adding all kinds of add ons. Aircraft, scenery, mesh & high rez textures. Adding all that droped my performance considerably (which I expected) but even so I was getting in the high 30's with most settings maxed (only thing I turned down/off was bloom & traffic). As time has been going by my performance has been getting worse even though I havent changed a thing in FSX. At 1st frames droped into the 20, I could still live with it so I did nothing. Then they dropped into the teens so I reduced cloud view distance. Well now in a dense area (specifically NYC w/ Manhatten X) I am getting single digits now with almost evetything turned off. Please bear in mind I was getting 30's there with this very same scenery & yet nothing has changed.

I REALLY dont want to do a reformat because I have allot of payware, some of which is tricky to reinstall (Captain Sim & PMDG are the worst).

Any idea on what could be the culprit & a possible fix?

Only thing that doesnt work in FSX that did is now I no longer have the kneeboard. I get a little black screen now, not sure when that happened. I just noticed it a few days ago. I also hear a "ding" whenever I click on a new aircraft in the aircraft selection screen.

Many thanks for any help/insight you may be able to provide.

harleyman
May 28th, 2009, 18:29
Hey Boomer..Are you checking your systems temps..you may have a hot box due to dust and such...

Have you tried to clean reinstall your vid card drivers?

How about system processes..You know how many typically are running?

Any updates as of late since the performance has dropped..

Just a few places to start I think...

Naismith
May 28th, 2009, 21:41
When I saw the title of this thread I thought someone had been listening in last night on my conversation with my :stop: :censored: :icon_eek:

StickMan
May 29th, 2009, 06:29
I always notice slow downs when adding more and more third party add-ons. If it is not temps witch may very well be, long simming hours and really get those fan on GPU and CPU heat sinks dusty. But if that is not the case maybe a good disk defrag to rearrange were more higher uses files are located on sectors of your disk. I always notice beeter FPS after going awhile without doing so and add-on more add-on as they are realsed and not willing to take the other still awesome add-ons out.

Just my two since, but reformats are a pain but the preformance is always nice to know you have a clear PC in all regrauds.

Boomer
May 29th, 2009, 12:36
Thanks Harley,

I keep the vents/fans clean but I will take a look at vid drivers. I dont think process's are to blame as I didnt add any more than I already had been running.

Naismith, I keep getting spam emails that may help you out. I will forward a couple to ya. :icon_lol:

harleyman
May 29th, 2009, 13:42
Hey Boomer...Another thought came to mind..Sometimes the config just gets slightly corrupted...

Maybe try a delete and let FSX rebuild it then add back in any tweaks you may be using..

Might help..Never know about these things...

JIMJAM
May 30th, 2009, 19:53
Has anyone ever used a air compressor to blow out your computer.
Man it amazing how much crap comes flying out of that thing. We have a air compressor and once in a while I will use it. I have wood floors and keep the side off to keep things cool.
It doesnt take long for the fan blades and any vents to get a coating. The canned air just moves it around. Its worth taking it by a Pepboys or simular and let them hit it for ya. But yes I suffer like everyone else but its self inflicted. People wonder why FSX is slowing down. Let see, UTX,FEX,MYTRAFFICX,ASX.FSPASSENGERS,a grand in complex addons,Helitraffic,FlyTampa sceneries,I could go on and on. And I promised myself after having a total system faulire and complete reload from scratch I wasnt going to fatten the already bloated FSX.

harleyman
May 31st, 2009, 01:15
I use an air compressor that I always use... BUT

Don't let it spin your fans at all..It can kill them as they are not made to spin that fast...

I just hold mine one at a time and clean that area out.

p14u2nv
July 10th, 2009, 15:59
I would be extra careful about using an air compressor as there is a certain amount of latent moisture along with that compressed air especially during high humidity days and it's possibly being sprayed inside your pc when you do that. I'm sure it cleans well tho. Remember air tools are lubricated against friction and moisture, pc innards aren't. Maybe using an electrical cleaner to dispel moisture after air blowing before operation might complete the cleaning? Maybe waiting an hour or two in an air conditioned area removes this concern??? Just an idea or two...

harleyman
July 10th, 2009, 23:59
I would be extra careful about using an air compressor as there is a certain amount of latent moisture along with that compressed air especially during high humidity days and it's possibly being sprayed inside your pc when you do that. I'm sure it cleans well tho. Remember air tools are lubricated against friction and moisture, pc innards aren't. Maybe using an electrical cleaner to dispel moisture after air blowing before operation might complete the cleaning? Maybe waiting an hour or two in an air conditioned area removes this concern??? Just an idea or two...

Thats so true..I have a moisture bottle on my sysyem for that.. a hair dryer will also dry it out after blowing it out.. Plus the cans of compressed air have a propelent that has liquid included, so watch them, never shake them or spray upside down...

Bjoern
July 11th, 2009, 08:29
A soft brush and vacuum cleaner will do the trick as well.

As for the software side of housekeeping: CCleaner, new drivers and a defrag will do the job.

RyanJames170
July 11th, 2009, 08:46
your next FSX addon should be O&O Defrag. i bet its probaly an lot of your problems i defrang after i add any Addon
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

p14u2nv
July 11th, 2009, 12:33
"your next FSX addon should be O&O Defrag."

I've been reading and hearing about this O&O Defrag on several flight sim boards for about a year now...is it that good? Is it geared for flight sim?

harleyman
July 11th, 2009, 14:06
Any good tuned and specked rig should never need a power defragger IMO..

I use IOBIT freeware and my FSX machines are flawless....

One has three drives , and each drive has some FSX stuff on them...LOL

Bjoern
July 12th, 2009, 09:51
I've been reading and hearing about this O&O Defrag on several flight sim boards for about a year now...is it that good?

Benchmark and a very sound investment.

0Artur0
September 10th, 2009, 23:13
Try to defrag your drive... it really helps! But if the problem is somwhere else, than it won't help.. go figure :)

Not having kneeboard anymore is also not a good sign.

Xilence
September 25th, 2009, 14:02
I have a problem to. I use a laptop with a 200GB hard drive, split in 2 partitions, one of 40gb for the OS and some main programs, the other of 160gb for FSX, back-up and other games. This is my only computer and I don't have anything else to back my things up to. I'm thinking about getting an external hard drive tomorrow of one TB for my backing-up and other storaging.

However, the story is that I installed FSX when I got this laptop about a year ago. Everything ran fine although I had to lower the sliders about halfway. I would get smooth (not baby-butt 60fps smooth, but 20fps-smooth) framerates and I was content. Even when I started adding some visual add-ons everything was fine. I added REX, Shockwave Lights and SceneryTech. It was after adding UTX that I started getting lower frames and some weird rendering anomalies (for example, Hawaii being a huge flat area) so I disabled and uninstalled that one. Everything fine again.

Then I reïnstalled FSX because I had too much junk lying around and I am organizing all the planes I have, so I wanted to keep track of all the default files and all the added files. So a reïnstall it was. But after FSX and Acceleration was installed again my laptop had difficulties keeping the FSX default planes flying smooth. So I updated my graphics driver, hoping that would help. It didn't. Then I started looking for performance tweaks, but those didn't help either.

As a comparative I used the server I always go to "Pensacola NAVY Training", where would I regularly fly formations and did carrier landings with smooth framerates. But those are impossible for me now because I'm seeing slideshows instead of a game :(.

Now I am planning on installing Windows 7 on my laptop, and all the storage will be probably transfered to the external storage disk. But I am wondering, does anyone have an idea what might've caused this? And how I could try to fix this? If I could wait with buying an external disk for another month it would be financially profitable for me...

My specs are:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.090206-1316)
System Model: HP Compaq 8510w
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2032MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M (186,81)

Oh and sorry for the long stories, I somehow can't figure out how to leave all the details aside :engel016:

harleyman
September 25th, 2009, 14:57
If you have FSX sitting on a seperate partition than the OS sits on you MUST browse UTX to that FSX partition to install..

Hope this helps..

UTX MUST sit with FSX...

GEX FEX and maybe REX are texture files and can sit on any drive..

Xilence
September 25th, 2009, 16:35
UTX was, but that's not really the biggest problem. The problem started after I uninstalled UTX and reïnstalled FSX. Now I don't have the performance I used to have =S

harleyman
September 25th, 2009, 18:12
Installing FSX you need to fly a short flight , then close and defragg...

Then you need at least FSX SP1 installed..

Then you need to set FSX up as it was before, along with your graphics card settings..

Then you need to apply any tweaks that you had before...

Perhaps you have just not set up the FSX settings like they were before.

Xilence
September 26th, 2009, 03:48
I followed NickN's guide of installing FSX =). I think I'm going to see what reïnstalling everything does for me. After all, I've been running this XP for over a year now, it must be a bit bogged down.