PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring Temps

N2056
May 28th, 2009, 18:04
After completing my build based on the rig that Harlyman recently came up with I wanted to keep track of the cpu temp. I have used HW Monitor & Speedfan. I notice that they don't really agree on temps. Which should I trust? Is one better than the other? Is there a better one? If (okay when) I get into overclocking my cpu that will become important!

While I am at it, what should be my max temp on my E5200 duo core, and which reading is the most important to watch?

harleyman
May 28th, 2009, 19:33
I use HWMonitor...

I get its CPU temp at idol..Then enter the bios and get that reading too..

If they are different i subtract and get the nifference number..Then when reading HWMonitor I ust that number to tell the corrected reading...

I do this to be able to see temps under load while flying FSX in windowed mode and HWMonitor running...

My max temps under load are in the mid 40's..Usually like 42-44

it idols at 28-32

JSpal
May 28th, 2009, 19:51
Another option is to use Prime95 and RealTemp. RealTemp will interface with Prime95 for a 10 minute test. If it passes that with safe temps, you can be fairly certain it will remain in the safe temp range running most programs.

StickMan
May 29th, 2009, 06:35
I use Riviatuner 2.24. Has OSD (On Screen Display) so can view everything in game without dropping into windowed mode, also for overclocking it can show all stats important to overclocking. Voltage in many areas, Temps (CPU, GPU, Voltage regs, HDD, MoBo, MCP), RAM and VRAM amount, FPS, Usage, Fan speeds ,and much more. And it freeware. I use on a Nvidia not sure if works with ATI.

bonefish
June 6th, 2009, 06:04
When I tried rivatuner(a year ago), I could only get it to work on one videocard. Will it work in SLI or did I miss something? I'd like to try it again.
SEAN

kilo delta
June 6th, 2009, 06:23
I swear by the payware program Everest Ultimate. If you have a Logitech G15 keyboard you can display temps,cpu/memory usage,etc on the keyboard's built in screen........leaving you to fly/game in full screen mode. :)

bonefish
June 6th, 2009, 07:03
I searched SLI at the 3dguru rivatuner forum. No SLI.

bonefish
June 7th, 2009, 06:10
Overclocking in SLI mode is just the same as with a single card. Whether using Coolbits or Rivatuner, only ONE set of Core and memory speeds will be displayed. Dont worry, this is totally normal. When you overclock either the memory or core clock slider it is overclocking BOTH cards.

Wulf190
June 7th, 2009, 23:31
For CPU and GPU temps I use RealTemp 3.2. Its a beta version, but works like a charm.

I also have SpeedFan, but I only really trust it for the GPU and 'maybe' the chipset temp. The CPU sensor its reading from on the MoBo isn't right at all...

It gets the idle temp right, but its out in left field as far as an accurate load reading.