PDA

View Full Version : 1960's TV Sign off-T-38 & Highflight

GZR_Sactargets
October 16th, 2008, 11:13
I guess this is N/A these days. TV doesn't seem to ever sign off.

http://current.com/items/76392662_1960s_tv_sign_off (mhtml:{7C3ECAD2-86A0-4D1D-8D11-3FACE5594648}mid://00000226/!x-usc:http://current.com/items/76392662_1960s_tv_sign_off)

Odie
October 16th, 2008, 11:43
Yessir, a quick look at the satellite channel guide does reveal one significantly popular program that runs on nearly every channel titled "Paid Programming".

Syndication returns must be huge as it's on nearly every channel after 1am ! :costumes:

I do miss the High Flight sign-off to round out the evening of TV viewing. During my youth, our local stations out of Shreveport, LA replaced the High Flight sign-off and used a more Southern-flavored one set to the Mickey Newberry song, "American Trilogy".

Moparmike
October 16th, 2008, 12:42
Two of my local network stations still do the late-night signoff once all the infomercials are done. One of em is the "High Flight" with an F-16. Don't see that on cable TV...

Back in the early/mid-80s, I can remember when the old sign-off was an F-4 in flight...right after the old reruns of "Combat" finished up. If I remember right, it was a local vid with a Phantom from the SD ANG. Don't remember staying up late any earlier than that.

OBIO
October 16th, 2008, 13:36
Yep, TV has gone down hill greatly. Used to be when there was nothing left worth showing, the channels would shut down. Now, they air nothing worth watching 24/7.

I remember as a kid being scared awake by the stations going off air. I would fall asleep watching some late late movie and when the movie was over and the station would go off air, the National Anthem would play with some sort of jet footage super imposed over the US flag snapping in the breeze. Then that really loud annoying SCHOOSCHSOOOOOSHSO the TV would make when the signal was cut and the set tried to produce the sound of nothing but failed miserably. I would get up, turn off the TV, grab my blanket from the couch and make my way to my bed. Those were the days!

OBIO

Trans_23
October 16th, 2008, 13:58
You can find a few of the sign offs on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoL-KCFbIpA&feature=related

FAC257
October 16th, 2008, 14:56
I remember as a kid being scared awake by the stations going off air. I would fall asleep watching some late late movie and when the movie was over and the station would go off air, the National Anthem would play with some sort of jet footage super imposed over the US flag snapping in the breeze. Then that really loud annoying SCHOOSCHSOOOOOSHSO the TV would make when the signal was cut and the set tried to produce the sound of nothing but failed miserably. I would get up, turn off the TV, grab my blanket from the couch and make my way to my bed. Those were the days!

OBIO

Then Outer Limits came on the air with that creepy begining where they started manipulating the SCHOOSCHSOOOSHSO. That made waking up after they signed off even worse.

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat, there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits."

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! Head for the covers and make sure your feet aren't sticking out! Ahhhhhhhhh! :)

When I got older I found the after sign-off screen facinating. We were finally old enough where we were allowed to stay up all night. I knew if we watched that blank screen long enough we would eventually catch something secret being broadcast. Fond memories of all nighters building models and playing Avalon Hill games with my best friend keeping an eye on that screen.