PDA

View Full Version : LOD radius tweak consequence

jimjones
May 28th, 2009, 06:03
For those of us who like our photoreal scenery to look good at a distance as in areas of mountains etc, I use the LOD tweak:

LOD_RADIUS=8.500000, replacing the default 4.5 with 8.5.

Works great, but the consequence is that it takes more of available memory as I learned when using the memory hungry scenery, Aerosoft Indianapolis. I could not fly anything more complex than the Trike in clear weather with the Indy scenery. Other planes gave FS OOM faults.

Now I see why MS automatically resets the LOD radius value back to the default if other setting changes are made in the menus.

Sure would be nice if there was some kind of meter to show graphic card memory useage on the fly. Tell me about if you know of one.

Henry
May 28th, 2009, 06:19
Sure would be nice if there was some kind of meter to show graphic card memory useage on the fly. Tell me about if you know of one.
in Vista there is one in the tools
but only on the desk top
H

StickMan
May 28th, 2009, 06:29
You can use RivaTuner 2.1 witch had OSD (on screen display) to watch temps, usage, voltage, whatever you want really even FPS. Can take awhile to set up and get that way you want it, but is the best tool I have for monitoring temps, RAM, VRAM, FPS , etc all in one program. Also shows in the taskbar when at Windows Desktop.

jimjones
May 28th, 2009, 06:43
in Vista there is one in the tools
but only on the desk top
H

Thanks Henry, I have that meter but was under the impression is was RAM memory and not utilization of memory on the graphics card.

jimjones
May 28th, 2009, 06:45
You can use RivaTuner 2.1 witch had OSD (on screen display) to watch temps, usage, voltage, whatever you want really even FPS. Can take awhile to set up and get that way you want it, but is the best tool I have for monitoring temps, RAM, VRAM, FPS , etc all in one program. Also shows in the taskbar when at Windows Desktop.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Nick C
May 28th, 2009, 07:39
Try 12.5, that really sucks the juice out of your system :d

Wozza
May 28th, 2009, 07:54
Try this little program
http://nuclearplayground.com/NuclearPlayground/
it says xp and later so Im assuming it means Vista
Wozza

abrussell
May 28th, 2009, 09:20
Google "memstatus". This little freeware program reports both system memory use and gpu memory use.
Bruce

jimjones
May 28th, 2009, 10:35
Nick, 12.5, no way. :jump:

Wozza and abrussell. Probably the same prog. Used that prog a few years past and it worked, but does not seem to work for me in Vista even though the docs say so. Have either of you had success with it in Vista?

The pics shows that it reports system mem ok, but it never shows any change in the amount of video mem used. It shows 5mb used max or 0 percent.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss230/jimjones_04/memstatus.jpg

Henry
May 28th, 2009, 11:36
yup thats the same for me also
H

Roger
May 28th, 2009, 11:48
Shame, but it never shows more than 5 meg video ram usage.

Wozza
May 28th, 2009, 23:28
Hi
Dont do vista (check my tag line :D )
maybe right click on the exe and give it a XP compat mode or allow it to poll the hardware,if thats even possible in vista
Wozza

abrussell
May 29th, 2009, 09:35
I've only used Memstatus with XP. In flight it normally shows gpu use at about 60%. With Fsx shut down it shows 0%.
Bruce

Roger
May 29th, 2009, 10:28
Hi
Dont do vista (check my tag line :D )
maybe right click on the exe and give it a XP compat mode or allow it to poll the hardware,if thats even possible in vista
Wozza

Hi Woz,
I only downloaded it when the version stated it works in Vista. Tried it in XP compat mode but no joy.