PDA

View Full Version : All Developers Please Read...

n4gix
May 27th, 2009, 11:48
Guys, it pains me to even have to write this message, but it simply must be done...

...without pointing any fingers or naming anyone in particular, and assuming in advance simple innocence...

Using anyone's artwork without explicit permission is simply wrong.

When designing something, it is perfectly acceptable to use any source you can find for sample textures or ideas, but before releasing your work you simply must replace anything "borrowed" with your own artwork. To do otherwise is legally, ethically and morally wrong...

Over the past few months I've noticed portions of copyrighted artwork belonging to Bobby Hayes, Eaglesoft's artist, being used in several freeware releases. Eaglesoft Development Group pays Bobby every month for the use of his artwork and to be perfectly blunt he's not at all pleased at this situation.

None of us at Eaglesoft want to "name and shame" anyone, but recently Ron had to name Alex Guedes as an offender and requested several websites to remove his release(s) from their file libraries, all because he refused to make the request himself, nor has he responded to any attempts at private contact via PM's or emails.

Please, this must stop.

Anyone else who's done this who quickly and quietly "updates" any releases already made will be forgiven...

I must also add that anyone who has done this and does not take corrective action will no longer be on my Christmas Card list, nor will they receive any further assistance from me either via the forums, PM's or email.

Milton Shupe
May 28th, 2009, 09:58
Thank you Bill for posting a difficult but pertinent topic. It's a reminder we all must heed and adhere to copyrights and the protections offered by them.

If its not yours, don't use it.
If you get permissions for use (in advance), ensure that you include credits for the original author(s).
Whether payware or freeware, these rules apply.