PDA

View Full Version : Sone F-1 food for thought

Cazzie
May 27th, 2009, 03:16
It had become increasingly apparent to me that the new tracks in F-1 were so very much alike. Seems I am not alone. So NASCAR isn't the only venue making cookie-cutter tracks.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/02/17/2009-f1-tracks-compared/

Fellow fans, we are being ripped off.

Caz

stiz
May 27th, 2009, 05:12
aint lap length set to keep a full race within 2ish hrs though?

o well i'm not really fussed, so long as they just dont make all the tracks big ovel rings with over 100 laps :sleep:

IanP
May 27th, 2009, 08:09
They just vary the number of laps to achieve that - but yes, the newer tracks are utterly identikit. They also make overtaking next to impossible. Give me the "boring" old tracks over the new "how many turns can we fit in this space?" tracks any day.

...except maybe Mondello Park, which is all turns and I have a soft spot for it. No idea why.

Naismith
May 27th, 2009, 10:52
Aside from Monaco (obviously) there has been more overtaking this season than in many a long time. Possibly down to the Kers (sp?) system of course.

Panther_99FS
May 27th, 2009, 17:17
Cazz,
You're right there are similarities...

FYI...Malaysia, Shangai, Bahrain, & Turkey were all designed by Herman Tilke....

wombat666
May 28th, 2009, 01:11
And the only decent Herman circuit is the Turkish one!!
More a result of the topography than the designer I hasten to add.

At least the Shanghai abomination will be gone soon, all of 'New Shanghai' is sinking at an alarming rate (but not fast enough for me!!) as a consequence of building on poorly 'reclaimed' land .......................:jump: