PDA

View Full Version : How many of you ride mountain bikes?

Cazzie
May 26th, 2009, 15:19
Chris wanted a 15-minute video of the upcoming Shootout at Anglers' Ridge race this Sunday, May 31. I gave him 16-minutes. Thanks to Performance Bike Shop for the helmet/fanny cam and Tony McGregor of Far Out Bike Shop for the high-dollar, high-tech mountain bike loan, I'd never take my hard-tail bikes on these trails, but they are the ones I walk all the time. I really have no idea who the other riders are, they were just on the trail at the same time. The video was culled from a ride lasting and hour and forty minutes +, about 10 miles of the Anglers' Park trail system of 18 miles. I didn't fall, not even once! :icon_lol:

Caz

http://www.svmba.org/Videos/Anglers%20Helmetcam%20Video.WMV

MudMarine
May 26th, 2009, 15:34
Been riding MT bikes since the late 80's. Before most anyone knew what they were. It seemed a natural extention of Moto-Cross racing. I haven't been riding much lately.........

Barvan40
May 26th, 2009, 15:47
Great video Caz, looks like you had a blast. Ride my bike almost every day, but we haven't got a trail like that around here.

Cazzie
May 26th, 2009, 15:50
Been riding MT bikes since the late 80's. Before most anyone knew what they were. It seemed a natural extention of Moto-Cross racing. I haven't been riding much lately.........

Got my first MT Bike in 1990 Mud, a roadie from the early 1970s. Ride Mt bikes 90% of the time now, but I still prefer fast hard pavement to the single-track and have smooth tires as opposed to knobbies on my two MT bikes. I just like the lower gearing and better ride feel on my old bones. Speed looks faster in the video, trust me, I was not busting out for Rosie. It takes a high degree of concentration when riding single-track, every nerve is alert AND BETTER BE!

Caz

Snuffy
May 26th, 2009, 16:17
Does riding a "buzz" bike in the late 70s down an oil lease road off the top of a local mountain count?

Then I haven't ridden one much after that ...

MudMarine
May 26th, 2009, 16:29
Great video and awesome single track. Reminds me of some of the trails we have around here. The stuff around here is very tight, rocky with huge gullies and streams, a speed demons wetdream! It also reminds me of the trails I rode near Lake Placid. MT biking was/is a natural fit for me after 10 years of MX racing. The faster the better!! I had to slow down becuase replacing equipment just became too expensive! Nothing like taco'ing a brand new two hundred plus buck rim!:isadizzy:

The best MT biking advice I could give anyone is, get you ass off the saddle!:engel016: Much like BMX, stand, pedal and hammer! It's so much easier to maneuver tight single track standing up.

I'm also a roadie........MT bikers just love us! hehe:icon_lol: Road training really helped my fitness. Basically, anything with two wheels ROCKS! Live to ride, ride to live!

Navy Chief
May 26th, 2009, 16:29
If I rode ANY type of bike, it would have to be on my property. If I tried riding on the road, even though we live in the country, the idiots around here would run me over for sure.......

NC

MudMarine
May 26th, 2009, 16:31
Does riding a "buzz" bike in the late 70s down an oil lease road off the top of a local mountain count?

Then I haven't ridden one much after that ...

It does in my book Snuffy! I did the same thing with old beater bikes. Us old school MT bikers rock!:icon_lol: These kids now have all the advantages, they can buy a MT bike in the store. We had to build them ourselfs!:icon29:

MudMarine
May 26th, 2009, 16:34
If I rode ANY type of bike, it would have to be on my property. If I tried riding on the road, even though we live in the country, the idiots around here would run me over for sure.......

NC

I can't begin to tell you the stories of idiot drivers who've tried to kill me! There are just too many! But they won't stop me from enjoying the feeling of freedom I get from riding! I do understand where you're coming from Chief! I just wish some peoples attitudes would change towards cyclist's!

Cazzie
May 26th, 2009, 16:40
I can't begin to tell you the stories of idiot drivers who've tried to kill me! There are just too many! But they won't stop me from enjoying the feeling of freedom I get from riding! I do understand where you're coming from Chief! I just wish some peoples attitudes would change towards cyclist's!

Tell you what, I've had more trouble with idiot's dogs than their driving around here. City doesn't have that problem, they have a lease law. Need one here in the county!

Caz

Navy Chief
May 26th, 2009, 16:41
The people where I live drive as though the country road is a race track. My driveway is very close to a curve. I fear for my life sometimes, just walking across the road to my mailbox. I usually listen for a car/truck coming around that curve before I even move. Even then, sometimes they have almost nailed me.

NC

MudMarine
May 26th, 2009, 17:14
Tell you what, I've had more trouble with idiot's dogs than their driving around here. City doesn't have that problem, they have a lease law. Need one here in the county!

Caz

That's VERY true!! I keep a water pistol or bottle with a special mixture (not harmful) in my jersey to discourage the mutts. I yell "NO" then spray them in the face......they remember my voice! I wish I didn't have to do it because it's the stupid owners fault for not taking care of their dog. I'd rather spray the owner in the face. It sucks because I love dogs!

Snuffy
May 26th, 2009, 17:17
I still carry the scars of a dog bite on my upper left thigh.

Stupid neighbor's dog ... odd part was he even knew me ... the dog did. But as soon as I got on that bike ... it was like something clicked ...

I hate rabies and tetanus shots ...

pointy31
May 26th, 2009, 17:33
Enjoyed the video Caz, but who was doin all that hollerin during the ride? I tried mountain biking, but couldn't find a mountain around here...all we got is levees...:ernae: