PDA

View Full Version : Weapons problem

Jaxon
October 16th, 2008, 06:58
Hi all,
In the last months I have spent much time on objects, especially weapons.

Sometimes, we have different models of very common weapon types.
Some come packed in BGL files with other weapons, some stand alone.

My goal is to separate all the objects and have an own BGL-file for each.
Then, I sort them out and keep only the best or the most decent regarding the technique they were built with (FSDS, FSDS2, GMAX - whatever)

I think this is a major keyfactor for the future of this sim.

But with some objects, I ran into troubles. And here I need some help:

I "open" / disassemble the BGLs with BGLanalyze and get *sca files.
These I turn into single objects and assemble them back to BGL using SCASM.

Well, for some weapons I found out, they have a slightly different size afterwards. This is a drawback, but with iterative work - can be fixed!
(Reason is probably rounding up or down of the size figure by BGLanalyze)

But on other models, especially ALPHAsim bombs, I loose the textures in this progress. They are still in the SCA file, but don`t come over to the BGL again?
The models are there, only untextured?

When dissassmbling the BGL again, the textures are still in there. So what is wrong?

If anyone has a clue, please help!

PS: Another weapon I found is this rocket called "tiger".
I have absolutely no idea, what is the origin of it? Zip-file, airplane used, whatever - i have no idea.

bearcat241
October 16th, 2008, 08:14
At some point in the distant past you installed the "Hellfire (Tiger) & AIM9 SideWinder By C.A.Simpson 2001" download, file name "ah64Weapons.zip". The Tiger is actually another designation for a Hellfire anti-tank missile. Got its name from its intended customer, the Tiger Attack helicopter.

Regarding the weap breakdowns, its best to use scasm entirely to break out each weapon from a bundled bgl and create new ones. Just study the scasmed text formatting of a stand-alone bgl (stock or whatever) to understand the how-to's and then use that same format to recreate the breakouts as new stand-alone's.

oldwheat
October 16th, 2008, 08:45
The AlphaSim weapons could do with 'individualizing' in a big way.

OBIO
October 16th, 2008, 08:51
Those darn Alpha Sim weapons packs tend to cause problems one way or another. They are nice weapons, great drop tanks, great pylons...but the conflicts that develop between the various BGL files is a real pain in the rump. I have been planning on replacing the Alpha Sim supplied weapons with those from Dbolt, Ground Crew, US Modern Weapons pack, the Metal Dreams Japanese pack, the Russian Modern Weapons. Just haven't really gotten around to doing all that DP work.

OBIO

Jaxon
October 16th, 2008, 14:09
The problem with ALPHAsim weapons is, each Aircraft has its own pack.
That means, you have the same ~500lb bomb several times in different BGL-packs.
For droptanks of the same name (but with different colours), that one is loaded, which is found first - depending on the BGL name!

Whatever, I found the "tiger", it came with the Apache by Graham & Brendan!

I wonder, why the AIM9 is the same, as built in the model?
The tiger seems the same, too - but the one of the model is untextured?

bearcat241
October 16th, 2008, 14:22
This was made during a time when MDLC wasn't available. Apparently any a/c made originally for FS2000 or FS2002, with AF99, and had modeled weaps on them had to remain that way, unless the designer wanted to rebuild them in "clean config". It was easier to leave modeled weaps on the main model and just build separate but similar working weaps for the dp loadouts.

Most original Hellfire (Tigers) deployed on Apaches were black in color - they're now mostly Army-issue olive drab or sometimes seen painted white as shown in your original pic.