PDA

View Full Version : Vista Service Pack 2

IanHenry
May 26th, 2009, 09:51
Hi everyone,
Vista service pack 2 is out, so lets see if that makes ant differance.

Ian

Mathias
May 26th, 2009, 09:56
Aw ok, who first?:mixedsmi:

harleyman
May 26th, 2009, 09:56
YUP...Been waiting for it to be offered to me too !

So far on this new box I have had NO issues at all..So lets see if SP2 brings some into the mix....LOL

IanHenry
May 26th, 2009, 10:07
I'm insatling it as I as I speak, so fingers crossed.

Ian

Mathias
May 26th, 2009, 10:14
Hmm, windows update doesn't tell me anything about SP2.
It just wants me to install IE 'phone home' 8. :monkies:

Dangerous Beans
May 26th, 2009, 10:29
As Vista isnt my primary OS I'm game for a laugh.
Off to find and install it now, wish me luck.

txnetcop
May 26th, 2009, 10:30
Got it testing today and tomorrow as I have opportunity
Ted

6297J
May 26th, 2009, 10:39
Taking the plunge ..................................... :cost1:

RyanJames170
May 26th, 2009, 10:41
humm... after i get windows 7 lol kinda funny realy oh well im happy with windows 7. but im sure i will DL it for my other computers in the house though...
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Mr.Mugel
May 26th, 2009, 11:11
Have it, didn´t notice any differences yet, FS might be about 0.2 frames faster under heavy load, but that may have other reasons as well...

IanHenry
May 26th, 2009, 11:22
First impressions are good. FSX seems to be a little smoother with less stuttering, although on one occasion when I did get a stutter the sound seamed to stutter as well.
I haven’t found any derogatory effects so far.
One funny thing is that on my system I was never offered service pack 1 as a windows update, I had to download it and installed it manually but with service pack 2 it came via Windows update, strange that!
Regards,
Ian.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

dhazelgrove
May 26th, 2009, 12:12
Not been offered it yet.....

Dave

grunau_baby
May 26th, 2009, 12:16
Who jumps first?:bump:

Had enough trouble with Vista until I got it the way I want, how smooth does it install over SP1, any need to restore all settings???

Alex

hey_moe
May 26th, 2009, 12:26
Seems ok on my system so far...the only thing I saw was after it said to reboot for it to take effect eyes rebooted and when it restarted it caught my pooter on fire...other that it is ok. :monkies:

noddy
May 26th, 2009, 12:38
Downloading now, so here's hoping!

IanHenry
May 26th, 2009, 13:00
No problems at all.

Ian

Dangerous Beans
May 26th, 2009, 13:59
No problems to report here.

Kavehpd
May 26th, 2009, 13:59
:kilroy: ***Hides behind the desk, waiting for his Vista to go kaboom!***

EMatheson
May 26th, 2009, 14:10
Any change in RAM useage? How about CPU load?

Henry
May 26th, 2009, 14:15
Seems ok on my system so far...the only thing I saw was after it said to reboot for it to take effect eyes rebooted and when it restarted it caught my pooter on fire...other that it is ok. :monkies:
well i got bread we can have toasted sarnies:icon_lol:
not on my list for downloads
ill wait an see
H

JIMJAM
May 26th, 2009, 15:57
I just got a new system up and running. After a solid week and 1/2 of reinstalls later, I would rather cut in line at the 20 items or less at Walmart with 2 buggies loaded.
I will sit back and let you daredevils go at this one. Let us know.

Kavehpd
May 26th, 2009, 16:54
Nowhere at all as painful as I was expecting it to be. Took about 10 minutes or so. Everything is fine so far.

StickMan
May 27th, 2009, 00:07
Any change in RAM useage? How about CPU load?

If you tweaked your Vista SP1 then if you install SP2 you will need to redo MSCONFIG and Services.msc. Some of the CPU processes and Services that are un-needed to most that eats RAM or CPU threads come back after SP2 install. I was at 32 Process and after installing SP2 was back to mid 40s. So after install I had to re-labotomized Vista to get back to 32 processes and 850MB RAM v.s 44 Processes and 1.35GB RAM usage at start up.

To everyone being worried about installing SP2, Vista has been stable for awhile now given most daily use so no worries all is good here.

6297J
May 27th, 2009, 00:33
If you tweaked your Vista SP1 then if you install SP2 you will need to redo MSCONFIG and Services.msc. Some of the CPU processes and Services that are un-needed to most that eats RAM or CPU threads come back after SP2 install. I was at 32 Process and after installing SP2 was back to mid 40s. So after install I had to re-labotomized Vista to get back to 32 processes and 850MB RAM v.s 44 Processes and 1.35GB RAM usage at start up.

To everyone being worried about installing SP2, Vista has been stable for awhile now given most daily use so no worries all is good here.

Everything I disabled in MSConfig and Services is exactly as it was before SP2.
I would have disabled them even before SP1, if that makes a difference.

StickMan
May 27th, 2009, 00:49
Everything I disabled in MSConfig and Services is exactly as it was before SP2.
I would have disabled them even before SP1, if that makes a difference.

Well not all services came back, one or two did and some older processes related to sound came back. Also not everyone runs the same Windows OS as in Home, Ultimate etc (witch have different services), application/programs and services based on the LAN network/home media needs. This is why some peoples configuration remain the same while other may need to readjust things maybe. Regardless after updated both these places are worth a look to see what your running. I know I was running a lot more then I was before and needed to re config a few thing to bring back the way I had.

ananda
May 27th, 2009, 00:58
Installing now via Windows Update.

FLighT01
May 27th, 2009, 03:40
Took me 9 months to solve, (Kiss of Death), my lockup issues when running FSX I'm in no hurry to "upgrade". As I use this box for FSX only if there is no improvement to FSX then there is no reason for me.

airfighterjohn
May 27th, 2009, 06:08
seems to be doing ok for me, but did have to go streamline my services again...

pontiuspilotus
May 27th, 2009, 07:04
I upgraded my 64-bit Vista and have not encountered any issues. Strangely enough I regained about 10 GB of disk space, and one addon (Aeroplane Heaven's Tiger Moth) seems to work without crashing anymore if one were to use a popup window. So far so good.

jimjones
May 27th, 2009, 12:22
Still waiting for MS to allow me to download. I've been visiting the update 2 or 3 times daily, but no Windows SP2 yet. Guess MS is rationing access so as to not have their servers overloaded.

VCN-1
May 27th, 2009, 12:28
Still waiting for MS to allow me to download. I've been visiting the update 2 or 3 times daily, but no Windows SP2 yet. Guess MS is rationing access so as to not have their servers overloaded.

How about this site.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=656c9d4a-55ec-4972-a0d7-b1a6fedf51a7&DisplayLang=en

VCN-1

Mathias
May 27th, 2009, 13:06
Aha, seems it's nothing more than a "standalone-collection" of all currently available updates, so nothing new if you run windows update regularly?

Roger
May 27th, 2009, 13:20
Aha, seems it's nothing more than a "standalone-collection" of all currently available updates, so nothing new if you run windows update regularly?

Mathias,
It was a 350 meg download for me and I receive updates automatically so there must have been some new stuff there?

jimjones
May 27th, 2009, 14:06
VCN-1:

That link was for 64 bit, but there were links to the 32 bit version for KB948465, a 348.3 mb download.

Mathias:

How do you know it is a collection? I have downloaded all important fixes and an SP2 version does not appear as a download available to me, perhaps because the collection of fixes has been installed.

What would happen if I downloaded the SP2 and tried to install? Would it refuse to install or mess up Vista?

Cazzie
May 27th, 2009, 14:09
Problems here guys, may not be related to the SP2 installation, but I have no sound. Check all cound configs, dx10 diag, etc., all appear in working order, yet since downloading and install SP 2, I have no sound. Speakers will pop upon opening, but not Vista dingy, no FS sound, No WMP sound, nada.

Anyone else having any problems? Other than that, it's perfect.

Caz

WuhWuzDat
May 27th, 2009, 14:09
SP2 didn't show as available for me, until after I had installed IE8.

Jeff

emorris
May 27th, 2009, 14:41
SP2 didn't show as available for me, until after I had installed IE8.

Jeff

That's odd because it says it contains all updates since sp1, which should include IE 8.

blazefox2
May 27th, 2009, 14:55
i got sp2 installed and my computer hasn't blown up yet so i think its safe although it rearranged all my icons lol

Marvin Carter
May 27th, 2009, 15:03
Works great for me,no probs at all. In Vista 64 bit!!!!

Marvin Carter

dexthom
May 27th, 2009, 15:59
Works great for me,no probs at all. In Vista 64 bit!!!!

Marvin Carter

Same here! :icon_lol:

VCN-1
May 27th, 2009, 16:16
Link for the 32 bit version.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&DisplayLang=en

VCN-1

Warrant
May 27th, 2009, 16:32
5 language :a1451::toilet: all over again!

We Dutchies will have to wait our turn as good :sheep::sheep::sheep:

As if WE, the :holand:, did not pay enough $$$ to MS, so we HAVE to wait!

(Then again, there is a small hidden truth there, we paid in €! Seems to be worth a bit more then the $........:wiggle:...Ok... :kilroy: )
I'll wait for the update then :d

(sounds a bit frustrated. Guess what, it is frustrating! Always reading about updates published in the 5 language community first! Especially for Dutch people this is a double bugger, Dutch language was voted away as the official language in the U.S. with 51% to 49% a while ago. Imagine what happened if the odd's were 2% opposite!). Despite the Dutch efforts on the worlds markets today it is still a frustrating fact we always have to wait! My next OS will be English, pure and simple!)

mfitch
May 27th, 2009, 22:16
That's odd because it says it contains all updates since sp1, which should include IE 8.

IE 8 is not an "update": it is an additional piece of software. Remember MS lost in courts in multiple nations over this issue. That is why neither IE 7 nor IE 8 are in any service packs I suspect. Besides many companies (small to large) are still using IE 6 due to custom software that breaks in in IE 7.

I have had not problem with neither IE 8 nor Vista SP2 (now on two machines with third to come soon).

Mathias
May 27th, 2009, 23:16
Ok, so most don't seem to have issues, but are there any improvements?

Mathias:

How do you know it is a collection?

Jimjones, I don't know really. That was just a guess since they say at the page it contains all previous fixes in a get go compilation and doesn't mention any other updates. I believe this includes everything for all possible server/PC configurations that's why it's so large. Doesn't look like a personalized download to me.

Roger
May 28th, 2009, 01:50
Mathias,
I have noticed no difference with the update with regards to my flight sims so I don't think the changes relate in anyway to using Vista as a gaming pc.

Roger.

dhazelgrove
May 28th, 2009, 02:06
Got and installed without problems.
FSX seems a bit more smooth, overall, but that could be subjective.

Dave

Cazzie
May 28th, 2009, 03:28
Glad there has been no hassles for you fellows, but I have been going through 24 hours of Hell! Main problem is the sound, cannot get windows to play my 5.1 surround sound in anything. WMP will not play music, no wav sound play. On reboot, I lost my external HD, then windows wanted to refoormat it. I don;t think so, there too mucg bloody material on it to loose. Got it working by ireinstalling the HD software and all's okay now. Then when I tested an FSX flight, great rates, but yep, no sound, then I hit my FRAPS record button, FSX juat stopped! Tried FRAPS with FS9 (still no sound), FS9 slowed to a crawl. Fixed that by uninstalling and reinatalling FRAPS, that too works now. But I still cannot get to the bottom of the sound issue. Worse comes to worse, I am not worrying my brain silly. I have a Sound Blaster card in my old Velocity, I'll rip it out and pulg it in here and see what happens.

Windows makes me want to take drugs!

Caz

Roger
May 28th, 2009, 03:49
Glad there has been no hassles for you fellows, but I have been going through 24 hours of Hell! Main problem is the sound, cannot get windows to play my 5.1 surround sound in anything. WMP will not play music, no wav sound play. On reboot, I lost my external HD, then windows wanted to refoormat it. I don;t think so, there too mucg bloody material on it to loose. Got it working by ireinstalling the HD software and all's okay now. Then when I tested an FSX flight, great rates, but yep, no sound, then I hit my FRAPS record button, FSX juat stopped! Tried FRAPS with FS9 (still no sound), FS9 slowed to a crawl. Fixed that by uninstalling and reinatalling FRAPS, that too works now. But I still cannot get to the bottom of the sound issue. Worse comes to worse, I am not worrying my brain silly. I have a Sound Blaster card in my old Velocity, I'll rip it out and pulg it in here and see what happens.

Windows makes me want to take drugs!

Caz

Sorry to hear that Caz:isadizzy:
Have you reinstalled and/or updated your sound card software?

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Cazzie
May 28th, 2009, 03:59
Roger, I have a full sound card builtin to the ASUS MB, it has the three plug jacks for 5.1 Surround Sound, which I use and it has the Input/Output/Mike jacks, which I do not. It seems that Vista is only recognizing the thre jacks I am not using and ignoring the 5.1 sorround sound jacks. When I open the Sound Card interface, I can format for 5.1, but yet it still only shows a 2-speaker system, I cannot click the 6 speakers that I have.

I have resolved all other issues save the sound. Might need a guru for that.

Somewhere in Windows (at least in XP), there is a way to open a Window and assign the Microphone and Input jacks as Output jacks, this is where I need to go, because I remember that in this Window is where I had to clear up an issue like this before and assign a 5.1 Surround Sound system in lieu of a 2-channel system.

It comes natural to folks like Moe and texNetCop who do it everyday, but I swear, when one doesn't do these things on a regular basis, one forgets, especially when the brain starts to fade due to that malady call AGE!

Caz

Roger
May 28th, 2009, 04:07
Caz,
It still might be worth going to the Asus site to see if there is an updated sound file. My Asus Maximus uses an on board BlackHawk sound set and there have been updates issued.

IanHenry
May 28th, 2009, 04:11
Caz,
I had to reset my sound device in FSX after instaling SP2. Try that and see if it works.

Ian

harleyman
May 28th, 2009, 04:17
I have never touched MSCONFIG for services on this new box..Never needed to..But on my old HP I had to just to launch FS9..LOL

Still not offerec SP2 here too...

Cazzie..You get your sound going ?

jimjones
May 28th, 2009, 05:47
Vista sp2

Link to page with SP2 download info:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791/

Link to page with info why sp2 is not offered:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343/

If you are not offered sp2 for downloading see the above link. Well, I did, and it suggested I load all available downloads available whether they be important, recommended or optional. I had 8 optional downloads, and after installing all one at a time and testing each time, I was never given the opportunity to d/l sp2. RATS!

SO, I downloaded sp2 using the page in the first link above, and installed. About an hour to d/l at 750 dsl and the actual install took 20 minutes. MS indicated the install can take an hour or more. So now I have a bunch of stuff on the PC including Windows Live bloatware which I may never use because of the MS suggestion to install all updates.

Most everything works, but now each time I start ie8 my Norton Internet security flashes red and indicates that my personal identiy is at risk. I quickly turn security back on and can continue to surf without that risk returning. I did install ie8 the day before installing sp2, but I don't recall if that identiy risk problem occured just after the ie8 install.

One of the optional MS updates was nVidia's dipslay software, v182.50 that seems to be ok.

FLighT01
May 28th, 2009, 06:26
I wasn't offered SP2 for Vista 64 yesterday but it was offered today (I do updates manually only, had auto updates install a driver to my MOBO right after I got this new box and had to send it back as it wouldn't boot from that point on - I learned that lesson). Not going to install SP2 until I can find out more, it's a 534MB DL for me, that's a lot to go wrong or dig through to find and fix a problem.

StickMan
May 28th, 2009, 06:33
I wasn't offered SP2 for Vista 64 yesterday but it was offered today (I do updates manually only, had auto updates install a driver to my MOBO right after I got this new box and had to send it back as it wouldn't boot from that point on - I learned that lesson). Not going to install SP2 until I can find out more, it's a 534MB DL for me, that's a lot to go wrong or dig through to find and fix a problem.

It will make a restore point if you feel like rolling back or you get a hiccup, but Vista SP1 & SP2 (even giving SP2 has not out long) is stable for 99% most normal home level use. Plus this SP2 should not effect hardware drivers.

Cazzie
May 28th, 2009, 06:41
Should have done it yesterday! I culled the Creative SoundBlaster card from my defunct Velocity Micro and installed it in the new tower. Installed the software and all the updates, took thirty minutes!

But by Jehoshaphat, I got better sound than I ever had! :jump:

It seems the built-in sound card was some sort of USB device and evidently Windows would not recognize it or there was a conflict between it and the External HD, because everytime I fooled with the sound jacks, Windows wanted me to format the External drive, go figure.

But now I have the speaker jacks in the SoundBlaster and nothing in the MB sound card and all so far has been hunky-dory. The sound will absolutely make people leave the room, full 5.1 surround sound, sweet. :icon_lol: Plays Media player, all disks, and MP3s. Even had a CD/DVD burn editor, which I really needed. I'd been using freeware CDBurner, which was much better than the default Vista burner.

I have a heap of house work and a few hours of sleep missed from yesterday that need catching up.

Oh yeah, FSX is much smoother (frame rates remain about the same) and even loads faster since the SP2 upgrade. I don't use the TV Media package I have and supposedly, SP2 was a real kick for that.

Caz

rwmarth
May 28th, 2009, 07:48
Not going to install SP2 until I can find out more, it's a 534MB DL for me, that's a lot to go wrong or dig through to find and fix a problem.

The DL I believe includes x86 and x64 bit versions so its basically twice the size of what actually is to be installed. So a little less to go wrong for you then :)

harleyman
May 28th, 2009, 07:56
Just got it today...Flew FSX and no differences at all..

That also means no problems...LOL

EgoR64
May 28th, 2009, 09:48
LOL - Mine failed on 3 of 3 and reverted 3-times, now, - Dunno, may not be worth is since I be going with 7.0 when it is released.

I will be running the Readiness thing later tonight, Maybe my store manager is corrupted.

No big deal, not like I lost anything - Just Flying time !!

Cheers !!

IanP
May 28th, 2009, 10:01
I'm using two channels of the 5.1 card on my ASUS mobo with Vista64SP2 and Metallica would like to tell me that the sound is working fine...

<...taaaaake my haaaand, we're off to never never land!>
:kilroy:

emorris
May 28th, 2009, 10:16
The aircraft list possibly loads smoother (and quicker?), but other than that I don't see much difference in fsx. It did fix a runtime error for a different application of mine.

EMatheson
May 28th, 2009, 12:03
SO, if this is a compilation of previous patches, it might not be worth my time?
and probably won't impact FPS much... other than making the OS load *slightly* faster by recoding the handling of the patches...
Oh well - if I was able to install SP2, I am sure I would see an improvement... my copy of Vista has a Windows Update error that means I don't have any updates more recent than Nov. 2007... that includes SP1...

harleyman
May 28th, 2009, 12:50
SO, if this is a compilation of previous patches, it might not be worth my time?
and probably won't impact FPS much... other than making the OS load *slightly* faster by recoding the handling of the patches...
Oh well - if I was able to install SP2, I am sure I would see an improvement... my copy of Vista has a Windows Update error that means I don't have any updates more recent than Nov. 2007... that includes SP1...

Man...Delete all your Windows updates...Let $S offer them again...That means that you also don't have all the C++ and Frame work updates..They are desperetly needed for FSX and your OS ....

EMatheson
May 28th, 2009, 15:58
Man...Delete all your Windows updates...Let $S offer them again...That means that you also don't have all the C++ and Frame work updates..They are desperetly needed for FSX and your OS ....

Wish that worked... I have tried that. The problem is deeper than a messed up update installation... I will have to format the disk are reinstall, which, because it is an OEM installation and I do not have an original Vista DVD, will be a huge pain in the buttocks.