PDA

View Full Version : computer driving me nutz

cheezyflier
May 25th, 2009, 11:55
i hope one of the experts here can help me.

every time i insert a dvd full of mp3s it wants to autoplay it. it locks up trying to do it, so i cannot copy anything off of it. i tried to disable autoplay by doing this:

Open Notepad and copy/paste the following into a text file:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf]
@="@SYS:DoesNotExist"

Save the file as something.reg. (You have to be sure to change the "Save File as Type" to "All Files" before saving, or Windows will try to save it as a .txt even if you typed in .reg.

Locate the file you just saved and double-click the file to run it. You will receive a prompt asking if you want to add the data to the registry. Click yes to allow the modification.

however, it doesn't work. can anyone tell me what to actually do?

oh, and i just had a thought... could it be the quotation marks at the part that says "@SYS:DoesNotExist" that is causing it not to work?

Buddha13
May 25th, 2009, 14:09
Hi,
Sounds like it is a problem with the default player.It could be that it has chaqnged the program it thinks you want to play them with.If it is not an mp3 player it will lock up.
Try this insert a dvd whilst pressing the shift key.That should turn off the autoboot for this insertion.Open the dvd and right click on any of the mp3's and go to properties.In the general section it will show you the program that it has set as the default player.If it is not a mp3 player use the change button next to it to set a different player.If it is an mp3 player it is set to then try setting it to a different one.

Buddha13

cheezyflier
May 25th, 2009, 19:28
thanks for trying but holding the shift key doesn't do it. it still wants to auto play the disc. it's a dvd with a zillion music files on it.

Dangerousdave26
May 25th, 2009, 20:40
Assuming you have Windows XP

Open My Computer

Right Click the DVD drive

Select Properties

One of the tabs will be Auto Run

You can set an action for each type of file.

Go to Each File type and select "No Action"

Thats what I do

I hate it when it thinks it knows what I want to do with the disc that I inserted.

Buddha13
May 26th, 2009, 05:19
Cheezyflier,
If you have an mp3 on your hardrive you can set the affinity from that.Just right click pon that one and do as I suggested to set the correct player.You are just resetting the default player for mp3's.It does not really need to be on the dvd to do that.

Buddha13

cheezyflier
May 26th, 2009, 05:41
mp3 files default to windows media player, that is what i want.
my trouble is, when i insert the dvd, it immediately wants to play. i even tried dave's suggestion and it still wants to autoplay. the settings don't "stick"

leonross
May 26th, 2009, 19:42
I always thought that you should hit the Escape or Esc key to stop the auto/run . If not here is a little program that says it will stop the auto/run for that disk .http://www.upgradenrepair.com/Downloads/delete%20autorun/deleteautorundownload.htm