PDA

View Full Version : Online Flying....."A Flop!!!!!!"

gera
May 25th, 2009, 07:33
This weekend I desided to go flying online.......what a surprise!!!!!! its really Down!!!! Down!!!! Down!!!!!! all over...................
Three years ago, I opened an FSHost server with Teamspeak. Soon around 20 regulars from Spain down to Argentina and many form USA and all over were flying all over the world on the server...I play the keyboard organ so I would play some rock on saturday night flights over Teamspeak while 6 or 8 guys were flying over the Andes or whatever sky .....Fun and camaraderie all around......eventually the group disbanded and since only one or two flew in the sever I closed it down.............seems like ages ago!!!!!

The return............theis weekend:running:

I advertised I was going to place my latest flight "Amazonas Air" in GameSpy--a flight along the Amazon River Basin....for about a week here and other forums as well as my site.....I uploaded the flight and by friday some 600 or so had downloaded it, so I thought that maybe a good turn around would happen online.........................No Dice!!!!!! Four souls flew the route in GameSpy!!!!! 4...Cuatro!!!, four!!!!! 1,2,3 4!!!!!!!!..Mamma Mia!!!! what a flop!!!! Floppo!!!!!! super Flop!!!!!!......But wondering about this turn out I started some investigation..................

I carefully checked GameSpy....and to my surprise there were around 75 different sessions....Only 5 had over 5 players!!!!!! the rest had One!!! the host!!!!!!!!!.........so I listed all FSHost servers online by flipping over FSHostSpy....and here was a sorrowful sight if I ever saw one!!!!!!!!! out of the whole list of servers on line......around 100 or so.....only 2 had over 5 players and most had 0.........

Why do people shy away from flying online now that it works so well??????..
I flew from saturday to sunday night........over GameSpy : Helicopters over Hawaii with other two guys and we had great flights all over the islands......flew acrobatic formation in the Extra 300 with 8 guys!!!!!!!! all shooting our smoke trails......we kept good formation at around 3000 feet for quite a few miles over and beyond Hong Kong and made loops up and under a bridge there!!!!!!!....I went over to Alaska where some four "old tigers" were taking off and landing in snow with DC-3īs......I flew the Amazon River, which I hosted, with two guys...one got lost!!!!!.....I went with some WW2 buffs, flying B-17īs and other bombers , to the German skys to make a bomb run over Berlin, formation all the way!!!!.........we chatted over the radio(?), and overall had a great time, as well having the pleasure to meet other simers doing our thing...........

I wonder why the Online Skies are so lonely!!!!................sad:frown::frown::frown: :frown:,................. its so much fun!!!!!!:greenf::greenf::greenf:

IanP
May 25th, 2009, 07:41
Did you look at VATSIM or IVAO?

474 pilots and 71 ATC on VATSIM right now. That's in the early evening for Europe, when America is at work or school. Take a look at http://www.vatsim.net when America gets online later this evening.

Is it possible that you're just not offering what people want? The people that I know who fly online do so for either virtual airlines or for very specific reasons as groups. They don't join "random" sessions.

harleyman
May 25th, 2009, 07:44
I am sorry to say I have never flown online.. :kilroy:

gera
May 25th, 2009, 07:52
Did you look at VATSIM or IVAO?

474 pilots and 71 ATC on VATSIM right now. That's in the early evening for Europe, when America is at work or school. Take a look at http://www.vatsim.net when America gets online later this evening.

Is it possible that you're just not offering what people want? The people that I know who fly online do so for either virtual airlines or for very specific reasons as groups. They don't join "random" sessions.

I did.....and maybe you are right....But Vatsim or Ivao as I see it is for more "professionals" with all their rules and ATC on your back all the time, specially the new comptrollers who want to show off..............I personally like, relax flying and fun.....bushflying type of atmosphere......but maybe you are right...........................Maybe I should have titled my post " Is Fun for all Online Flying a Flop!!Ļ"...so be it.:pop4::pop4:..............................rando m session are a lot of fun.....but it sounds like itīs not your cup of tea.

gera
May 25th, 2009, 07:53

Try it you will be surprised how advanced it is.....and fun!!!:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Reddog
May 25th, 2009, 07:58

And I always fly on line. How ever I only fly on the FShost servers and usually on one of these:
Alaska Winds
FSVintageAir
Arrow Flying Club
Margarita Air Club
the last 2 servers I host the for the clubs.

scotsman
May 25th, 2009, 08:42
I never did it before, however it seems to be a fun - is there a tutorial for lads with two left computer hands?

Mike

gera
May 25th, 2009, 08:48
I never did it before, however it seems to be a fun - is there a tutorial for lads with two left computer hands?

Mike

To start....go to GameSpy by opening an account (free) from your FSX menu.
Log in and you will see all the sessions going on....choose the one you like and hit "join" then just follow the steps and the last one will place you either on the air near the host aircraft or on the nearest airport to the host....thatīs it.....now just fly with your bodies online......:icon_lol::icon_lol:---Note: you will notice that if someone is flying a plane that is not in your roaster that you will see him flying a "Cessna 172"......:icon_lol::icon_lol:-

Boomer
May 25th, 2009, 08:59
I have started flying Vatsim again almost exclusively.

When I am in the mood for a GA/Bush plane ATC (if it is even covering the airport that you are at ) will give taxi & TO instructions & then will clear you to own navigation. They would rather not have to deal with GA traffic.
Only once have I run into a harda$$ ATC & he decided to make me go around & hold then changed approaches & runways on me. It ticked me off because I was all set for the approach I wanted. He increased my cockpit workload imensley but after I finally landed I gotta admit it was kinda fun.
I should mention that when he did that I was in a DC-9. Never had it happen when I was in a GA.

IanP
May 25th, 2009, 09:08
As Reddog says, you might be better trying to organise something on an existing server, with an existing user base. A large number of people don't like GameSpy and hence refuse to use it.

Personally, I very, very, rarely fly online. I don't think it's worth the hassle, but know a lot of people who rarely if ever fly offline. They tend to use FSHost or the online ATC systems.

gera
May 25th, 2009, 09:09
I have started flying Vatsim again almost exclusively.

When I am in the mood for a GA/Bush plane ATC (if it is even covering the airport that you are at ) will give taxi & TO instructions & then will clear you to own navigation. They would rather not have to deal with GA traffic.
Only once have I run into a harda$$ ATC & he decided to make me go around & hold then changed approaches & runways on me. It ticked me off because I was all set for the approach I wanted. He increased my cockpit workload imensley but after I finally landed I gotta admit it was kinda fun.
I should mention that when he did that I was in a DC-9. Never had it happen when I was in a GA.

I also use Vatsim...But only when I want ATC and usually start on a medium traffic airfield......since I flew for 16 years I find it "Stiff" as I was used in real life.........then I would love to fly out in the jungle or out in the country airfields where there is no ATC and all you do is make a flight plan and send it to the Nearest ATC control point...very few here....take off and fly to your leasure, free and just careful to enjoy your plane and the sky.........:icon_lol:...

gera
May 25th, 2009, 09:16
As Reddog says, you might be better trying to organise something on an existing server, with an existing user base. A large number of people don't like GameSpy and hence refuse to use it.

Personally, I very, very, rarely fly online. I don't think it's worth the hassle, but know a lot of people who rarely if ever fly offline. They tend to use FSHost or the online ATC systems.

FSHost servers are indeed much better than GameSpy.....I use many of them that offer free fly and with two or three guys get in and fly with some scenery to boot........GameSpy has gotten better lately, yesterday I had my Flop Session on for 6 hours and it never drop me--that is not bad---besides its so easy for neebies to try online flying.............I guess, most simers are "loners", I think I am 80% of the time, so online flying has really no relevance at the moment......besides, I for one, spend most of my FSX time, developing scenery, rather than flying as loner or not.....:kilroy::kilroy:

JSpal
May 25th, 2009, 09:18
I've never flown online. Sometimes I think I'd like to try it, but some things I have read about it make me think it wouldn't really be my cup of tea - too technical, and not any different that flying in Free Flight mode (for the type of flights that I prefer), except that the other planes zooming 25,000 feet over my head are flown my real people instead of AI.

I'd be afraid of getting in someone's way or breaking some online flight ettiquette I don't really understand. And the fear of that, versus the benefit of just having real voices from ATC doesn't make me think it's really for me.

I prefer flights that are low and slow, VFR, over scenic areas. Flying at 500mph at 30,000 feet, on an IFR plan doesn't really do much for me.

Air Amazonas seems like the former, so I think I'd like it. If someone patient did an online flight for total novices, I'd like to try it.

I think if there was on online mode that was a flight that was something like a group effort search and rescue, or maybe a mass airlift of supplies or evacuation from a disaster area, something like that would be a lot of fun. But maybe that's not how online flights work.

gera
May 25th, 2009, 09:33
I've never flown online. Sometimes I think I'd like to try it, but some things I have read about it make me think it wouldn't really be my cup of tea - too technical, and not any different that flying in Free Flight mode (for the type of flights that I prefer), except that the other planes zooming 25,000 feet over my head are flown my real people instead of AI.

I'd be afraid of getting in someone's way or breaking some online flight ettiquette I don't really understand. And the fear of that, versus the benefit of just having real voices from ATC doesn't make me think it's really for me.

I prefer flights that are low and slow, VFR, over scenic areas. Flying at 500mph at 30,000 feet, on an IFR plan doesn't really do much for me.

Air Amazonas seems like the former, so I think I'd like it. If someone patient did an online flight for total novices, I'd like to try it.

I think if there was on online mode that was a flight that was something like a group effort search and rescue, or maybe a mass airlift of supplies or evacuation from a disaster area, something like that would be a lot of fun. But maybe that's not how online flights work.

Let me say that you will find---almost anything on line----if you have heard of Vatsim and Ivao---they go by the book, that is they make you read a 40 page manual before you should go online in their servers!!!!!!! then you have to learn most "ATC" chatter protocol..etc...like someone said its for people who like to simulate the real airline scenery......and absolute "real life situation at airports controlled by ATC----- they scare more people than what they get......but some like that very much.

I am like you----I flew for real in that "real" world of ATC and its defenitly a hassle but necessary for "real world aviation safety and control"---but now siming I like to fly out in the boondocks, jungles, ravines, mountains mostly VFR.......my Adventure flights, hardly ever get near a controlled airport!!!!...no way!!!!!......................................the easiest way to jump in---is go to GameSpy since all you need is your FSX--if you like it then you download the needed client for flying in many FSHost servers.....you will find guys doing just what you mention....and donīt worry, most are informal and real nice dudes who like to see others come in their session and fly with them down low and slow......some do fly hot and fast too:icon_lol::icon_lol:......Oh, like everything in this world you will also find a "stiff" :icon_lol::icon_lol:who kicks you out of his session because you, inadvertedly "spawned" in the Runway, but most are nice guys......:blind:

JSpal
May 25th, 2009, 09:44
Thanks Gera!

One more question - in online mode are you limited to default FSX planes, or can you fly in an add-on? If someone else is using an add-on that you don't have, do they show up? Do they look like a default plane? How does that work?

Mithrin
May 25th, 2009, 09:48
I fly online almost everyday with a select group of friends from all around the globe. That's how I like it. Every now and then I join a free session but it's mostly just me and those friends. Why? Because I've known those guys for years and we know eachother pretty well. A lot of time the session isn't even about flying but it's more like an online substitute for a pub. ;)

I think you're right, I think the online flying is fairly fragmented. Oh well, wouldn't mind trying out a sim-outhouse session every now and then. It can be a lot of fun!

limjack
May 25th, 2009, 09:56
I have not tried it either for some of the same reasons JSpal gives. Looks like it would be fun but it hasn't inticed me enought to jump in. I am sure once I tried it and got over the fear of messing something up it wood be a hoot. But for now I am happy in my place with AI when I do get a chance to fly.

Jim

Tweek
May 25th, 2009, 09:58
Thanks Gera!

One more question - in online mode are you limited to default FSX planes, or can you fly in an add-on? If someone else is using an add-on that you don't have, do they show up? Do they look like a default plane? How does that work?

If someone else is flying a plane that you don't have, it won't show up correctly, obviously. I think it tries to find the best substitute - for example if they were flying the Plane Design Spitfire and you had the RealAir one, it might recognise that they're both Spitfires (by the name) and show the RealAir one in place of it. Sometimes it's a bit flawed though, and you can get some real mismatches.

If you both have the same plane then all is well!

CG_1976
May 25th, 2009, 10:05
I love a relaxing Experimental flight online with out Vatsim ATC. I stay to Transload FsHost servers most of the time. I will only use FsHost or maybe Gamespy but never Fsinn.

Lionheart
May 25th, 2009, 10:19
I used to fly every day online. I also was in VATSIM which can be tense at times because some ATC really freak out on you if you arent proper. One of the reasons I quit. But flying regular online (non-VATSIM) was great fun. So many cool flights shared with friends online, touring Germany, sunsets on the coast of New Zealand, flying through the Alps.

Online flying can really be great.

I did notice though that most places are gone now though, as Gera pointed out. A shame.

There was a online Switzerland that was brilliant. Had a built in flight plan system for doing a tour of Switzerland. Awesome stuff. Finished it 3 times, about 50 flights if I am correct.

EDIT: I think the fun part of online flying is that its like chatting. You get to chat with a friend or many, and you are flying as well. That is massive fun. I remember once, Milton was showing about 6 of us, all these cool airstrips in Canada, in the winter. He knew all the difficult ones to fly into in the deep mountains. We were cracking up at some of us who were 'Panthering' our landings. I think even Panther was there for some of it. Great fun.....

Bill

gera
May 25th, 2009, 11:33
Thanks Gera!

If you have a plane, FSX native or addon, and someone flies it you will see it. If not you will see a Cessna 172 on all FSHosts (Its the default FS9 plane), I have not noticed in GameSpy but am sure its the same. Have you seen a 172 looping and zooming like an F-86????....lots of fun.:applause::applause:....

I will be using for my next Adventure an FSHost and will place a notice here for those who would like to give it a try.....Iīll be "instructor" or whatever for Neewbies:mixedsmi::mixedsmi:.......and also flight guide ( whatīs that????):pop4::pop4:---------

Nice to see interest here brothers!!!!!!

jetstreamsky
May 25th, 2009, 19:10
Get CumulusX and SimProbe and try Multiplayer ridge soaring, that's great fun flying in the Alps or New Zealand, not having an engine to 'cheat' it can be interesting either keeping together cross-country or racing to a destination airport, trying to find the best line and stay aloft.

Piglet
May 25th, 2009, 19:38
and you can get some real mismatches.

Like this....
I would do more online flying if GameSpy was more reliable, and all the brats left. I also love the sessions that state "NO JETS!", and when entering, find the host is flying a F/A-18!:isadizzy:

RyanJames170
May 25th, 2009, 20:13
i fly on a fshost server i love it
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Wombat_VC
May 26th, 2009, 00:31
If you have a plane, FSX native or addon, and someone flies it you will see it. If not you will see a Cessna 172 on all FSHosts (Its the default FS9 plane), I have not noticed in GameSpy but am sure its the same. Have you seen a 172 looping and zooming like an F-86????....lots of fun.:applause::applause:....

I found this to be a problem of FSX online flying - you can see the guy in the right aircraft only if you have a same plane. I would prefer to see someone in the right plane no matter what he/she flies.

barryward12345
May 26th, 2009, 01:37
If you are having problems connecting to Gamespy - here is the solution

The default setting in FSx.cfg for connection to Gamespy directs you to the "FREE FLIGHT" lobby. This is often full - and you get an error message saying that FSx cant connect. If you change the setting under the MULTIPLAYER section of the CFG to this

DefaultLobby=Bush Flying

you will have immediate access into Gamespy

Barry

Lewis-A2A
May 26th, 2009, 02:21
I use to fly with humberside flyers. Unfortuatly they use SP1 so I had to stop,.. Theres still quiet a few SP1 users out there. Using ATC and tuning the radio manually to the correct feq for voice comms was alot of fun.

If I fly online now its either in private Gamespy sessions or just a case of popping onto netwings fshost, but I havent done it in a good while I must admit.

gera
May 26th, 2009, 06:06
I found this to be a problem of FSX online flying - you can see the guy in the right aircraft only if you have a same plane. I would prefer to see someone in the right plane no matter what he/she flies.

I would too......but itīs like it is!!!!!:bump:-------:guinness:

Lewis-A2A
May 26th, 2009, 06:10
If you want that then addons wouldnt be possible as you would need the same set of aircraft, otherwise your gonna be downloading potential GB's of data once you connect to a server ;)