PDA

View Full Version : The Pagoda

jdhaenens
May 24th, 2009, 19:13
Few places were harder fought to aquire and keep during WWII than Henderson Field on Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands. The Navy did what it could, but most of the hard and dirty work was done by the Marines. The as yet unfinished field was taken in the fall of 1942 and was the subject of two more ferocious battles before the war ended.

There was only one building still standing when the First Marine Force took the field and raised the flag: The Pagoda. The Pagoda would become the headquarters of the Cactus Air Force, two of whose pilots won the Medal of Honor.

It is apt that this scenery object library will probably be available on Flightsim on Memorial Day. Please remember the folks that kept us free then and are still doing so today.

Jim

BTW: The first plane that landed on the field after it was taken was a Catalina 5a.

harleyman
May 24th, 2009, 19:25
:ernae:

Very cool...Great day to show her off too !

dominique
May 24th, 2009, 20:00
Does it also work in FS 9 ? As a frequent flyer in the Solomons and PNG I've being waiting a long time for that one ! thanks :jump::ernae:!

JorisVandenBerghe
May 25th, 2009, 07:52
Yup, I read about it it was on a dirt runway of only 2600 ft in lenght. I was quite surprised to see such a big bird land a such a (relatively) short runway.

Looking forward to it, Jim!

Nick C
May 25th, 2009, 08:53
Nice work Jim :applause:

Please remember the folks that kept us free then and are still doing so today.

Are they not getting a little long in the tooth by now Jim? I'd have thought at least a little arthritis or lumbago would have set in by now, mind if Cohen keeps going...