PDA

View Full Version : 3+ Years ago in FS

Lionheart
May 22nd, 2009, 21:56
Years ago on Friday Nights, being a sim FREAK, I would usually be scouring and searching all of AVSIM, Simviation and Flightsim for any new downloads of airplanes, scenery, repaints, tools, you name it...

Many many years ago, when I had dial up, I would spend hours every weekend parusing through the Flightsim files, looking for things I may have missed. I would be at work, watching the clock, waiting for the day to end, so I could get home and look for new planes and scenery.

Those were the days...

Bill

icarus
May 22nd, 2009, 22:17
perhaps because now we have time only for build and fly our planes?

harleyman
May 23rd, 2009, 01:34
Those were the days Bill... I miss dial-up ! :bump:

Mithrin
May 23rd, 2009, 01:49
Thank you for being so open to us Bill, you've made good progress so far! Now who's the next brave soul to tell about his particular flight sim addiction? ;) ;) :D

icarus
May 23rd, 2009, 02:28
Those were the days Bill... I miss dial-up !

i miss the era but not the dialup...if i had to upload a 200 mb files as now...i become old.

Odie
May 23rd, 2009, 05:12
Those were the days Bill... I miss dial-up ! :bump:

Hey harleyman, you can have mine, bud ! :jump:

jdhaenens
May 23rd, 2009, 05:22
I think I just started designing 3 years ago, but in 1986. I thought I was some hot stuff, downloading programs from compuserve with my TRS-80 Model 100 (LAPTOP!) at 300 Baud.

Hmmm...

Marlin
May 23rd, 2009, 12:52
So whats changed Bill, except for the faster IE connection of course?

You want to talk about freaking out, the other night this place, Avsim and Flightsim were all down at the same time, leaving only Simv.

wow

gajit
May 23rd, 2009, 12:55
So whats changed Bill, except for the faster IE connection of course?

You want to talk about freaking out, the other night this place, Avsim and Flightsim were all down at the same time, leaving only Simv.

wow

Yeah - that was freaky OK

huub vink
May 23rd, 2009, 12:58
Modding my EAW install, Spending expensive minutes via a dial-up connection, just to find out the download wasn't what you expected.....
My hard-disk was 80Mb and an file above 2Mb was already enormous :isadizzy:

Ordinary people like me couldn't afford a mobile phone, so I could only be on the internet when nobody expected anybody to call.... so after midnight :sleep:

Cheers,
Huub

CodyValkyrie
May 23rd, 2009, 13:04
I remember logging into Compuserve and perusing the Flight Simulator groups.

bkeske
May 23rd, 2009, 13:35
Now there is a blast from the past. I was a member of the Compuserve Flight Sim forum 'back in the day'. That was a big influence on getting me hooked, and ultimately lead me to do some scenery design in the old FS95/98 days.

That was a most impressive group.

Henry
May 23rd, 2009, 13:42
Those where the days!
i got my first flight sim 95
down loading from the office
putting on floppy's to take home
then got dial up at home
and DSL at the office
went through combat flight sim
here and netwings before both were renamed,
learning all about add ons and fixing them
The days when VB aircraft , Barry Bromley, Phil Perot
FDG where all young and my hair was dark
Those where the days
now im an ole fart with experience:guinness: an grey hair
LOL
H

Lionheart
May 23rd, 2009, 19:26
LOL Henry..

<--- gray eyebrows, a wild, silvery metallic, glistening, slighlty scraggly cropping of skeeeeery, stress-born eyebrows here...

How about the day on which a new sim was being launched, like CFS3 or FS20004. I remember calling all over town to see who had it in stock several days ahead of time, but everyone was not selling until that certain release date.

I remember finally getting FS2004 in my hand at this game shop. Not even BestBuy had it yet. The guy starts going on about 'let me check the launch date again' and takes it back out of my hands. I knew it was the launch day. I was going to deck him, lolol.. 'giv me my sim!!!!' arrghh..

<-- addict

pointy31
May 23rd, 2009, 20:26
I started this "silly little hobby" as my wife calls it, in the early 80's, don't member exactly what year. I had a Commodore64 and a floppy disk FS2. It was a "slide show" affair, but it was enough to catch my attention. I have had probably 7 or 8 computers since then, and progressed with FS6, then CFS, FS98, FS2000, FS2004, and finally FSX. I am hoping to learn to fly soon...:jump:

fliger747
May 23rd, 2009, 20:42
My first flight sim must have been cirica 1989? My dad had an earlier one that ran essentially a wire frame cockpit on the monocrome screens that came before. The first serious on I had must have been cirica 1991? Flight Assignment ATP, which was sort of usefull as I was checking out in the 737-200 at the time and it had one such that you could practice some of the manuvers such as the high dive etc that required memory items.

I still have dialup.....

Willy
May 23rd, 2009, 21:03
I started out with CFS when it was first released, found a website for it named "Combat Flight Center" (forerunner of Sim-Outhouse) and everything went down hill from there... :d

Javis
May 23rd, 2009, 21:34
Now there is a blast from the past. I was a member of the Compuserve Flight Sim forum 'back in the day'.

Me too ! :)

No SOH, Avsim, Flightsim, Simflight, etc then....

Anyone here remember Brian Quayle, Mike Vidal, Erik Mitchell, Pierre Greutert, Kenneth Kerr, VIP ..... ?

500 poly's max for an aircraft model.... put that in your pipe and smoke it ! :d

cheers,
Jan

bkeske
May 23rd, 2009, 21:51
Sure do, remember them all. I bought Kenneth Kerr's VIP DC-3 package when it came out. Had to wait for it to get delivered by mail. Those were the days payware wasn't looked upon very fondly.

I still have it stuffed in a drawer with other useless software add-on's....like BAO's Europe I

Of course, I remeber some guy named Jan Visser too :bump:

limjack
May 24th, 2009, 07:04
Ahh..yes....waiting 5 hours for a download and then you are kicked off...ouch. Don't miss those days at all.

My computer back then had a heck of a time running FS let a lone using the internet for nothing more than e-mail and basic needs. When I finally gave in and got rid of Dial up a whole new world opened up to me and thats when I discovered all the folks who were interested in FS and all these cool forums.

Jim

dharris
May 24th, 2009, 07:25
I can remember back when everything was file sharing over dial-up. You had to find numbers in your area, and log on and upload a new file for every four or five files you took. So many changes, love being able to puruse files around the whole world now. Problem is now, I spend more time locating new files and collecting than I do flying!

Panther_99FS
May 24th, 2009, 08:40
I was playing Doom online via a 12$/month bulletin board @ 9600baud...(Or was it 14.4 :ques: )

(Baud=unknown word for the young folks) :d

dharris
May 24th, 2009, 08:51
Yeah, I upgraded to a 14.4 modem, now that was moving! for back then anyways. Lots of stuff on the old bulletin boards. I was using an ibm 7.7 mhz machine, we built and it had not one but two 3.5 inch drives, and of course no hard drives. You did not need one back then, you put in your program files on the diskette and ran everything from there.

bkeske
May 24th, 2009, 09:06
One of the earlier sites dedicated to file downloads, and one of my favorites, was the Comox Valley guys. It was kinda sad when they finally abandoned the site.

gera
May 25th, 2009, 06:49
Fooling around with computers since 1969, I fell in love with my Commodore 64 the day I saw it!!!!and soon joined a club where we traded programs every weekend. Bought the "Keylock" BBS program and with my youngest son set it up from 10 PM to 12PM each night....I think I made my best friend then with him!!!...we have been buddies since then. He followed my steps and is now a successful 3D commercial designer/producer making all kind of movies, ads, commercials etc.....But, we always remember when we got our first sim around 1987 or so for the 64 and also one for the Atari computer........it was fun all the way. I would come home from a long day with Wangīs 2000 software development and run into his room to play with the 64!!!!!!....I still have have the habit, first thing I do when I get home is turn on the PC!!!!!!....
Flying FS95 was so much fun, was it the one with the wire planes and panel?????.....In 1975 I had bought a Piper Cherokee and leaned to fly, not in it!!!, I started in a Cessna 152 of all things (?), great aircraft, so to me the natural thing in a computer was a sim............the most important thing, and probably why I "love" all my Sims is that by them I got to be my sonīs best friend and vice versa......Can anyone ask better of a Sim?????........we still fly together when he comes home with my 3 year old grandson and sits with me while his dad takes off in a C-130 (his favorite) and rumbles around the clouds and blue sky........................:kilroy:
OH!!!! I hate Dialup!!!!!!!......lost so many downloads I donīt want to remember..................

stovall
May 25th, 2009, 08:00
For me my first real daily sim fix came with Netwings. Seeing what was new in the download section was a must every day. This was and remained a first class operation. Thanks goes to Netwings for getting me started. European Air War was my first real combat flight sim, I still have the install disc. Somehow just can't seem to throw it away. From then on WWII Fighters, Combat Flight Simulator and Combat Flight Simulator II. When CFSII came out I gave my first try at painting. I decided on an A6M2 zero and painted an aircraft on the Hiryu the morning of December 7th 1941. I actually published the paint scheme and heard back from someone right away. This person said I had painted his father's aircraft and thanks to me he could fly his dad's airplane in a flight simulator. He told me I was doing more for world peace than I could imagine. That is all I needed to hear and I was off to the races.

From there I teamed up with a guy named Graham in Australia and someone who is still around named Krazy (Hermann Boltz). We designed, painted and put the effects on many Combat Flight Simulator II aircraft always having great fun with every production. Because of this hobby I have made friends with wonderful people all over the world. What could be better.

Those were the days and they still are.