PDA

View Full Version : Graphics issues?

Lazerbrainz2k3
May 22nd, 2009, 14:15
Hi all,

I've been having some real trouble with FSX lately.

I've run into numerous instances of flying along when suddenly some of the trees on the ground warp upwards a few thousand feet, with no explanation. I thought I might be overworking my graphics card despite the fact that I have only the stock scenery installed and my scenery complexity and density are both set to a moderate setting, but the effect still appears to occur with the sliders way back. Most of the time if I switch views or pan around the anomalies disappear, but not always.

The other, more serious issue is that on occasion, usually when switching aircraft or locations in the middle of a flight, suddenly the 3D model goes haywire, with aircraft components sticking out of everywhere and slowing my graphics to a slideshow.

I recently (but a couple months prior to the startto these events) upgraded the drivers on my Nvidia 8800, which have since been returned to the stable drivers which came on the disc with no effect on this issue. I also had some upgrade to DirectX via Windows Update, but I don't know if rolling back DirectX is even possible.

Any ideas?

Stratocruiser
May 22nd, 2009, 15:25
You might want to check your graphic's card temps.

I started seeing graphic anomalies like yours on my 8800 as well awhile back (high floating trees and buildings), after 2 years of faithful operation. Turned out the card was simply overheating marginally. I replaced the card's cooling fans with an addon, and my temps dropped 20 degrees.

I was only overheating slightly, apparently, in the 70s C range.

Carey

heywooood
May 22nd, 2009, 15:29
you cannot roll back directx updates but they are not causing the problem anyways

it could be the drivers or that your settings ingame are too high for your hardware...

or - if you tweaked your FSX.cfg WRT Bufferpools or Texture Bandwidth Multiplier then that could be causing the spikes and twisted aircraft rearrangements

harleyman
May 22nd, 2009, 19:14
Use this tool to see your vuid card temps while flying in windowed mode..then use the tool to manually speed up your vid card fan to about 60% and see if it helps....

http://www.evga.com/precision/

Buddha13
May 23rd, 2009, 01:25
Hi all,
I have had this happen a couple of times. Found out it was because I had my settings too high. Not because of overheating graphics cards. Only happened in very dense areas where I used a lot of addon scenery. Worst place was Victoria BC as I had that package and a lot of other addons for that area. Now bear inmind that I was using a 8800GTX 768mb and 4 gb of 800mhz DDR2 memory it stll did it.Now run a GTX280 1GB memory and 4 GB DDr3 1333mhz. Not a problem now.
I origionally sorted it out by knocking back the screen resolution(22 ins screen) to 1680x1050.

Buddha13

harleyman
May 23rd, 2009, 01:39
Thanks for that Buddha13... Good tip ! :ernae:

abrussell
May 24th, 2009, 09:11
I had a similar problem with the trees stretching up into space. In my case it always preceeded an out of memory crash. Using the 3G switch solved the problem.
Bruce