PDA

View Full Version : Tips on control sticks and control inputs.

Gizmokev
October 16th, 2008, 00:11
Ok guys. I originally posted a statement on the CFS3 ONline game thread and seem ot be getting a few replies so reather than highkack it further I thought I would put this one on.

I am sure you guys have answered this one many times previously buit what with the server crash it was lost so sorry for asking again but hey at least now it will be archived....:costumes:

Thanks for the tips already received guys. So manual input on rudder is preferable than auto rudder to aid better aiming and also snap rolls and high bank turn altitude maintenance.

i have the Saitek CYborg 3D Joystick which has the twist dancer rudder inputs...:costumes:...and a top hat for looking about with.....

I have been flying with auto rudder on for the most part so as to try and remain balanced in turn as you don't get the feel when slipping or sliding as you do in a real aircraft and you cant see the slip and turn indicator on the HUD. I know you can change the instruments and such but have not bothered at the moment.

One final q is are you guys using snap looks or scrolling look. I can decide which is better at the moment but I am thinking that scroll would be better to get used to in the long run?

blacksheep-ghost03
October 16th, 2008, 03:41
I use the " hat " switch for snap looks. Turning "auto" rudder off is really going to help you learn. Don't give up stay with it. What kind of " view " are you using?
I use the full screen view. Some ppl use the cockpit view. When spawning try to trim your plane out quickly.:wavey:

Gizmokev
October 16th, 2008, 05:25
I use the full screen view with the little gun sight in....I find it easier to see what is going on....

Snap view eh??? that is what I am using but when in high angles of bank it is harder to see where the other aircraft is when you don't have target helpers on.....just wondered if anyone preferred the scroll look option. Guess it is just a case of playing with it.

nio
October 16th, 2008, 05:46
Gizmo

Better than any snap or scroll view IMHO is the TrackIR, if you have the funds.

Rather than have me extoll its virtues ,follow this link:-

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

best

nio

:wavey:

Gizmokev
October 16th, 2008, 06:32
I have been looking at that and found out that you can do it cheaper though.

See this thread which I am asking about info on.

>>>CLICK ME<<< (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=1668)

Squiffy
October 16th, 2008, 09:57
Another tip: the stock flight models ROT! I strongly suggest the revised versions or the AvHistory ships as they are much more accurate and realistic. This might cause problems for online games. You would be surprised how much differnce it makes! Smooth control and a real sense of "stretching the envelope" when at extreemes of flight.

noelberrier
October 17th, 2008, 09:09
I use hat for scroll view but also use a button for padlock/unlock. A bit unrealistsic, but IRL you do not need a hat to move your head so ...

AFAIK there's no way to change default instruments to the slip/turn indicator, which is almost unbelievable to me as it also helps aiming in what is a combat FS.
One could imagine to include one HUD instrument in the virtual cockpit, or a small ball beneath the gunsight ... not realistic but again IRL you do not need a hat button to look down to your gauges ...

Squiffy
October 17th, 2008, 15:39
Shrinking the hud guage size helps a lot too. I have them at around 65% and that gives plenty of room to see around.

zaraspook
October 18th, 2008, 15:27
Shrinking the hud guage size helps a lot too. I have them at around 65% and that gives plenty of room to see around.

would like to know how to shrink the hud guage?
thanks.

gaw
October 19th, 2008, 04:01
there was, of course, a tutorial about how to do just this lost in the crash but try this http://www.sim-outhouse.com/downloads/download.php?lloc=downloads&FileID=8576 here @SOH and if it doesn't do the trick PM me your e-mail and I can send you an auto installer made by a clever bunch called "46th design team" for the same thing made a long time back called "u-small-HUD-gauges-v1-06.exe" They're a lot nicer to look at!

Squiffy
October 19th, 2008, 19:23
look at the viewui.xml and find the entry for each instrument. Reduce the size number to say 0.65 or something or something smaller than stock and that shoudl work. Back up you original first.

zaraspook
October 19th, 2008, 19:38
thanks gaw and squiffy for the info .