PDA

View Full Version : Announcing...

Tango_Romeo
May 21st, 2009, 19:30
...the opening of The Source File Archive, a new resource for designers and the flight sim community dedicated to the preservation of FSDS and Gmax source files representing untold hours of creative work. :jump:

Every single week we lose original source files from which many of our most popular addons were created. Designers seldom post their source files for fear of piracy, and eventually they are lost through crashes or the designer moving on to other interests. :isadizzy:

This archive will provide a safe haven for designers to park source files AND have control over them.

I am dedicating two large external drives to this project...one for the archive and one for backup. The archive will contain the ZIPed source files (and original textures, if available) cross-referenced by author, program, type, etc. in a database of my own design. :kilroy:

Designers can send their files via email for archiving knowing that the files will not be made available to anyone without the author's specific permission. :applause:

I am committed to managing the project personally, and should I be unable to carry it forward, will find a successor to do so.

Bismarck13, Brunosk, Crashaz, Oldwheat, myself and several other dedicated producers have joined the effort initially. Everyone is welcome to contribute.

Files can be submitted to me directly via email (click on Tango_Romeo in this post to send email) or just PM me for directions.

Essentially, all that is needed is a ZIP containing the source file (with textures if available), a file ID naming the author, design program and sim, and instructions on how the file should be handled. :engel016:

FelixFFDS
May 22nd, 2009, 15:51
At the risk of tooting my own horn .... the problem is, to a certain point, that the models have become so complex that some developers (with notable exceptions) aren't parting with the files.

Of course, that's what the Freeflght Design Shop site has had for years going back to FS5 ....

http://www.freeflightdesign.com

Tango_Romeo
May 22nd, 2009, 18:28
"Of course, that's what the Freeflght Design Shop site has had for years going back to FS5 ...."

...and there have been no problems with those source files, or others at Dave's site, even though they are available to the public.

This new archive will not be available to anyone without the author's sayso. :ernae:

FelixFFDS
May 22nd, 2009, 18:42
"Of course, that's what the Freeflght Design Shop site has had for years going back to FS5 ...."

...and there have been no problems with those source files, or others at Dave's site, even though they are available to the public.

This new archive will not be available to anyone without the author's sayso. :ernae:

So if I understand you correctly, I must request the file, you pass the request on to the author, who then must give permission for you to let me download the file?

-----------------------------------------------------------

The files already freely available at FFDS have been donated by their authors with their stated permission. In the case of some files (daviator.com), FFDS doesn't host them, but links to them. Simviation.com also has a good number of donated source files.

Good luck on your new site. I don't see that as "competition" but rather as another source. Let me know when you set it up so I can add a link in the appropriate FFDS libraries. "For more source files not hosted at FFDS, go to...."

grumpos
May 23rd, 2009, 12:36
This archive will provide a safe haven for designers to park source files AND have control over them.

Err, isn't it easier for the developer to simply burn their source files to a cd?

We already have a fine site where those who wish to share their source files can do so. It seems to me that however worthy the intentions, this site doesn't really offer anything new. At best, it will just spread files around the internet, making them more difficult to find. If it aint broke, it doesn't need fixing.

Best wishes
Steve P

Tango_Romeo
May 23rd, 2009, 13:12
No, no, no....you miss the point. :kilroy:

This is not a website, but a depository. We publish a catalog listing the files and the author's contact information, if he desires that to be the case. You get to contact him for permission....unless he has given blanket permission. There won't be any downloading. I'll send you the file. :engel016:

Designers can use this as a storage service, or a means of sharing their files under strict control. They can change the permissions at anytime, while once you post a source file you've lost control. This is not a website. :running:

Designers can backup their files, but I can tell you that lots of designers have lost everything in a crash. :isadizzy:

Designers also have a habit of moving on to other activities and files are lost in this manner. :isadizzy: At the archive they can leave the files for posterity.

There is no website for sharing source files under controlled circumstances. :pop4:

Tango_Romeo
May 23rd, 2009, 13:19
- FFDS & SimV do have a nice selection of source files, but there are not many and there is no control whatsoever over these files once posted.

- Most of the files at SimV are abandoned projects in sad shape, and few of the source files at FFDS are complete.

- Neither of these sources represents the best work of our designers at all.

- And when was the last time you tried to add something to FFDS? There is no contact info, or method of uploading data on the site....plus many of the download links are dead.

Tango_Romeo
May 23rd, 2009, 13:27
...happens at AvSim. The site is lost, probably without any backup.

Half the stuff posted there is by people who can no longer be contacted, or who have lost their original work. In short, the community is losing a lot of data. :icon34:

If the complete source file for the work was archived, it could be replaced. :male:

If you backup a model, you have a single aircraft. If you backup a source file, you have the means to recreate every variation of that aircraft. :male:

And what's with all the negative vibes??????? :isadizzy:

hairyspin
May 24th, 2009, 07:00
I have no axe to grind here Tango, I've still to finish my first model, so these are only some thoughts on your project. My interest is Combat Flight Simulator 3, not the most up to date sim and with more to lose than most as developers move on to other sims or interests.

We've had a bad run lately with
SOH's server crash last year, due to unforeseen bandwidth problems. A heap of posts and knowledge was lost, although no ftp assets afaik.
The recent death of SOH's last server, although Ickie and staff have done an amazing job getting things back up again. This has also affected several other important sites like Korean Skies
The hack-and-burn at AvSim, which may or may not be recoverable.
Netwings disappearing without trace, taking MAW with it. The site's owner was in hospital when the server went off-line, although he's back out now and afaik plans to get things back up again very soon.
This highlights four probable problem areas for any service

bandwidth/user-generated problems - you can never make anything foolproof (because fools are so smart...)
hardware failure - will your machine keep running faultlessly for the next x years?
malicious intent - we'd all like to jump on the head of the hacker, but nobody has yet succeeded at whack-a-mole on the net, although we all wish Symantec, McAfee et al every success.
Error Code 24 - located 24 inches from the monitor - the human question. The CFS3 community lost a sizeable asset with the death of Ed Wilson last year, the only developer who understood how to create new theatres for the sim. One man is having a crack at reverse engineering the solution from Ed's source files, which will likely keep him busy a while.
I'm not sure how your service will bypass all these problems. I'm not sure I want to leave my work on someone else's repository: I can just hear the Oh, you don't want to do that, you want to do this...:kilroy: :kilroy: :kilroy: as well as Have you seen how he did those details? HO HO HO! :redf: Few of us are as skilled as Milton, or as public-spirited: I should know, I'm reworking his Grizzly for CFS3.

So I wish you well, but I'm not throwing the DVD burner out yet. My current motto is if you see something you like on the net, save it and burn it. And don't let your home go on fire!

Sic transit gloria mundi.

FelixFFDS
May 25th, 2009, 04:42
- And when was the last time you tried to add something to FFDS? There is no contact info, or method of uploading data on the site....plus many of the download links are dead.

OOOO... that hurts (especially because it's true).

The "method" of adding is sending me an e-mail. I reverted to that because of spammers ...

But you're right, I do have to go through and revamp the links....

mea culpa...

I see that your site is a more controlled approach. In the case of FFDS and Simviation, etc., the authors have released their files, and the (real) control they have is the downloader's good faith.

Your method provides the author control over who gets the files, and relieves them of having to do the actual "transfer" ...

Tango_Romeo
May 25th, 2009, 06:12
OOOO... that hurts (especially because it's true).

The "method" of adding is sending me an e-mail. I reverted to that because of spammers ...

...not my intention to belittle FFDS, as it is a valuable asset, which I have used on a regular basis as a learning tool. And being responsible for more than one site myself, I know the feeling of duties in need of my attention. :engel016:

Thanks for the headsup on emailing additions to yourself. I am glad to know that, and may have a contribution or two. :wavey:

Tango_Romeo
May 25th, 2009, 06:25
I see that your site is a more controlled approach. In the case of FFDS and Simviation, etc., the authors have released their files, and the (real) control they have is the downloader's good faith. Your method provides the author control over who gets the files, and relieves them of having to do the actual "transfer" .

...precisely. In actual numbers, there are few enough designers/developers in business today (at least that is my feeling), so managing files shouldn't be that large a chore. But that's also probably wishful thinking on my part. :isadizzy:

Tango_Romeo
May 28th, 2009, 19:55
...to announce that The Source File Archive is now officially in existence. :wavey:

The first section is exclusively FSDS files and there are now nearly 300 of them in the archive. :jump:

The Gmax section is to be added shortly. :engel016:

The catalog has almost caught up with the archive's contents.....with me working as fast as I can. :running:

Sixghost
May 29th, 2009, 06:32
I may have a few sources I no longer intend to finish (Ju87D, Re.2001, He.162 to name a few). Once the Gmax section is open, just give a shout!

Tango_Romeo
May 29th, 2009, 07:56
I may have a few sources I no longer intend to finish (Ju87D, Re.2001, He.162 to name a few). Once the Gmax section is open, just give a shout!

I'll be starting on the Gmax section in a few days. Let you know as soon as it's up and ready to receive. :running:

This archive is something that I've been thinking about for a long time. Now that I'm retired, I have some time and I need a rest from FSDS2 after the A-20 and B-25 CFS2 projects. :kilroy:

FelixFFDS
May 29th, 2009, 14:00
Impressive start!!!

(Where's the catalog?)

Milton Shupe
May 30th, 2009, 05:50
TR,

I will be happy to send links to all my source once the gmax section is ready.

Meanwhile most of the primary model source is available here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=1324

Felix, you may also store and share these at FFDS if you wish.

Thanks

Tango_Romeo
May 30th, 2009, 08:24
Impressive start!!!

(Where's the catalog?)

Right now it's a simple M$ Excel spreadsheet listing the subject, file name and author in FSDS and Gmax sections....in Excel97 and Excel07 formats. I haven't decided whether to post the catalog in downloads, which will complicate updates, or simply send it via email to those who request a copy of the current catalog.

Now that I have the base catalog established and the first 400 or so source files stored in the archive, I willl be adding a column for file size and contact information. These ZIPs range from 22KB to 46MB in size.

There will be errors and smoothing to be done.

The archive itself is divided into FSDS and Gmax sections, with subsections for Public access, Permission Required access and Locked. Each of those sections subdivides into aircraft, ships, scenery and weapons. :running:

Tango_Romeo
May 30th, 2009, 08:33
I can only stress that the archive is up and running. The catalog is simply a WIP and will be for some time. :isadizzy:

Perhaps I will just post the catalog on my personal website or on the Fox Four website, where I can easily update the catalog as admin.

Tango_Romeo
May 30th, 2009, 08:40
TR,

I will be happy to send links to all my source once the gmax section is ready.

Meanwhile most of the primary model source is available here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=1324

Felix, you may also store and share these at FFDS if you wish.

Thanks

..., Milton. I've already added some of these to the archive. :wavey:

Needless to say, links to further works will gladly be accepted. You can easily PM me, or click on Tango Romeo in this post and select Send Email. :jump:

OOPs! The CAG is standing by tapping her foot and offering me the electric hedge clipper.....Coming, Dear. :running:

Tango_Romeo
May 31st, 2009, 00:42
Here's the first proof run of the catalog. It is a Rich Text Format (RTF) file, which can be opened with any word processor, including WordPad. (In final form it will be available on the Fox Four website as a convenient PDF file that I can easily update as needed.)

I've put it in a ZIP and renamed the file adding a .TXT to the name to make it possible to attach here. Just save the file, turn it back into a ZIP by removing the .TXT from the file name, unzip it and open the RTF file with your word processor. :kilroy:

Tango_Romeo
June 1st, 2009, 06:06
The first edtion of the FlightSim Source File Catalog is now available as a 13-page PDF file using this link to view/download:

http://www.simviation.com/lair/files...ileCatalog.pdf (http://www.simviation.com/lair/files/SourceFileCatalog.pdf)

The Archive now contains roughly 400 FSDS and Gmax source files.

Baldy's and Milton Shupe's files were the last ones added.......:engel016:
Attached Thumbnails http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=748&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1243865014 (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=748&d=1243865014)

FelixFFDS
June 3rd, 2009, 15:10
May I suggest that, to save on communications, for the files that are listed "P", you also may want to include the link to the site(s) where they are hosted - FFDS, Simviation, Alphasim, etc. as appropriate.

I understand that for those marked "PR" people still have to come to you to obtain them.

For the some of the FSDS files from FFDS that you've cataloged, note that several are converted AF99 or Flight Shop files, and as such not "true" FSDS originated files. There are also a couple listed that refused conversion, no matter what I tried... :)