PDA

View Full Version : All that work only to flub at then end!

Wulf190
October 15th, 2008, 21:41
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

5+ months of working

spending TONS of time creating lesson plans

36+ hours of Flight time in the aircraft

4 hour oral exam

1.6 hours flight exam

.... And I bust my CFI check because I pulled the power a second too soon, and got nervous of the soft field and floated the plane after I touched down. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ah well, I have gotten the dual and have the re-check set up for Tuesday. This time no flubs!:banghead::costumes:

Better to screw up landings and know what I did wrong, I know people who got busted because they couldn't teach how to fly straight and level....

Lionheart
October 15th, 2008, 23:39
Oh man.......... Sorry to hear about that.

I hope it goes better on the next run Wulf190. Sounds like you have it all down pat already. At least its good practice.

Bill

deKoven
October 16th, 2008, 03:41
While you're waiting look up the statistics on lawyers being admitted to the bar. Slightly hair-raising.

:icon_lol:

lifejogger
October 16th, 2008, 03:59
Hang in there Wulf you'll get it, as my instructor use to say practice, practice, practice and more practice.

Panther_99FS
October 16th, 2008, 05:09
We've got confidence in you! :applause:

cheezyflier
October 16th, 2008, 05:13
We've got confidence in you! :applause:

+1 you can do it!!!!

mike_cyul
October 16th, 2008, 06:51
You'll get there, no prob. I failed my first test flight because we were in a 172 with almost empty tanks at that point, and I couldn't get it to spin! CFI said he couldn't give a pass that time, but next day we went up in a 150 and no problem.

I also almost blew the low-level navigation part, as I got lost, but found my way out. I thought I was screwed, but the CFI said he didn't mind my getting lost, because what counted for him was how I found out where we were and solved the problem. He could see I knew how to do the low-level nav techniques, it was handling the unexpected that showed him I knew how to fly.

You don't know it, but you may become a better pilot than others because of what happened today.

Mike

gigabyte
October 16th, 2008, 16:09
Hey Wulf, hang in there and don't let this bother you, I agree with Mike Cyul, this could very well amke you a better pilot. A very wise old mechanic once told me there are 4 P's to keep in mind to accomplish anything worthwhile, Practice, Patience, Persistance, and a little Prayer never hurts...

Keep the faith my friend, and you will be fine next week, besides, you didn't screw up the landing, everyone knows every landing you can walk away from is a good landing :wavey:

WuhWuzDat
October 16th, 2008, 17:48
Gee, read the thread title, and thought it was about Chicago Baseball!

N2056
October 16th, 2008, 18:34
I would think that this would make you a better instructor because it has given you an unexpected experience that will also be one that happens to a student from time to time, and you will have a perspective on their feelings that other instructors might not have.

I'll be bold enough to congratulate you in advance on passing your next check ride :ernae:

gregoryp
October 16th, 2008, 19:14
Wulf190
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Don’t sweat it, just relax and enjoy yourself. You’re about to enter the most rewarding teaching profession there is. Remember your students want to be there.
<o:p></o:p>
I’m retired now, but the time being a CFII was the most rewarding period of my life.
Best advice, once you start working don’t get caught up in the “gotta get to the airlines ASAP mode”. Too many CFI’s do that and take suck to new levels.
If you get a chance to teach ground school that is also a blast. Do it.

OBIO
October 16th, 2008, 20:32
If they ever begin handing out certifications for people to teach other people how to crash every single type and model of aircraft made...I'll be first in line. :costumes:

I envy you chaps who have real pilots' licenses and who know the thrill of real flight. I am so afraid of heights that I get queazy standing on our elevated patio...which is only about 10 off the ground. No way in the world could I allow myself to be lifted a thousand, two thousand feet off the ground....I would have to be strapped down, drugged into paralysis and I would still manage to mess my shorts.

OBIO

Wulf190
October 16th, 2008, 20:52
I'm in no rush for the airlines. I really want to teach for a few years gain experiance, and have some fun doing it.

As far as this re-check I've been working hard at things and even polishing up an old short/soft field technique I never quite got the hang of.

You see when I was going the check the first time around I was setting up things so that I'd be landing on the 1000ft marker and established on Glide path with flaps set 30, gear down and locked and speed set for 63kts. About 1.75 stripes before the marker, on a no or light wind condition I could pull power flare normal and hit the marker. For higher wind conditions I'd pull power later then 1.75 stripes. The nice thing about this approach for a short field is that the decent rate is pretty smooth 400-500FPM. My CFI instructor, who does fly for a regional wanted me to set up fro it because the glide slope helps make sure that my appraoch is stabilized.

But there's an issue with this style. If I'm off my timing by even one second, I either undershoot or over shoot. (I busted by pulling power just a second too soon). Also I'm literally dragging the plane in on the 3 degree glide slope, with full flaps, and it take 15-18 inches of MP to keep with there and if the engine were to quit, I'd never make the runway.

I went up with two of my other Instructors. They are both light aircraft pilots, and their technique is different. The set up begins on up wind at the mark you want to land at. Gear down, reduce throttle to 10-12" MP, add 10degrees flaps and trim for 70-75KTS, and start down at 700-800+FPM, and turn base. Then you guage what the winds are doing to you then add 20-full flaps and reduce speed to 63kts. Turn final, and then look at your aiming point, which will be well before where you will touch down. Makeing small adjustments with 'some' power keeping the aiming point steady, the decent rat is still 700-800fpm+. Then over your aiming point you flare and should hit your target. Upside to this approach is that you can keep the pattern small by doing this, and your not useing gobs of power to fly it. Also your not relying as much (if at all) on the VASI or PAPI, so your ability to fly in to short fields, or fields that don't have VASI or PAPI is improved.

The down side to this approach is the high rate, and angle of decent. It takes getting used to, and requires practice. I'm sure most passengers wouldn't like it too much.

When it comes to soft field, the first style of the short approach is easy to morph in to a soft field because of the use of the glide slope, and the slower rate of decent, on the second style it requires a timly 'slight' burst of power in flare. Too much power during flare will cause you yto either float, or if you do touch down momentarily, you will bounce back in to the air. (which is how I busted the soft field)

Like I said I knew what I did wrong!:d

txnetcop
October 17th, 2008, 04:06
Hey Wulf190 my first check ride was not exactly the thing dreams are made of. I had picked up some bad habits from a bush flyer who was teaching me...scared my CFI to death. Hang in there second time is a cinch!
Ted