PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Race Event

Moses03
May 20th, 2009, 17:16
To All Pilots:

On behalf of Merc Air, I would like to announce an upcoming event that is being hammered out with details to be posted soon. I'm sure a lot of you are ready to get back in the saddle after resting up from this year's RTWR.

We can’t disclose any information at the moment but I will say if you are a fan of “heavy iron” and engines that tend to leak a lot of oil, you will not be disappointed.

Please stay tuned for further development.

Moses
"Member in questionable standing, Merc Air/Flight 19 Adventures™"

Willy
May 20th, 2009, 17:35
:monkies:

Dangerousdave26
May 20th, 2009, 17:46
I have been waiting for this one :applause:

N350BC_Doug
May 20th, 2009, 19:11
This sounds pretty good...
All those ready to fly a bit raise there hands...

:monkies:

N350BC_Doug

Taco
May 20th, 2009, 19:31
:applause:

Haitun
May 20th, 2009, 21:43
:monkies: That's goooood!!!!

RedGreen
May 21st, 2009, 17:30
A race involving big planes with propellers? Where do I sign up?! :jump:

EasyEd
May 21st, 2009, 18:51
Hey All,

Sounds interesting! :ernae: I'll be watching for details.

Since a lot of these events require duenna and often it is good to post pictures of your flights I'm hoping I'll be able to upload images. I can't right now.

-Ed-

salt_air
May 22nd, 2009, 17:23
A race involving big planes with propellers? Where do I sign up?! :jump:

That makes at least two of us Red.

I'll sit back quiet and wait for the details of this good news...:kilroy:

Kowalski65
May 24th, 2009, 04:15
Myengines will probably be leaking oil all over the crash site, but Im in!

fliger747
May 24th, 2009, 08:49
Some of these events have been by far the most fun!

Willy
May 24th, 2009, 19:25
Let's see... Boeing 307 Stratoliner, Douglas DC-4 or the Avro Lancastrian. Decisions... decisions... decisions.

O' course that's just my short list. Others might vary. :d

Willy
May 25th, 2009, 17:48
Being outfitted in a secret hanger at a secret location.

PRB
May 25th, 2009, 19:29
The rumor mill has indeed been “humming” with activity over the past few weeks. It would seem that “big iron” will be a basic requirement for this mission, but I have that covered, more or less, as can be seen in this image from a secret location, code name “banjo.” All I need now is a whole lot of red and white paint to make this 121 look like a TWA Connie, and the nearest paint store is, well, lets just say it’s far away.

EasyEd
May 25th, 2009, 21:29
Hey All,

Testing (= seeing if I still know how to fly!) at an equally undisclosed location! :bump:

We'll see what the rules look like before deciding.

Now lets see if a picture upload works.

-Ed-

PS It did! It did! Finally!

RedGreen
May 26th, 2009, 04:07
Well, I for one am man enough to disclose my location...:173go1:

I'm currently at Flightsim.com Multi-Player Adventures World Headquarters at Holkham Bay, Alaska, looking over our fleet of propliners. Now let's see..

I could take a DC-7.

Or I could take a DC-7B.

Or I could take a DC-7C.

Dang, this one's a tough decision... :kilroy:

Taco
May 26th, 2009, 05:56
I sure would tell you where we are, but I don't know, and nobody tells me nuttin! And now, the big question----What bird to fly?

Taco: Pilot
Dudley P. Fudpucker: Co-Pilot
No name: Engineer
Cabin Crew: Ladies from the Miss America Contest.

Yippee! it's going to be a great and fun flight!:jump:

Flyin Bull
May 26th, 2009, 11:07
Just wish I could pick what to fly:wiggle:

Moses03
May 26th, 2009, 13:24
Nice Lancastrian there FB.

Something to consider: Speed is important but you will also have to keep an eye on your fuel usage. This will not be a throttles to the firewall event (unless you want to burn up your fuel budget quickly). A mix of fuel management, flight planning and luck of the weather.

Also, the cutoff date for production aircraft is 1951 or so. If this stands the DC-7 will not be eligible. The DC-6 variants will be available though.

I better not say anything more until the rules are released. Soon!:engel016:

salt_air
May 27th, 2009, 17:58
This is sounding better all the time........

One of my favorite parts of these events is "shopping" for aircraft, paint jobs, sound files, and whatever else the rules will allow.

Gettin' excited :jump:

Willy
May 27th, 2009, 22:57
Wasn't much shopping for me :d.

My favorite propliner is the Boeing 307 Stratoliner so while I might not be the fastest or the most modern, I'll be having fun which is what this is all about.

Willy
May 27th, 2009, 23:57
For those that may need to brush up on their Radio Navigation...

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/

salt_air
May 28th, 2009, 03:17
Wasn't much shopping for me :d.

My favorite propliner is the Boeing 307 Stratoliner so while I might not be the fastest or the most modern, I'll be having fun which is what this is all about.

Amen to that! :ernae:

Seems I remember a real good panel upgrade for that bird,,,,even includes a Radio Range hook up.

I was gonna use it on one of Red Greens' adventures....a flight from La Guardia to Holkham Bay (near Juneau).

Wound up in the RR equiped DC-3 "riding the beam" all the way across.:running:

That was a lot of fun!

I'll wait on the rules post,,,,the 307 could be just the plane.

Willy
May 28th, 2009, 15:58
Don't forget the DC-2s, DC-3s, DC-4s, DC-6s, Connies, B377s, Convair 240/340, C-46 Commandos, etc. And there's a lot of non-US big iron out there too like the Avro Yorks, Lancastrians, HP Hermes, Canadairs, some interesting Italian and French aircraft too. If you find one that you're wondering if it's legal or not, ask.

EasyEd
May 28th, 2009, 16:43
Hey All,

If the rules allow DC-2 and 3 that lets a whole lot of WWII twins in plus there are all the heavy bombers. Even a Mossie has a higher MTOW than a DC-2. Interesting. Can you RB-50 the whole thing in one leg? Lots to choose from.

-Ed-

RedGreen
May 28th, 2009, 17:05
Indeed. I'm very curious to see the handicapping system that's going to allow a DC-2 to compete with a Stratocruiser!

Speaking of the Stratocruiser, I'm sort of curious as to why that plane will be allowed while the DC-7 and the Starliner are forced on the sidelines. (I think all three of those planes are pretty similar in performance....in fact the B377 may be even faster than the other two.)

Not that I would mind flying a DC-6 for this competition, but I did kinda have my heart set on the DC-7. :wiggle:

Willy
May 28th, 2009, 17:17
Hard to carry passengers in a bomber ;)

Tako_Kichi
May 28th, 2009, 17:42
Speaking of the Stratocruiser, I'm sort of curious as to why that plane will be allowed while the DC-7 and the Starliner are forced on the sidelines.
Moses said on page 1 "the cutoff date for production aircraft is 1951 or so" which means the DC-7 and Starliner are too young to compete as neither went into production until after that date.

RedGreen
May 28th, 2009, 17:50
Moses said on page 1 "the cutoff date for production aircraft is 1951 or so" which means the DC-7 and Starliner are too young to compete as neither went into production until after that date.

I know. I'm asking why 1951 was selected as a cutoff date. :bump:

Dangerousdave26
May 28th, 2009, 18:06

No not hard at all Willy and if they start getting Testy....

:a1310:

EasyEd
May 28th, 2009, 19:02
Hey All,

Not hard to carry passengers in a bomber. Just set em in the crew stations. How many would that be on a B-17? Plus you could have a few just settin around. As for the Mossie there was a VIP passenger carrying variant.

The plane I'm curious about is JBK's Tudor - a nicely modeled taildragger passenger carrying plane. It either barely does or does not make the 1951 cutoff.

-Ed-

Willy
May 28th, 2009, 20:55
Just wanted to clarify a couple of things here.

This event is going to be about propliners and airmanship. While eligible, DC-2s probably won't stand much of a chance of winning but if someone wants to fly one, then more power to them. We're more worried about some of the later propliners running off with the show, that's why the 1951 cutoff date. The DC-7s and late Connies would make it very difficult for anything else to be competitive.

We'll get more info out as soon as we can.

whitehawk_2009
May 28th, 2009, 21:06
Hmm, big iron really isn't my strong point. Most SOH team members will remember I tend to stick to warbirds.

However, the SM.79 falls into both categories! Time to practice!:jump:

WH

Flyin Bull
May 29th, 2009, 00:36
Ed,

the Avro Tudor first flew on the 14th June 1945. Im currently flight testing the Tudor as my possible entry :jump:

Steve

salt_air
May 29th, 2009, 04:43

Yeah,,,loadin' up is a chore, but unloading is a different story altogether!

:wavey:

Moses03
May 29th, 2009, 09:22
Yup, the Tudor is good (looking at that one myself). Keep in mind when you are testing these propliners that fuel consumption will play a large role. For example, Manfred Jahn's new L-1049G Connie is a speedy ship but it sucks down the avgas pretty good (especially at high map & rpm). What we are trying to do is set up the race so that you are encouraged to fly within normal real-world operating specs. :kilroy:

Critical alt will not be you best option at times. You might try experimenting with different altitudes, map/rpm settings to find that sweet spot that gives you best speed and range with min fuel flow.

We will be posting the race overview and list of eligible aircraft this weekend.

MM
May 29th, 2009, 11:53
From the Spring Event Team, here is a start:
--------------

Evita

It is 1949 and the War is over. You've kicked around selling insurance, managing an orchestra and running a night club...but it all seems so very pedestrian. Your heart has been captured by the air. There must be a way to use your hard earned airmanship skills to fly for a living. But the domestic airlines are completely inundated with post war pilots. So you turn your eyes to the romance of foreign adventure.

Meanwhile, by 1949 Argentina and the wildly popular Peron regime have Argentina set to reenter the world’s economic stage. Argentina is an immigrant nation populated mostly by Europeans much as is the U.S. and Canada. With a multidimensional economy that combines agriculture, natural resources and heavy industry, the elites are confident about their nation’s future. And, as the rest of the world is only starting to recover from the war, Argentina is poised to become an economic power. The only obstacles are the geographic and cultural distances that separate the nation from the commercial centers of Europe and North America.

Wanting to showcase Argentina’s future, the regime has just completed Buenos Aires’ Ezeiza International Airport (SAEZ) which, at the moment, is the world’s largest airport. To integrate Argentina into the world economy, the political and business leaders want to establish both fast communications and regularized passenger air links with the major cities of both North America and Europe. Accordingly, they are conducting an aviation race to both encourage entrepreneurs and to capture the world’s attention.

The winner of the event will gain two critical advantages. First, the government has offered a substantial cash prize and the promise of lucrative air mail and airline contracts. And second, and most important, the government has negotiated the landing rights necessary to challenge the monopoly stranglehold of Pan American Airways and Panagra. (Pan Am and Panagra will be allowed to compete, but clearly the Peron government would prefer to find serious alternatives.) The winner will reap the rewards of opening up a new continent.

The Event

You have an opportunity to manage an entrant in the event. You may run an aircraft for one of the established airlines who are looking for entrepreneurs to take on that task. Or you may set up your own airline. The goal is to demonstrate a capacity to make a fast and stable connection between Buenos Aires and the centers of Europe and North America.

Each entrant selects an aircraft with an appropriate mix of speed, efficiency, range, and payload. You then begin with a full crew and passenger load (see below) and proceed toward Buenos Aires, visiting a specified number of Commercial Centers before completing the final leg to the cheers of a boisterous welcoming crowd.

Highmike
May 29th, 2009, 13:20
I think I can see some Wings of Silver fitting somewhere into the picture here. Mmm, I'll start endurance testing today.

Tako_Kichi
May 29th, 2009, 13:36
I think I can see some Wings of Silver fitting somewhere into the picture here.
I hope users of Accu-Sim technology will be allowed to turn it off for the race otherwise it may be a bit unfair if they are forced to fly while trying to maintain full engine management while others are in point and fly aircraft.

MM
May 29th, 2009, 14:22
Larry and Mike,

The Argentine government would love to see the new giant Boeing in action. That cocktail bar will come in handy for the long trips North and South.

The A2A Stratocruiser is very much encouraged. Accu-Sim is entirely optional.

Best,
Mike

jt_dub
May 29th, 2009, 16:13
I plan on using the A2A Stratocruiser with Accu-sim enabled. :d

In my opinion, if you don't fly the A2A Stratocruiser with the Accu-Sim ON, you will be missing much of what makes this one of the best flightsim aircraft ever. It is very satisfying to finish a very long flight with 4 working engines and 4 working turbos. What could be more fun than checking turbo bearing temps evey 2 minutes or so on the climb to cruise.

Jeff W

Willy
May 29th, 2009, 17:26
I'm glad to see folks flying a Stratocruiser in this event. It was one of my early choices, before I decided to just go for the fun and good times with the Stratoliner.

We're still working on the aircraft list with a couple of last minute possibilities.

MM
May 30th, 2009, 03:48
Jeff, delighted to have you on this event!

IMHO, those who complete the event with Accu-Sim deserve props from the rest of us...if you report the number of engines that you manage to keep running. ;)

Mike

salt_air
May 30th, 2009, 12:24
I'm glad to see folks flying a Stratocruiser in this event. It was one of my early choices, before I decided to just go for the fun and good times with the Stratoliner.

We're still working on the aircraft list with a couple of last minute possibilities.

Hey Willy,

Just like to say thanks to you guys for all the work and efforts it takes put these events together for all of us.

Mostly the time it takes for the research and testing and what all.

I'm sure these thoughts will be echoed amongst the group.

Appreciate it!,

MM
May 30th, 2009, 14:36
Hi all,

Here is a tentative list of the eligible aircraft. You should take a look and see if you have a favorite that we've not included. (Might or might be eligible.)

Mike
(This post in multiple parts)
---------------------------------------------------
Aircraft

The Argentine race sponsors are eager to see the new pressurized “trio” of the Lockheed Constellation, Douglas Skymaster, and Boeing Stratocruiser. (Lockheed L-049/L-749, Douglas DC-6, and Boeing B377.) Those charismatic aircraft are certainly available. Pilots may also choose another contemporary passenger aircraft. The intent here is to allow pilots to fly the airliners that they like. (Military entries are not eligible. Understandably, the Argentines insist on civilian carriers, rather than another nation's military, as their connection with the rest of the world.)

Beyond the glamorous "big three", also available are these contemporary aircraft: Avro Lancastrian, Avro Tudor, Avro York, Boeing 307, Breguet BR.763 Provence, Canadair North Star/Argonaut, Douglas C-54/DC-4-1009, Handley-Page Halton, and Handley-Page Hermes. In addition, the British have asked permission to run the single Bristol Brabazon prototype as a test flight (approval pending).

Further, pilots may choose to fly one of the following "Regional" airliners. However, these entrants are not eligible for the event's prize as they do not suit the goal of uniting the Northern and Southern hemispheres in luxury and style. These include the Douglas DC-2, C-47/R4D and DC-3, Curtiss C-46, Convair 240, FIAT G.12, and Vickers Viking. Pilots may fly them and hope to attract world-wide attention and possible investment in a startup regional airline.

In practical terms, the following FS models are eligible. Note that we allow minor historical inaccuracies with the Breguet BR.763, DC-6B, and Lockheed L-1049. Pilots who wish to operate other aircraft should send nominations to the committee for consideration. (Please do so early enough so that testing may be conducted.)

Unless otherwise indicated, a "substantial load" consists of 40 passengers for a total of 8,000 pounds in payload. Each aircraft must carry that payload on each leg.
(Continued)

MM
May 30th, 2009, 14:37
Avro Lancastrian: Manfred Jahn; Plane Design (Eligible but under further review)
[Substantial load: 8,000 pounds of passengers and mail]
Avro Tudor: Jens Kristensen
[Substantial load: 21 passengers, 4,200 pounds]
Avro York 4: Manfred Jahn

Boeing B307: Jens Kristensen
[Substantial load: 21 passengers or 4,200 pounds]
Boeing B377: California Classics; A2A Simulations (FSX only)

Breguet 763: Barney Bigard

Bristol Type 167 Brabazon: Jens Kristensen

Canadair Northstar/Argonaut: Jens Kristensen

Douglas DC-4: Jens Kristensen
Douglas DC-6 CA-15 Early: Jens Kristensen
Douglas DC-6 CB-16 Late: California Classics
Douglas DC-6B CB-16: California Classics.

Handley-Page H.P. 70 Halton: Alpha Simulations
Handley-Page H.P. 81 Hermes: Jens Kristensen

Lockheed L-049: FSDZigns; AlphaSim (Probably not eligible)
Lockheed L-1049G: Manfred Jahn. Use the snub-nosed version without wing tanks to simulate the early L-1049. The L-1049H is not eligible.

The following "regional" airliners are available but are not eligible for the prize.

Douglas DC-2: Ouiver Team
[Substantial load: 9 passengers or 1,800 pounds]
Douglas DC-3: MSFS Default (F9 & FSX); MAAM-SIM DC-3, C-47, RD4
[Substantial load: 14 passengers or 2,800 pounds]
Convair 240: California Classics
[Substantial load: 26 passengers or 5,200 pounds]
Curtiss C-46: Tom Gibson and Libardo Guzman
Vickers Viking: Rick Piper
[Substantial load: 16 passengers or 3,200 pounds]

In all cases, pilots must fly the latest simulation model. (Numbers of older versions of these models have less realistic flight dynamics.) Those flying California Classic aircraft should check the website for the very latest base models and then download and install the new versions. (The separate FDE flight dynamics posted on the site are not always sufficiently new.)

Highmike
May 30th, 2009, 16:19
There are a lot to choose from, but I can't help feeling lucky to have an opportunity to try my A2A Stratocruiser, and somehow I don't think I'll be alone feeling that. What a nice bird!

whitehawk_2009
May 30th, 2009, 17:56
Oh bummer, no Sparviero for me. :frown:

I wonder if there's a Dan-Air paint somewhere for Jens Kristensen's DC-4...

WH

Dangerousdave26
May 30th, 2009, 20:49
Lockheed L-1049G: Manfred Jahn. Use the snub-nosed version without wing tanks to simulate the early L-1049. The L-1049H is not eligible.

For those of you who have not been paying attention to the fast and furious release of Connies here lately you need to get the latest update to have the Snub-nosed version without the tip tanks to show. It also fixes a hand full of other problems.

l1049g_u.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=135452) at flightsim

Base pack l1049g.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=L1049G.ZIP)

Come to think of it this version is not even in the base pack you need to install a paint for the 1049vc_s.mdl model.

There is this one FS2004 KLM L-1049E Super Constellation (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=135649) This repaint is of an L1049E but it is still the G model.

And this one l1049hre.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=135561) This is a ten pack of repaints only one is for the snub nose model without tip tanks.

Now who said what about point and fly aircraft and turning off Accusim?

These Connies have engine damage modeled in and you better hold it by the numbers or Boom.

Come to think of it the DC-6B has some surprises in store for the person who runs it flat out.

RedGreen
May 30th, 2009, 20:55
Well, I've gotten offers from several U.S. airlines, but I rather like the offer I've gotten from a certain airline based in Miami. It seems they've already established service to Havana (I'm going to have to invest in some property down there, it's becoming the new Las Vegas!) and they're looking to expand further down in Latin America.

They've sent me a copy of one of their advertisements and a record containing a theme song they've recorded for themselves. I must admit the song is rather catchy!

http://www.nationalsundowners.com/watch_us_shine.mp3

I think I've found the right airline to provide my services for. :jump:

buzzbee
May 31st, 2009, 08:18
Calclassic Propliners are nice! I picked up the DC-6B in United Colors. I think I might have already fouled the engines up as I am only getting 32" hg Manifold Pressure at FL220. I think I need to go back and read the takeoff procedures again, as I think I should be able to get 36" and a higher True airspeed (currently 239.

Dangerousdave26
May 31st, 2009, 08:40
No that sounds about right

CA for the 6B-C16 engine is 7500'

@ 20,000 I was using almost full throttle to maintain 34" of MAP

RFields
May 31st, 2009, 10:10
Well I was really planning to fly Jens DH-91 Albatross

but I see a repaint posted today on FlightSim of US Navy C-121J TE-00 b/n 131654

Since I have about 750 hours on that specific aircraft, though it was PR-50 when I flew on it 72-74, that's going to be my ride.

whitehawk_2009
May 31st, 2009, 14:06
That is so cool Reggie! To have a sim version of a plane that you logged so many hours in! One of the neatest aspects of our hobby.

WH

buzzbee
May 31st, 2009, 15:53
Better results with the DC-6B following the documentation for climb and cruise. It fly 's real nice.

Need to try and get some experience with the Cal Classics Strato Cruiser, but in my initial opinion, I kind of favor the DC-6.

Lots to take into consideration here.

buzzbee
May 31st, 2009, 15:56
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vgEzmHvN4Wk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vgEzmHvN4Wk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Moses03
May 31st, 2009, 18:49
Reggie might have to slap a TWA or BOAC logo somewhere on his Connie, otherwise the Peron regime might not be so accommodating...:173go1:

...(Military entries are not eligible. Understandably, the Argentines insist on civilian carriers, rather than another nation's military, as their connection with the rest of the world.)

RedGreen
June 1st, 2009, 01:09
Well folks, I've started my new job down in Miami, and I must say it's been quite enjoyable thus far. (Of course, the fact that the airline is based in South Florida is a definite plus. :wiggle:)

After several days of company orientation and familiarization with the newfangled DC-6B (and yes, being fitted for a snazzy looking uniform!) the company has decided to put me through my paces with some short haul passenger flights. First up was Miami to Havana. Had a great view of the Florida Keys on the way over. Some low clouds had made their way into Cuba by the time I arrived. My approach wasn't the best, but overall it was good first commercial flight.

Now to find a ritzy nightclub to hang out at...:jump:

Highmike
June 1st, 2009, 02:58
I've been practising my instrument approaches in the Boeing Stratocruiser down under in Australia because, as you will have gathered, it will be winter in Argentina for the duration of the race, and Australian winters can be just as nasty.

But I've encountered some anomalies in the Stratocruiser's ILS compared with other instruments I've experienced. I've consulted the cruiser's documentation, but so far I have been unable to find an answer to my question. It seems that the needles on the instrument are centred when the bird is on runway heading and on the glideslope, and they indicate these conditions reliably, but I am unable to interpret the deflection of the needles when I am on either side of the runway or above and below the glideslope!

Perhaps a more seasoned veteran of such ground breaking technology could provide me with some useful information.

MM
June 1st, 2009, 05:33
ILS? Outside of North America, we have neither VOR nor ILS in 1949...nor GPS of course. Who needs those futuristic things when you have a good ADF and an accurate clock? (And perhaps Glenn Copeland's Wind Drift gauge [twidgau.zip at FlightSim.com].) ;)

(That said, any additional knowledge about the A2A Stratocruiser would be a boon!)

Highmike
June 1st, 2009, 06:30
Oy! I'm going to have to wait for the publication of the rules. Sounds a lot like a race I flew back in '34, if my rusty ole memory serves me correctly.

Kowalski65
June 1st, 2009, 10:36
Daft questions I know but where do I find the Breguet?(it looks like a fat Connie!)

And are the FSX connies with no VC's eligible?(cant remember who done them but they are FSX only on Flightsim.com) I have so many of these planes downloaded I dont know where to start(even though I will most likely fly the Lancastrian!!)

Moses03
June 1st, 2009, 11:39
Unfortunately the only site that hosted the Breguet was AVSIM. I can try to email it to you. PM me your addy if you want.

I don't think any of us tested the Connies in FSX. Those versions would be acceptable unless the fuel consumption (or some other airfile variable) is all out of whack when flying in FSX.

buzzbee
June 1st, 2009, 12:25
Wow, just reading the tutorial over at California Classics. I have a bit to learn and practice to get the best performance out of these classic airliners. I can't wait to get hooked up tonight and set up a longer flight.

salt_air
June 1st, 2009, 12:50
Well folks, I've started my new job down in Miami, and I must say it's been quite enjoyable thus far. (Of course, the fact that the airline is based in South Florida is a definite plus. :wiggle:)

After several days of company orientation and familiarization with the newfangled DC-6B (and yes, being fitted for a snazzy looking uniform!) the company has decided to put me through my paces with some short haul passenger flights. First up was Miami to Havana. Had a great view of the Florida Keys on the way over. Some low clouds had made their way into Cuba by the time I arrived. My approach wasn't the best, but overall it was good first commercial flight.

Now to find a ritzy nightclub to hang out at...:jump:

Looks like a good'un there buddy-ro.

You be careful in Havana,,,,,I stopped there on the way home after the 1941 Pan Am Race to sit a spell, chase a few local gals and collect myself for the rest of the trip.

You might guess I got hooked up with some dignitaries young'un and into a bunch of trouble.

"What's that to me?" you ask....well I was kinda worn out after the big race and well,,,,to make a long story short,,,the picture the cops took of me looked a lot like your avatar. ....LOL :icon_lol:

Taco
June 1st, 2009, 13:55
Thought I would do some night flights before heading out to the east for the start of the big race. Flew her by the numbers and a heavy load of passenger and cargo, and by george landed just under the max landing weight. Will wonder never cease!:USA-flag:

Kowalski65
June 1st, 2009, 15:09
PM on its way Moses.The FSX Connies are 1049As & I think made by the same team as did the G/Hs so should be on the money

Moses03
June 1st, 2009, 16:46
Emails on the way Kowalski65-

Not sure what I'm going to fly yet. Been testing the Connies and the big Douglas iron but I keep finding myself drawn to the beleaguered Avro Tudor. Maybe this BSAA version? Decisions, decisions...

http://i42.tinypic.com/1zzgg0m.jpg

If the Bristol Brabazon didn't get such 'orrible gas mileage I would be flying that one. :engel016:

RedGreen
June 1st, 2009, 17:04
Looks like a good'un there buddy-ro.

You be careful in Havana,,,,,I stopped there on the way home after the 1941 Pan Am Race to sit a spell, chase a few local gals and collect myself for the rest of the trip.

You might guess I got hooked up with some dignitaries young'un and into a bunch of trouble.

"What's that to me?" you ask....well I was kinda worn out after the big race and well,,,,to make a long story short,,,the picture the cops took of me looked a lot like your avatar. ....LOL :icon_lol:

Well Austin, I didn't run into any trouble with the authorities, since it was back to work after a one night stayover. I did have a close call with this big guy called Jose. People told me not to dance with his girl, but she kept holding me and saying "Come a little bit closer, you're my kind of man, so big and so strong...."

But that's not important.

Had another short haul flight to attend to, this time heading from Havana to Tampa. Flew over a thunderstorm to the north of Cuba, good thing we left while the winds were still calm in Havana. The "bosses" at the airline keep asking me why I'm always flying at "Max Cruise" on my Manifold Pressure. Apparently I'm only supposed to use that when I'm facing headwinds. I told them, "My passengers want to get where they're going sometime this month, correct?" They said, "Yes, but we'd appreciate it if you didn't burn so much fuel in the process."

Oh well, there was no faulting my approach and landing on this trip. Nice and smooth, and all the paying customers barely felt a thing.

Willy
June 1st, 2009, 19:35
Been doing a little knocking off the rust myself in the Merc Air Stratoliner over the midwest.

salt_air
June 2nd, 2009, 04:07
Well Austin, I didn't run into any trouble with the authorities, since it was back to work after a one night stayover. I did have a close call with this big guy called Jose. People told me not to dance with his girl, but she kept holding me and saying "Come a little bit closer, you're my kind of man, so big and so strong...."

But that's not important.

Had another short haul flight to attend to, this time heading from Havana to Tampa. Flew over a thunderstorm to the north of Cuba, good thing we left while the winds were still calm in Havana. The "bosses" at the airline keep asking me why I'm always flying at "Max Cruise" on my Manifold Pressure. Apparently I'm only supposed to use that when I'm facing headwinds. I told them, "My passengers want to get where they're going sometime this month, correct?" They said, "Yes, but we'd appreciate it if you didn't burn so much fuel in the process."

Oh well, there was no faulting my approach and landing on this trip. Nice and smooth, and all the paying customers barely felt a thing.

Well Red,

Just tell the " boss" if they didn't have to be anywhere they woulda stayed home,,,,no money then.

BTW: That's a handsome beast you're flying. That panit brings out the "6's" lines nicely.

May join the "Connie Club" that rapidly forming there although,,,,,,I was wondering about flying boats of that era.

Get a look at Willy's 307!

Still waiting for the explaination (rules/object) of the task ahead of us to see which plane I'll be usin'.

Spent some time in the "slammer" with Jose.....good thing you left, the guy's crazed. They had him in shackles the whole time.

:ernae:

salt_air
June 2nd, 2009, 04:10
Been doing a little knocking off the rust myself in the Merc Air Stratoliner over the midwest.

First Class paint Willy!!

Keep plenty of wax on the nose emblem so the bugs will rinse off easy...:icon_lol:

Moses03
June 2nd, 2009, 15:14
For anyone interested in the Breguet, FSAviator has updated the FM. Hosted over at Cal Classics.

http://calclassic.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1207

MudMarine
June 2nd, 2009, 17:50
Looking forward to some fun!!

Willy
June 2nd, 2009, 21:20
Took a flight from St Louis to Nashville in the Strat. Just using dead reckoning, I ended up a few miles to the east of KBNA, but still close enough I could pick it out in the distance. I guess as long as I get there it counts....

Right now the plan is to fly the Stratoliner to Buenos Aires. As it's just barely faster than a speeding DC-3 (I'm hoping someone will fly a DC-4 for a comparison), the idea is instead of getting there quickly, go for the total luxury flight. Take advantage of the sleeper berths and load up a couple of dozen very wealthy passengers, some fine looking flight attendants, a chef for meals and make it like a flying cruise ship. After all, it's one of Boeing's more reliable designs provided the fuel tanks are properly checked for fuel level.

What could go wrong?

buzzbee
June 4th, 2009, 11:14
The last couple of nights I have gotten on and done some testing, but all flights were carried out at an initial operating ceiling without any climbs as fuel was burned off. Tonight I am hoping to be able to stay at the controls and see what type of range I can get in the DC-6B with the addition of step climbs as the aircraft gets lighter.

This is a whole new type of flying and it is a fun challenge to attempt to simulate it as accurately as possible.

buzzbee
June 5th, 2009, 16:15
Took off for the next leg. I forgot that these things are designed to use oil. During climb I started to get a low oil warning light on #4. We may have to divert to top the engines off.

PRB
June 5th, 2009, 16:23
That's cool. I read in the A2A manual for the 377 that the limiting "consumable" for range in that plane wasn't gas, but oil! Amazing!

jt_dub
June 5th, 2009, 19:39
I've been offered a flying job with Juan Trippe's outfit.

Practicing my ndb nav skills in the B337

buzzbee
June 5th, 2009, 20:07
Does anyone have this file? I have parts of twidgau.cab files. I am just not sure what else I need to add it to my panel.

Moses03
June 5th, 2009, 20:10
Here you go Buzz. I think it is one of these two.

MM
June 5th, 2009, 20:12
Buzz, search at FlightSim.com for "twidgau.zip". It's there.

Highmike
June 5th, 2009, 20:44
I've been looking at that big radar map thing in the Stratocruiser and thinking "I can't see how I'm going to need a driftmeter with that sitting there!" Or maybe that map gauge thing in the Stratocruiser contradicts the rules?

MM
June 5th, 2009, 21:33
;) Mike

Watch this spot for the full rules...soon.

RedGreen
June 5th, 2009, 22:50
After a few days rest in the Tampa area (those old folks sure play a mean shuffleboard!) it was back to the commercial pilot duties that the airline has assigned me to keep my skills sharpened. This time it was a longer flight, heading from Tampa out to New Orleans. After hearing some mutterings about some of the rules of this upcoming event, I finally broke down and threw out the magic box that had always told me what my position was.

Took off heading to the south and my passengers got a nice view of Tampa Bay on the way out. With a 20 knot headwind most of the way, there were no objections to using Max Cruise power this time around. I really missed that magic box during the approach though. No NDBs or VORs to speak of around KMSY and I ended up way left of the runway. I was able to make a safe landing, but it wasn't particularly pretty. Oh well, as long as I'm not filing an incident report (or worse!) I'm more or less satisfied.

salt_air
June 6th, 2009, 03:27
Does anyone have this file? I have parts of twidgau.cab files. I am just not sure what else I need to add it to my panel.

Hey buzzbee,

That file is in the library at FlightSim. Pretty straight forward readme file and Glenn Copeland does good work.

I prefer Dave Bitzer's drift7.zip also in the library there.

Regards,

salt_air
June 6th, 2009, 03:29
;) Mike

Watch this spot for the full rules...soon.

Okay Mike....I'm watchin'.....:jump:

buzzbee
June 6th, 2009, 07:50
Thanks for the info. Yet another aspect of Flight Sim that I am just scratching the surface on is Panel Editing.

Dangerousdave26
June 6th, 2009, 10:18
Thanks for the info. Yet another aspect of Flight Sim that I am just scratching the surface on is Panel Editing.

No scratching involved Buzz just go purchase FS Panel Studio. Hands down it will be one of the best purchases you ever make for flightsim. It is worth every dime when you get into these events and need to make panel changes to add radios and nav aids.

salt_air
June 6th, 2009, 13:39
No scratching involved Buzz just go purchase FS Panel Studio. Hands down it will be one of the best purchases you ever make for flightsim. It is worth every dime when you get into these events and need to make panel changes to add radios and nav aids.

Dave is shootin' straight buzzbee, quicker you get done the quicker you learn and have time for other stuff.

Trial and error is ok if that doesn't bother you and you've got the time.

16 euros mate...:wavey:

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=FSP-ESD-001

RedGreen
June 6th, 2009, 16:35
I was resting up in New Orleans, with a flight scheduled to Jacksonville the next day. I was sitting in the hotel room contemplating all the gumbo I had had the previous night when an urgent telegram was delivered to me. Its content follows:

CAPT GREEN:

YOU ARE OFF THE JAX FLIGHT STOP OFFICIAL RELEASE OF EVENT RULES MADE BY PERONS STOP OUR STARTING LINE MONTREAL STOP YOU ARE TO GET YOUR CREW TOGETHER PROCEED TO OUR BASE AT KPIT AND THEN ON TO CYUL NO DELAY RPT NO DELAY STOP WILL MEET YOU THERE FOR FINAL PLANNING AND PREP STOP HAPPY LANDINGS STOP

NAL MGMT
MIAMI

Unfortunately, the airline doesn't have an established route from New Orleans to Pittsburgh, so it was looking like we might make a costly no passenger run. Fortunately for us, a DC-4 chartered for Pittsburgh was having engine trouble and the passengers were happy to upgrade to our DC-6 for the flight.

Rapidly shifting winds at our altitude near the Gulf Coast made navigation a real chore, but the winds became less unstable when we got to Kentucky. Came away with another good landing as the sun was setting. If the weather holds out we may just knock out the remaining 400 miles to Montreal later tonight.

RedGreen
June 6th, 2009, 20:36
Finally reached Montreal after a long day of flying. Didn't have any passengers, just a little bit of mail cargo for this trip. It was satisfying to finally pull up in the parking area, shut down the engines, and give the DC-6B a well earned rest. Looking forward to seeing what other airlines and planes show up for this crazy thing. No doubt Pan-Am will bring those ugly Stratocruisers, wouldn't be surprised to see TWA, United, American, and the other big guns as well.

In the meantime, I wonder what the night life is like in Montreal?

Haitun
June 7th, 2009, 06:52
China Air Transport is heavily testing HP 81, which I'll likely fly (although classics B377, L1049 and DC-6 are also an option). Too bad there's no good IL-12 for FSX just for fun=))

jt_dub
June 9th, 2009, 10:43
Test flights with the A2A Boeing 337 are progressing well. It should be a very comfortable journey for all. I have not been able to achieve rocket speeds but am able to achieve good load factor.

Found a link on the A2A forums for some vintage B377 video. The scenes of the food coming out of the galley in the second video made my mouth water.

http://www.garydickson.com/boeing377.htm

srgalahad
June 9th, 2009, 12:20
In the meantime, I wonder what the night life is like in Montreal?

Well, I think we can count Red out before he starts... he'll get into a couple of the bars on "The Main" and we may not see him again, or he'll be crawling across a road somewhere. Montreal was the bane of Ferry Command pilots during WWII.. too many temptations, too little time.
Hope your copilot is a teetotaler Red, because you're gonna have one massive hangover (and maybe more)!
BTW, most of the 'ladies' understand Anglish tres bon!

Rob

BTW, having just returned from CYUL, I know of which I speak, eh?

Willy
June 9th, 2009, 13:45
I've been flying the Stratoliner around the midwest and once the rules were released, I started working my way from Nashville to Montreal. After a pause in Cleveland to fix an AFCAD problem, I managed to make it to Buffalo last night just to tear off the left main on touchdown due to being overloaded. But after re-reading the rules and a quick consult with the rest of the team I've figured out what I've been doing wrong and it should be smooth flying from here on out. Hope to get some pics of the flight to Montreal tonite.

RedGreen
June 9th, 2009, 17:21
Well, I think we can count Red out before he starts... he'll get into a couple of the bars on "The Main" and we may not see him again, or he'll be crawling across a road somewhere. Montreal was the bane of Ferry Command pilots during WWII.. too many temptations, too little time.
Hope your copilot is a teetotaler Red, because you're gonna have one massive hangover (and maybe more)!

Ah, but there you'd wrong my friend. I picked up a wonderful tip from the British during the War. Benzedrine. Mix a little of it into your first drink and you'll have your wits about you for the whole night. It's apt to make one overconfident however, so I won't be consuming any during the big trip.

I didn't partake in the women. French women (even of French Canadian variety) don't do anything for me. Armpit hair is something of a turnoff for me. :kilroy:

Willy
June 10th, 2009, 21:16
Didn't go to Montreal. I left Buffalo and went to LaGuardia in NYC instead to drum up some business for the flight. I didn't allow for enough reserve fuel and cut into it by about 156lbs on the flight. So I'll need to adjust my fudge factor a bit there. But I'm figuring to fly around the NE and pull into Montreal the day before the race starts. I should get a good feel for it by then. As long as I remember to turn on the cabin pressurization before I go above 12,000ft.

salt_air
June 11th, 2009, 03:18
Didn't go to Montreal. I left Buffalo and went to LaGuardia in NYC instead to drum up some business for the flight. I didn't allow for enough reserve fuel and cut into it by about 156lbs on the flight. So I'll need to adjust my fudge factor a bit there. But I'm figuring to fly around the NE and pull into Montreal the day before the race starts. I should get a good feel for it by then. As long as I remember to turn on the cabin pressurization before I go above 12,000ft.

That's a great plane Willy,,,,a lot of fun to fly.

Bet you worked on the panels a bit too, right?

buzzbee
June 11th, 2009, 06:22
Western Airlines is moving a DC-6B from is usual runs between to Western States to Montreal to participate in this event. This particular plane was pulled from Western's smaller hub at Stapleton Airport, just outside downtown Denver, CO, and dispatched to Montreal. The initial plan was a series of intermediate stops. After stopping at Omaha, we realized we had some other concerns with the aircraft, and wanted to have an extra day or 2 in Montreal to get prepared. Therefore, last night, we made the flight from Omaha to Montreal non-stop.

The Flight was just under 1000 nm. We burned just over 10K pounds of fuel flying at our Mac Cruise. Navigation via NDB was pretty good with a slight diversion around Ottawa. Descent planning was better, but the crew started the descent a bit early.
http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=72Uha8S0oSKV5brGs1i9slqEZQ

Willy
June 11th, 2009, 19:31
That's a great plane Willy,,,,a lot of fun to fly.

Bet you worked on the panels a bit too, right?

Just a wee bit adding the wind drift gauge, radio CD player (aka: 8 track) and swapped out the mph ASI with the one from the DC-3 in knots.

salt_air
June 12th, 2009, 14:51
Phone: reeeeng....reeeeng....reeeeng....

salt_air: Hell-lo...

Phone: Austin,,,this is Eddie(Rickenbacker),,Do you remember that special mission I told you about last month?

salt_air: Yessir! The new route into South America.

Phone: That's correct,,,it's time to go. There's a Stinson Reliant just out of the shop there at KORF. Bring it here to La Guardia and you'll be assigned a brand new aircraft and a "cracker jack" crew one of our best. Take the aircraft to Montreal tonite and get plenty of sleep there. You should pack a bag for what may be a month. Any questions?

salt_air: No Sir!

Phone: You and the crew will be briefed tomorrow morning in Montreal,,,,have a good flight.

salt_air: Thank You

Phone: (dial tone)

salt_air:.....:running:

RedGreen
June 12th, 2009, 16:37
Just a few hours now from our planned midnight departure to New York. As I look out on the setting sun to the West, and the planes of many different colors lined up in the parking area, my co-pilot Winston joins me and says,

"I don't mean to put a downer on this whole thing, but am I the only who's thought about the fact that this thing is starting on the 13th?"

I reply, "So? Lots of planes fly on the 13th and nothing happens to them."

"But they weren't doing anything quite like this...."

"I think we have better things to worry about than superstition at the moment, Winston."

"Do you think we can win this thing? I mean, with all the Stratocruisers in this thing...."

"If I didn't think I could beat a bunch of overweight flying whales, I wouldn't have signed up for this thing."

"All I know is that this is going to be one heckuva race."

"That is for sure."