PDA

View Full Version : aeroplane heaven p-38

BigDog
May 20th, 2009, 16:20
Why do my P-38 `s look like they ran full speed into a wall, they are short, stubby little things,:isadizzy: I have the latest fsx file for them. Greg

warchild
May 20th, 2009, 17:05
let me upgrade mine and i'll see if i can figure it out..

warchild
May 20th, 2009, 17:11
Actually, i'm gonna have to wait on that. It's gonna be a while before i have that kind of money...:(..

Henry
May 20th, 2009, 17:17
Just flight has a free demo
H

Kiwikat
May 20th, 2009, 17:20
I tried Glacier Girl like a week ago and it was uh... messed up to say the least.

If they would just release native FSX models, no one would be having any trouble with them. :engel016:

warchild
May 20th, 2009, 17:33
Thanks Henry and Kiwikat.. I'll give it a shot and see what i can see..

Barvan40
May 20th, 2009, 17:36
If they would just release native FSX models, no one would be having any trouble with them. :engel016:

My thoughts exactly!

Their web site still has 2008 as the year the full FSX models were to be available. They must have been sidetracked with other projects.

Still missing the Tiger Moth for FSX too.

warchild
May 20th, 2009, 20:35
Ok.. downloaded and tried the demo// Curly Six i believe is what they call it.. The model doesindeed appear to be an fs9 model. The sounds are very similar to another soundset i have on another P-38 from FS9 as well..

Performance wise.. This thing is struggling to go 300mph with the engines flat out. The real plane can fly level at 429 mph. Christ, it was infamous for killing pilots by nearly breaking the sound barrier during dives and losing controlability through compression..

Handling is fine.. kinda fun..

Twenty dollars maybe.. but not what they're charging..

Thats just my opinion..

Now, the model appeared fine except for being primitive.. I might suggest going into your settings and set the display size to match the resolution of your screen.. If you have a widescreen, then give it a wide aspect ratio. Otherwise, setting it to a normal aspect ratio will make the plane look stubby and fat and all messed up..

by the way, about my comment on price.. i spent 80 dollars on an airplane once. I STILL think i got my moneys worth out of it. If youbought the plane and like it, thats all that counts..

Pam

EMatheson
May 20th, 2009, 21:15
IMHO, these are unbeatable in FS9..., but then that is what they were designed for... don't through the baby out with the bathwater.
I spent $30 of the P-38F in FS9, worth the money...
and if the sounds are familiar, well, they should be. David C. Copley, our P-38 guru, did the sounds for the plane.

I don't mean to be too, ummm... can't find the word, you know what I mean...
I just get tired of hearing FS9 planes trashed in this forum... I agree that if it advertised as FSX, it darn well should be FSX, but that fact that it isn't does not automatically mean that the plane is trash!
Just getting it off my chest... been getting to me for a while... :engel016:

Kiwikat
May 20th, 2009, 21:33
I don't mean to be too, ummm... can't find the word, you know what I mean...
I just get tired of hearing FS9 planes trashed in this forum... I agree that if it advertised as FSX, it darn well should be FSX, but that fact that it isn't does not automatically mean that the plane is trash!
Just getting it off my chest... been getting to me for a while... :engel016:

I'm tired of seeing FS9 planes being labeled as for FSX. Developers made true FSX planes within months of its release. There's no excuse anymore, ESPECIALLY when it comes to payware. FSX RTM even used "true FSX" models. I'm tired of false advertising. If they advertised it as it actually is, I wouldn't complain. I'm tired of poor performance and visual issues with portovers. And I'm really tired that I'm pretty much the only one one online who seems to care enough to bring it up. If one person makes enough noise, they can make a difference though. I kept posting at AVSIM and finally their reviewers decided to add it to their reviews. I know there are others on SOH who feel strongly about this too...
been getting to me for a while... :engel016:

stiz
May 20th, 2009, 23:51
The sounds are very similar to another soundset i have on another P-38 from FS9 as well..

Reason being that the same person (DCC) did the soundsets for both planes :)

Kiwikat
May 21st, 2009, 00:04
Reason being that the same person (DCC) did the soundsets for both planes :)

I wish that same person could update his planes to FSX models (or someone with the know-how/time could do it). :bump:

They were gems in FS9. It would be excellent to have them in FSX too. :icon29:

stiz
May 21st, 2009, 00:08
i know i've been saying it for a while, but there are FSX p38s in the works :engel016:

krazycolin
May 21st, 2009, 02:16
i know i've been saying it for a while, but there are FSX p38s in the works :engel016:

And they are being vetted and approved by DC himself, he is doing the soundset using Glacier Girl sounds recorded by him AND, with any luck at all, also doing the FDE.

I wish that same person could update his planes to FSX models (or someone with the know-how/time could do it). :bump:

Do you actually know anything about modeling in 3d? Coding in XML? The reason I ask is that it would be a lot harder than you think to make it as nice as an actual FSX model rather just recompile it for FSX after redoing the textures. It can't really be done. Look at some of the planes that have been done that way. Most of the models I did for AS for FS9 are or have been, released in this manner. Though the the model IS actually FSX compiled, the quality of it leaves a lot to be desired both in terms of poly count and of texture quantity and quality. FS9 planes are, on average, half that of FSX planes in both areas. They are designed with a P4 system as being the top end. That, obviously, isn't the case anymore. I personally believe, and this is, again, only my opinion, that a model from FS9 should never be described as being built for FSX even if it does go through the actual process. It doesn't have and cannot have the same quality.

So, you will get what you wish for, a FSX P-38, in a way... However, I am still not sure I will let you buy it.... :pop4:

Rezabrya
May 21st, 2009, 04:02
So now you are telling people who can and can't buy your planes? Kiwi is just asking that if it isn't an FSX plane, then don't advertise it as one. I could care less how tough it is to make an FSX model. If it's too hard for you then don't take your FS9 models and advertise them for FSX.

krazycolin
May 21st, 2009, 04:53
So now you are telling people who can and can't buy your planes? Kiwi is just asking that if it isn't an FSX plane, then don't advertise it as one. I could care less how tough it is to make an FSX model. If it's too hard for you then don't take your FS9 models and advertise them for FSX.

Er... that is an inside joke.

However, just so you know, as a vendor, I do indeed have the right to decide who can buy and who cannot buy my stuff... You think it's a one way street? You can decide to buy or not but we HAVE to take your money and let you have our stuff? It's a free country as far as I know... Unless something changed somewhere without my knowing about it...

As well, it would appear to me that a lot of vendors take their FS9 models, put them through the FSX "process" and call them FSX models. That is what I am talking about and is something I disagree with.

No need to get angry... In essence, I'm agreeing with him...

kc.

One other note, I see your signature and I would add one more thing to it: A FSX model is one that was designed from the outset to be in FSX and not in FS9.

warchild
May 21st, 2009, 08:25
IMHO, these are unbeatable in FS9..., but then that is what they were designed for... don't through the baby out with the bathwater.
I spent $30 of the P-38F in FS9, worth the money...
and if the sounds are familiar, well, they should be. David C. Copley, our P-38 guru, did the sounds for the plane.

Please, dont misunderstand me. I'm probably one of the most intentionally fair people you'll ever encounter.. I agree, in fs9 these were unbeatable planes. Mind you, in my opinion, it still does not justify a nearly 50 dollar price tag. However, it's advertised as an FSX model, and from my perspecive, that has to become the qualifier..
Except for the apparent fact that the FM Engineer got the wrong propeller on there ( which is a lot easier to do than you would believe) the FM is excellent. My guess is that the correct propeller is buried someplace in history and it's details are not so easily unearthed or the Engineer would have put it on there and we'd have a plane that woulld be the first ever P-38 for FS that actually flew at the correct speeds.. But with advancements in graphics, light mapping,shadowing and all kinds of other stuff, it's like someone got lazy.. The appearance is drab for fsx. It's great for fs9 but drab for fsx.
Like i told the gentleman with the initial query. The bottom line is: if you enjoy the plane, thats all that counts. I also said, it's a fun little plane.. These arent cutdowns or put downs, but personally, i would have a much greater level of respect for it and aeroplane heaven, if they said that it was an fs9 model made to work in fsx. Anyone can lie and misrepresent their product, but it takes one hell of a big person to say "we did our very best and here it is" and mean it.

Rezabrya
May 21st, 2009, 12:30
Yes. When they actually take their FS9 model and make it for FSX the way it is supposed to be done that is ok. For an example, a lot of the old Alphasim models that were originally for FSX were recompiled the correct way for FSX so although they lack some features, they are still an FSX model. I (and i'm sure Kiwi is the same way) am talking about when a dev takes a complete FS9 model that hasn't even been recompiled using the FSX SDK, and they market it for FSX. It's bad enough when freeware developers do it but for a payware dev to dpo it is just wrong imo. Your "inside joke" was not really funny the first time and now it is starting to grind my gears. You are acting as if he is not entitled to his own opinion and I don't see how you can tell somebody what he can and can't buy.

Kiwikat
May 21st, 2009, 12:36
However, just so you know, as a vendor, I do indeed have the right to decide who can buy and who cannot buy my stuff... You think it's a one way street? You can decide to buy or not but we HAVE to take your money and let you have our stuff? It's a free country as far as I know... Unless something changed somewhere without my knowing about it...

Trust me Colin, I have zero interest in buying your P-38 anymore (or any of your products for that matter). Absolutely none. You needn't worry about me buying it. I happily help developers with my wallet (and time as a beta tester), but you've gone too far.

As well, it would appear to me that a lot of vendors take their FS9 models, put them through the FSX "process" and call them FSX models. That is what I am talking about and is something I disagree with.

No need to get angry... In essence, I'm agreeing with him...

kc.

One other note, I see your signature and I would add one more thing to it: A FSX model is one that was designed from the outset to be in FSX and not in FS9.WRONG! As a modeler yourself, you should know better! A FSX native model is simply one compiled with the FSX compiler (though the process to allow this may not be simple). It doesn't have to have all the fancy FSX stuff to benefit from better FPS and correct glass and prop textures. The DA Cheyenne is a good example of this. It is indeed a true FSX model, but does not have bump mapping.

I don't care if companies release portovers. I don't care if freeware authors release portovers. Just don't advertise them as being FSX planes!

Time for vacation... be back in a week or so. ;)

krazycolin
May 21st, 2009, 17:16
Actually, I was commenting on the NATIVE aspect of it. Not only the FSX model aspect. Native would imply that it was built to the FSX specification and not merely compiled. By your lights, any model that was compiled by Xtomdl would be considered an FSX native model. With or without any of the doodads and specs that actually make an FSX model cooler than an FS9 model.

When we build an FSX NATIVE model, it starts its life with the full intention to use the poly counts, the texture counts, the texture quality and all the doodads and specifics that make a REAL FSX model. Taking a F-86F-30 Sabre that was dumbed down to FS9 standards, applying normal maps to it and compiling it to FSX doesn't make it native in any way. In fact, there should be three standards and not two: Made for FSX, Ported to FSX and Enhanced and ported for FSX.

As a modeler, I've built over 25 planes for FS9 and FSX payware. That's more than any other dev anywhere in the world to date that I can think of offhand. Some were considered great and some not so much. I have learned how to make them and paint them from some of the best in the world and I know exactly what goes into making a plane native to FSX, FS9, TV or film.

We sold around 15 planes to AS. Most of those have been recompiled and "enhanced" for FSX. They weren't designed for it. I know. I had to dumb them down from the FSX standard (around 300K polys and 12 2K maps) that they are to get them into FS9 (under 90K polys and 12 1K maps). A real pain in the a$$, believe me.

As an aside, I have every intention of putting those models into FSX as actual FSX models and then you will see the difference... or not, if you decide not to part with your cash.

As far as buying or not, what you, or anyone else, does with your cash is your affair, and the proof is in the pudding. In other words, you get what you pay for. Most of the time.

I meant no insult or injury and if I did, then, once again, I apologize. Unlike you, I actually do care about how I say and do things and am willing to apologize if I have offended... whether I did or not. And I mean that apology. You and, I'm sorry to say, some others, feel that they are justified in saying and doing whatever they feel but are taken aback and get pi$$ed when the attack is reversed.

I may be direct and opinionated but I am always willing to listen and to change my point of view. And, I am, or try to be, as polite and honest as I can be.

Like it or not, Milviz is here to stay and if you don't like it, well, you better change hobbies cause our planes and models are everywhere. Some, you won't even know that are Milviz models, but we can't say so because of NDA's... Our client list includes AS, A2A, FSaddon, Iris and others... (coming soon, at least three more devs!)

KC.

RyanJames170
May 21st, 2009, 19:00
ok im doing an public service here but back to topic im sick of seeing arguments in public. KC you should really be nicer to peeps you have trned me away from milvis not becuse of your model but becuse of your aditude in public its distastful to say the least. so please stop acting like your 7 or atleast keep it private

Ryan M
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

krazycolin
May 21st, 2009, 19:09
Bah.

djscoo
May 21st, 2009, 19:10
Unlike you, I actually do care about how I say and do things...

KC.

Trust me, it doesn't show...:kilroy:

Roger
May 21st, 2009, 19:12
ok im doing an public service here but back to topic im sick of seeing arguments in public. KC you should really be nicer to peeps you have trned me away from milvis not becuse of your model but becuse of your aditude in public its distastful to say the least. so please stop acting like your 7 or atleast keep it private

Ryan M
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

Ryan,
You have to remember that KiwiKat started the afray with a sharp and unnecessary attack on the texture quality of Colin's P38 in a previous thread. Colin will realise that shouting back as a vendor, whatever the complaint and however barmy that complaint is, is fruitless. In the end this, and the previous thread will simply pass into the ether of lost threads and hopefully lessons will have been learned.

Roger
May 21st, 2009, 19:15
...in the meanwhile Big dog will be wondering what happened to his question regarding the AH P38...:running:

RyanJames170
May 21st, 2009, 19:18
Ryan,
You have to remember that KiwiKat started the afray with a sharp and unnecessary attack on the texture quality of Colin's P38 in a previous thread. Colin will realise that shouting back as a vendor, whatever the complaint and however barmy that complaint is, is fruitless. In the end this, and the previous thread will simply pass into the ether of lost threads and hopefully lessons will have been learned.

i know but its on going and its un needed.

as to the AH P-38 humm um well i would have to say same place as the Connie............ witch is sad
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

warchild
May 21st, 2009, 19:22
Colin..
I know it doesnt seem like it, but no one here is out to get you.. It's your temper and defensiveness that makes some others uptight and edgy.. You build incredible models. work to take real pride in. Someone else building one doesnt devalue your work.. it just makes it stand out that much more..
No ones got time or energy to fel they need to attack you. Everyones got real jobs where piolitics run rampant, and family members who are all to willing to crush any dream they might have..
Take a breather, and relax. You are over-reacting a bit, and it's obviously gotten under some peoples skin.. Keep in mind, no matter where you go, you represent your company, and so, sometimes it's hard, but you gotta swallow some of that stuff. Bite your tongue a little and simply nod your head. itr's called diplomacy, and all of us who run our own gigs, whether its me doing flight models where i can, to the chairman of Sony, has to do it.. Your not as alone as you might think you are..
Pam

krazycolin
May 21st, 2009, 19:25
YARGS!!!!!!

thanks Pam, I will do just that. GULP....

I'm stepping away from the SOH for awhile... Chuck and Kev will be posting the WIP's of the upcoming aircraft...

Laters...

warchild
May 21st, 2009, 19:33
...in the meanwhile Big dog will be wondering what happened to his question regarding the AH P38...:running:
Actually, i answered his question some ways back.. Ibelieve that he ks either using a standard monitor and running in a wide screen resolution, or a wide screen monitor running in a standard resolution. I get confused between the two sometimes but i'm pretty sure it's one of those..
If not, I can only suggest he re-install it. The demo version i downloaded works fine ( scale wise) on my system, but then, my monitor is a 52 inch hdtv..

Roger
May 21st, 2009, 19:43
Actually, i answered his question some ways back.. Ibelieve that he ks either using a standard monitor and running in a wide screen resolution, or a wide screen monitor running in a standard resolution. I get confused between the two sometimes but i'm pretty sure it's one of those..
If not, I can only suggest he re-install it. The demo version i downloaded works fine ( scale wise) on my system, but then, my monitor is a 52 inch hdtv..

You did Pam but I was merely hoping that the thread could get back onto topic:engel016:

Panther_99FS
May 21st, 2009, 19:45
alright everyone;

warchild
May 21st, 2009, 19:49
::ROFLMFAO:: Panther!!!!???? Can I copy that pill?? i wanna use it for my screen background :D :D :D

warchild
May 21st, 2009, 19:51
You did Pam but I was merely hoping that the thread could get back onto topic:engel016:

A BIG Amen to that Roger.. a VERY big Amen.. :D..

Roger
May 21st, 2009, 19:54
::ROFLMFAO:: Panther!!!!???? Can I copy that pill?? i wanna use it for my screen background :D :D :D

At 250 grammes that pill is about the size of a packet of chocolate digestive biscuits:jump:

Panther_99FS
May 21st, 2009, 20:01

Be my guest :)

warchild
May 21st, 2009, 20:20
At 250 grammes that pill is about the size of a packet of chocolate digestive biscuits:jump:

::LOL:; I got four baby kittens upstairs, a big ole lazy male cat downstairs and a momma kitty who likes toeat everyones food, not to mention the kittens daddy who likes to sneak in when he can.. ::LOL:: i NEED a big pill ::LOL:::

cheezyflier
May 21st, 2009, 21:49

thats 250,000 grams
lol probably as big as a pizza:monkies:

fliger747
May 22nd, 2009, 07:09
250,000 grams is about 600 lbs.....

Cheers: T.

Roger
May 22nd, 2009, 07:12
thats 250,000 grams
lol probably as big as a pizza:monkies:

No Cheesy, Panther's big chill pill is 250,000 milligrammes, which is 250 grammes:kilroy:. We Europeans have just about got to grips with the Metric system now:isadizzy:

Henry
May 22nd, 2009, 07:32
Thats standard medicine for all Staff
we all got a bottle for Christmas:engel016:
LOL
H

BigDog
May 22nd, 2009, 08:22

Thanks for that, I was begining to think my problem didn`t matter to anyone:isadizzy:

warchild
May 22nd, 2009, 08:31
But....
I answered it..
twice...
:(..
i care..

BigDog
May 22nd, 2009, 08:59
Pam, its not those , I have a 24 inch wide screen monitor, run both the game and the sim in native rez. and this is the only plane that does this, I `ve installed it four time.:isadizzy:

Barvan40
May 22nd, 2009, 09:12
Pam, its not those , I have a 24 inch wide screen monitor, run both the game and the sim in native rez. and this is the only plane that does this, I `ve installed it four time.:isadizzy:

Can you post a screenshot?

Panther_99FS
May 22nd, 2009, 10:04
Thats standard medicine for all Staff
we all got a bottle for Christmas:engel016:
LOL
H

:icon_lol:...

warchild
May 22nd, 2009, 10:31
hmmmmm.. I'm sorry to hear that. it was the best could think of..
It's going to boil down to, "why does it work for some, but not others?" and those are always very sticky questions.. however, I know that there are folks on here who know a heck of a lot more than i do so i'm confident that it'll get resolved..

We know that on your system it's broken, but on my system it works.SO lets start with my system as a beginning comparrison.

MB: EVGA 780i
Proc: Q6600 not overclocked
Mem: 6gigs 1200 mhz
GPU: XFX 8800 GTX 786 megs ram driver version 179.(something)
Monitor: JVC 52" hdtv connected via HDMI
Audio: realtek HD onboard sond with fiber optic out to the amp.

FSX specific:

FSX with acceleration installed
FSUIPC 4.2(something) free version
REX installed
GEX installed
ASA and ASX both installed though not usually running
India, nepal, southeast asia, east asia meshes installed
RecorderFS installed
Wilco Citation and airbus scenery objects installed
Ariane scenery objects installed
Cloud9 bgl.dll runing in the background as is the abacus dll.

DLL.xml last cleaned up three days ago..
exe.xml last cleaned up this morning..

All the standard tweaks have been applied to fsx.cfg..

So thats my workspace. I dont know if it will help or not but i'm putting it out there as an aid in diagnosis. i hope it does help..
Pam

Roger
May 22nd, 2009, 10:52
Could it be the size info in the panel.cfg?

Henry
May 22nd, 2009, 11:05
Does it look like this?
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/p38.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/henrybaker/p2.jpg

H

IanP
May 22nd, 2009, 13:01
Mine looks astonishingly like Henry's - but with the panel zoom only set to 0.6 (is that about 0.4 Henry?)

dcc
May 22nd, 2009, 14:51

I, too, wish the same person could update his planes to native FSX format :d ...

but the transition to FSX had a very low ROI for me. It was a 10 year personal labor of love, that has evolved into something different now. Thanks for the kind words regarding my models.

back to the topic at hand, I know the AH '38 looked well-proportioned in FS2004 (there were a few issues here and there, but still a fabulous model and far better than any of my meager attempts) and flew pretty good so not sure what's up in FSX. I've never tried to put it into FSX.

- dcc

fliger747
May 22nd, 2009, 15:07
Check the bottom set of lines in the panel cfg, typical values should run something like this.

[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8191
SIZE_Y=3276

Adjust the last value to stretch or compress the horizontal aspect. For many FS9 derived airplanes, a value somewher around 6400 seems to work.

Good Luck! T.

Henry
May 22nd, 2009, 16:54
Mine looks astonishingly like Henry's - but with the panel zoom only set to 0.6 (is that about 0.4 Henry?)
yup i zoomed out:kilroy:
H

BigDog
May 22nd, 2009, 19:31
Check the bottom set of lines in the panel cfg, typical values should run something like this.

[Default View]
X=0
Y=0
SIZE_X=8191
SIZE_Y=3276

Adjust the last value to stretch or compress the horizontal aspect. For many FS9 derived airplanes, a value somewher around 6400 seems to work.

Good Luck! T.

fliger747, you da man,:ernae: I knew it was a setting I had used before on the Alphasim F-22, but could not remember where to do the settings, thanks alot, I use the ones that the other P-38 uses 6134, now if I could find some better looking props replacement, this plane would set Great, thanks for all you help guys. Greg