PDA

View Full Version : Gmax Video card problem?

BillgjCook
May 19th, 2009, 10:27
I seem to be having a little problem with my video card / Gmax.
When in Gmax working with a model or not, I seem to be getting white screens in all view ports when clicking on them or parts on my models.
This all started when I had to redo my computer reinstalling everything.
I am useing Nvidia 8800 GTS, I have tryed many diferent drivers all with the same problem.:isadizzy:

hairyspin
May 19th, 2009, 10:59
Which driver are you using in gMax - Heidi, Direct3D or OpenGL? but it sounds to me like that irritating thing in XP when you don't have enough memory, processor power or swap file space to do everything the machine is being asked to do and a screen of white with just a title bar is all you see for a second or two until the processor catches up.
I used to get that often with my old rig, and not just in gMax. Check what all is actually running - it's easy to forget when reinstalling everything that many programs also install extra widgets that are left running by default, gobbling up system resources like there's no more important task than scanning the Web for updates or cool news threads. Background file indexing was my particular hate.

hth

Mathias
May 19th, 2009, 11:24
That's often related to anti-aliasing/anisotropic filter settings in the graphic card's control panel. Might go away if you set it to application controlled.
Alternatively you can try to choose a different driver from within Gmax
Customize - Prefrences - Viewports -Choose/Configure Drivers.
Heidi is ok for debugging if all esle fails, other than that reverting from directx to openglide or vice versa usually does the trick.

BillgjCook
May 19th, 2009, 11:30
Spot ON with swap file space I forgot to setup my other HDs for swap filing. Thank you problem salved.

Which driver are you using in gMax - Heidi, Direct3D or OpenGL? but it sounds to me like that irritating thing in XP when you don't have enough memory, processor power or swap file space to do everything the machine is being asked to do and a screen of white with just a title bar is all you see for a second or two until the processor catches up.
I used to get that often with my old rig, and not just in gMax. Check what all is actually running - it's easy to forget when reinstalling everything that many programs also install extra widgets that are left running by default, gobbling up system resources like there's no more important task than scanning the Web for updates or cool news threads. Background file indexing was my particular hate.

hth