PDA

View Full Version : Ripping CD's for MP3 player?

DaveKDEN
October 15th, 2008, 16:41
So I'm thinking of ripping my favorite CD's to my computer for eventual use with an MP3 player (doesn't necessarily need to be an Apple player). Question is, should I use Windows Media Player or Apple I-Tunes? I experimented with a CD each on WMP and I-Tunes. WMP ripped the CD to a xxx.wma format, while I-Tunes ripped the CD to a xxx.m4a format. I'm familiar with .wma but not so with .m4a. Just wondering which format is better for use (or is compatible) with an MP3 player (once again, it doesn't need to be an Apple brand)? To be honest, the WMP .wma format sounds better than the I-Tunes .m4a format when played back through my computer.

Panther_99FS
October 15th, 2008, 16:44
It's a personal choice.....But I used iTunes....:mixedsmi:

DaveKDEN
October 15th, 2008, 17:00
It's a personal choice.....But I used iTunes....:mixedsmi:

Will either format be recognized by an MP3 player? Or, how do you designate a CD to be ripped to MP3 fromat from the get-go?

Panther_99FS
October 15th, 2008, 17:05
I haven an iPod so recognition isn't a problem for me...:kilroy:

Henry
October 15th, 2008, 17:06
i have a cd player in my car
6 cds at a time
i rip my cd's in Nero and make mp3's
but i do not know what mp3's
but they sound good
4 or 5 cd's on one
days of playing
H

Willy
October 15th, 2008, 17:24
I've used a payware program I bought years ago called Music Match. But then I mostly listen to the radio in truck now anyway. Even with a 12 CD changer under the front seat.

Mostly what my cd collection is used for now days is with Bob Clark's Radio/CD gauge (aka the "8-track") for when I'm flying in FS. I'll either use my CD's or music from them I've stored on my back up HD and just program the songs into the radio gauge. Either way, I get some good tunes for while I'm flying along in FS.

djscoo
October 15th, 2008, 17:24
I have a Microsoft Zune. The software is all drag and drop(user friendly) and interacts perfectly with all the media center/player stuff.

File types supported by Zune

m4a
m4b
m4v
mp3
mp4
wma (Windows Media Audio File)
wmv (Windows Media Audio/video File)

The software gives you a choice of quality (file size) when ripping and you can have it convert from .wma (default) to mp3.

demorier
October 15th, 2008, 17:54
Like Henry I use Nero software for this job...probably lots of others prog's will do it to. Can batch convert your whole cd in one go to hard disc first into lots of different file types and bitrates.

Josiah Niedrauer
October 15th, 2008, 20:02
ipod supports .m4a, that's the primary itunes format

cheezyflier
October 16th, 2008, 05:22
i also use nero. it's very simple. even a dummy like me can do it.

Odie
October 16th, 2008, 09:05
I use Media Player 11 in WinXP to rip and the device software to sync up the computer with my Creative Zen player. No problems thus far.

DaveKDEN
October 16th, 2008, 11:11
I have a Microsoft Zune. The software is all drag and drop(user friendly) and interacts perfectly with all the media center/player stuff.

File types supported by Zune

m4a
m4b
m4v
mp3
mp4
wma (Windows Media Audio File)
wmv (Windows Media Audio/video File)
The software gives you a choice of quality (file size) when ripping and you can have it convert from .wma (default) to mp3.

Thanks!!! Exactly the answer I was looking for.

Dangerousdave26
October 16th, 2008, 13:07
Microsoft Media player has an option to rip the files to MP3. You choose the bit rate you want it to rip to.

Click on the down arrow below "RIP"

Choose more options

It will open to the Rip Tab in the options menu.

Chose your file format

Then move the slider to bit rate you want.

Apply

OK

Done