PDA

View Full Version : Re-Installed Windows XP :(

MenendezDiego
May 17th, 2009, 19:57
With the accidental delition of my recycling bin, things started going bad.

My father who works for HP decided a new installation of Windows XP would be the best bet.

I invested so much time in additions to FSX and FS9. Nothing was lost (all on my D drive) but with the new windows and C drive, I'm somewhat nervous.

Currently I am waiting for the copy and past of my Microsoft Games folder to copy from the old D drive to the new C drive...I'm hoping it will work and I won't have to do a complete re-install of FSX and FS9...god I'd have to re-install so many aircraft and sceneries

Is all this in vein? Will copying from the old drive to the new drive do nothing?

Pray with me. Diego

Lionheart
May 17th, 2009, 20:10
Hey Diego,

I have heard of Registry restorers for FS9 and for FSX. I think you can get them at www.scenery.org in the downloads section. After installing FS onto your recompiled drive, click on the registry restoration programs (2) and you should be good to go.

Bill

MenendezDiego
May 17th, 2009, 20:12
When you say "After Installing FS onto your recompiled drive"...I hope you mean after it has finished copying to the C drive...because if I have to reinstall everything, I'm going to cry

Thanks for the tip though, Diego

Naismith
May 17th, 2009, 20:22
You cannot delete the wastebin, you can lose the icon but a search of MS or google will reveal a fix to restore it. You may have gone beyond the point on no return, but it is just as well to keep the sim away from the windows HD.

Naismith
May 17th, 2009, 20:26
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/restore-missing-desktop-icons-in-windows-vista/

MenendezDiego
May 17th, 2009, 20:30
Just as well to keep the sim away from the windows hard drive...I don't follow?

The new windows has already been installed. Everything is new, except I am copying from the old drive to the new drive

Naismith
May 17th, 2009, 20:36
Just as well to keep the sim away from the windows hard drive...I don't follow?

The new windows has already been installed. Everything is new, except I am copying from the old drive to the new drive

By that I mean Windoze is on the C drive and FS on any other drive, my FSX is on the E drive, and FS9 on the F drive.

Naismith
May 17th, 2009, 20:37
I have 7 hard drives and it is an issue remembering what is what and where. LOL

MenendezDiego
May 17th, 2009, 20:40
Ah..so lets say I have everything I need to run FSX and FS9 on my D drive currently (which I do) FSX and FS9 were however origionally installed on the same drive, when it was the C drive (windows drive)

Any way to use FSX and FS9 now that the drive has been made into a D drive?

cheezyflier
May 17th, 2009, 20:41
if i understand your situation, it may be simpler than you think. you are saying FS was on a storage drive, and you re-installed your o/s on the primary drive? that's how my set up is too. you should be able to do this:

try re-installing the sims into the exact place they are now stored. the files in the tree on your storage drive should remain as they are, and the registies neccessary on your primary drive would be installed. it should come back 100% including where your sliders are set, requiring nothing further on your part except to fly. i did this with FSX already, and it worked for me.

the other option might be to copy the important folders to a dvd. the sim objects/aircraft folder, effects, gauges, add-on scenery, etc. then after re-installing the basic sim, just replace the folders with all your stuff in them. i never tried that before, but i bet it would work. you might have to afterwards go to your add-on scenery folder and re-add each one like you would when re-installing new scenery.

good luck

PutPut
May 17th, 2009, 20:41
I have 7 hard drives and it is an issue remembering what is what and where. LOL

I want to buy stock in your Hard Drive supplier!!:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Paul

MenendezDiego
May 17th, 2009, 20:44
Cheezy Flier, good advice.

For your first idea, FS wasn't on a storage device before my system went to crap. Everything FSX and FS9 was on my C drive (windows drive)

Now that C drive is my D drive, and the NEW C drive is my Windows drive

As of now there is 15 minutes left for microsoft games to copy onto my new C drive. If it does not work, I shall try your methods.

Thank you!

Naismith
May 17th, 2009, 20:58
In case you have issues as to new software or installs not finding your FS, there is utility which can change within Win where the FS actually is, I cannot remember its name but I am sure a search of FS.com for registry editor will throw it up. Good Luck

MenendezDiego
May 17th, 2009, 21:33
Well everything got done copying, and she did not work. First some problem with direct x, then some file missing.

I'm just going to re-install FSX and FS9 to the C, and copy and paste the Effects, Gauges, Aircraft etc. folders

tigisfat
May 17th, 2009, 23:41
I've had a deleted desktop recycle bin icon for over a year. It doesn't stop me from using my recycle bin.

MenendezDiego
May 17th, 2009, 23:57
I'm back in business!

cheezyflier
May 18th, 2009, 05:14
I'm back in business!

excellent!