PDA

View Full Version : Distortion

Helldiver
May 16th, 2009, 07:44
Every once in a while FSX shows the aircraft with this exaggerated distortion that make the plane look like it's in a fun house mirror and I can't get rid of it.
I don't know how it happens but I would sure like to know how to get rid of it and make the airplanes look normal.
I can't show a sample because the attachments for SOH is all screwed up but I think you know what I mean..

gajit
May 16th, 2009, 07:50
I only get that after my 5th double :ernae:

RyanJames170
May 16th, 2009, 08:02
i have to concur what is a solution to this
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Roger
May 16th, 2009, 08:13
If it's an Fs2004 aircraft ported-over then it maybe the panel information screwing up the picture ratios. The cure is to remove the pixel size information right at the bottom of the panel.cfg in the aircraft's panel folder.

Kiwikat
May 16th, 2009, 08:20
Do you mean something like this?

Looks sorta like a funhouse mirror lol...
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/whippetstorm/ATRpropblem.jpg

If so, it is definitely because it is a FS9 model.

Barvan40
May 16th, 2009, 08:20
You can change the focal length of the virtual lens in spot view using [CTRL][+] or [CTRL][-].

[CTRL][-] will make the lens wide angle which gives that distorted "fun-house" view, [CTRL][+] will give you a longer focal length making the view look more normal.

Here is the same view using different focal lengths.

Wide angle lens [CTRL][+]

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u162/Barvan40/WideAngle_001.jpg

Telephoto Lens [CTRL][-]

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u162/Barvan40/TeleAngle_001.jpg

FAC257
May 16th, 2009, 08:21
Helldiver

I've never figured out what causes it. So far I've only figured out one way to make it go away, short of completely shutting down FSX and restarting.

1. Open up a new view window using the "[" - Left Bracket keyboard command.

2. Click on the new window to make it the active window and then left click in it to bring up the view options. Scroll down to "Outside" and from there choose "Locked Spot". When you do this you should now have the normal perspective outside view of your aircraft in the small new window.

3. Now click back on the large window screen to make the regular screwed up perspective view the active window. Once that window is active, then use the "]" - Right Bracket keyboard command to delete the large view window. The smaller one you created in step #2 will become your new main window. The view will be back to normal.

FAC

FAC257
May 16th, 2009, 08:25
Barry

If it's the fish-eye effect when going to exterior spot view I think HD's talking about, I've never been able to get it to stop by using the view commands your talking about.

I can use those commands to return that particular incendence of the fish-eye effect to become normal again but it returns to fish-eye the very next time I go from cockpit to spot-view again.

By deleting the whacked view window like I mentioned it removes the problem completely until it happens again.

FAC

Bjoern
May 16th, 2009, 08:42
Do you mean something like this?

Looks sorta like a funhouse mirror lol...
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/whippetstorm/ATRpropblem.jpg

If so, it is definitely because it is a FS9 model.

Looks more like fraked up drivers or a fraked up buffer pools entry to me.

DaveQ
May 16th, 2009, 09:14
Kiwikat's screenie is definitely a fracked up buffer pool - had that happen when I put one too many noughts on the buffer pool size!

As for fish-eye, I cured it last night in FS9 with the old 'delete the FS9.cfg' trick.

Best of luck HD

DaveQ

BASys
May 16th, 2009, 09:37
Hi Folks

The issue is not specific to FS9,
as it can also occur on FSX native models.
Particularly on high-texture load models.

Kiwikat's screenie
shows the level 2 failure version displacement.

Level 1 being the
displaces the animated components only.

It's a stalled render-process
generally initiated by -
- diskseeking for textures, either missing, or wrong .EXT (scenery or aircraft)
- overly-high slider settings for that locale.
- models that use 1/2 textures, & then flip to cover other 1/2.

It can be session-specific,
caused by the state of memory before firing up FSX.
i.e.
Memory being fragmented due to other apps
run prior to FSX being launched.

Often seen with scenery objects,
- as floating scenery ,
- autogen sky-pillars
- similarly psychedelically corrupted objects.

If sufficient resources are available -
Press PAUSE.
Press ESC.
Wait 5 secs.
Press ESC again.

The model will be re-rendered.
Hopefully intact.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Kiwikat
May 16th, 2009, 10:02
Kiwikat's screenie is definitely a fracked up buffer pool - had that happen when I put one too many noughts on the buffer pool size!

That happened on my laptop like a year ago. I've not had any problems like that on my new rig. It's good to know what was causing it though. The ATR forum didn't have any idea.

Helldiver
May 16th, 2009, 10:37
It happens on A2A Boeing 377 all the time. I'll try the CTRL+ and see if it will make any difference.
Although I like the Delta Connection Abstact Art though. The best I got was a column going up into infinity and a big hole in Paris. Big enough that you could fly into.

Barvan40
May 16th, 2009, 11:12
Barry

If it's the fish-eye effect when going to exterior spot view I think HD's talking about, I've never been able to get it to stop by using the view commands your talking about.

I can use those commands to return that particular incendence of the fish-eye effect to become normal again but it returns to fish-eye the very next time I go from cockpit to spot-view again.

By deleting the whacked view window like I mentioned it removes the problem completely until it happens again.

FAC

Weird stuff FAC, guess I never had that issue.

I am surprised how well FSX runs on my old system and how few problems I have compared to some of the guys here with cutting edge hardware.

FAC257
May 16th, 2009, 12:13
Barry

Yeah, I've never figured out why all of a sudden that the normal spot view takes on that fish-eye focus for no appearant reason. I'm pretty sure it used to happen to me in FS9 also. I've just always used that quick fix I posted until it pops up again. :)

FAC

Lionheart
May 16th, 2009, 22:36
Thanks Paul for the info on that. Good to know.

Bill

BASys
May 17th, 2009, 06:37
Hi Folks

Forgot to add, (and can't edit now),

re: Missing textures
Any model calling GlobalEnv_*.dds
from the fallback paths
contained in the MS default texture.cfg
will also fail on a diskseek.<style>.hmmessage P { PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px } BODY.hmmessage { FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; FONT-SIZE: 10pt } </style>

For further info,
please see the Bugs section at -

FSDeveloper - Wiki - Texture.cfg (FSX) (http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Texture.cfg_%28FSX)

HTH
ATB
Paul

BASys
May 22nd, 2009, 13:50
Hi Folks

Another minor correction.

Level 1 can include floating objects, (trees, buildings, etc).

HTH
ATB
Paul