Panther_99FS
May 15th, 2009, 19:52
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/AmazingAnimals/story?id=7592626

Cloud9Gal
May 15th, 2009, 19:55
Ack!! Bibittes!!! *shudders*

Willy
May 15th, 2009, 19:59
Beats ant granules. (I hate fire ants and hope they never make it up here)

Odie
May 16th, 2009, 06:17
I remember when I was a kid living in Bossier City and fire ants first made their appearence.

They used B-17 sprayer aircraft to criss-cross the city and drop granuals at low level. Didn't really care about the ants at the time, but it was fun seeing those Fortresses criss-crossing the city at low-level !

Fire Ants are tough little critters, to be certain ! When we were living in Texas, during the Spring, we'd have at least 4 mounds pop up in the back yard every year. I kept a good supply of Diazinon on hand.

Snuffy
May 16th, 2009, 06:31
Question ... *raises his hand from the back of the room and stands up*

Ummm ... Do these "flies" have a natural enemy here in the states? Seems everytime someone releases a non-native critter into this country, it has no natural enemies and soon becomes a pestilence on the land and the natrive critters, not to mention sometimes the native humans too.

What is going to control these flies once they're introduced slapshod into this environment if they do not have a natural enemy to control them?

Don't get me wrong ... I'm no lover of the fire ant ... but lets do some forward thinking here.

cheezyflier
May 16th, 2009, 08:56
I kept a good supply of Diazinon on hand.

oh, how i loved that chemical. it seems to be impossible to get these days though, unless you have some serious credentials. boy howdy it works better than anything i have ever seen. and it works on a whole lot of bugs. and it doesn't stink.

Question ... *raises his hand from the back of the room and stands up

What is going to control these flies once they're introduced slapshod into this environment if they do not have a natural enemy to control them?

but lets do some forward thinking here.

ahhh the voice of intelligence, and reason rears it's ugly head.
are you suggesting people should think before they act? ludicrous! horsefeathers! why, such a radical idea is preposterous! :icon_lol:
actually, that's pretty much what i would have said, but not as well as you.

redriver6
May 16th, 2009, 08:58
I remember when I was a kid living in Bossier City and fire ants first made their appearence.

They used B-17 sprayer aircraft to criss-cross the city and drop granuals at low level. Didn't really care about the ants at the time, but it was fun seeing those Fortresses criss-crossing the city at low-level !

Fire Ants are tough little critters, to be certain ! When we were living in Texas, during the Spring, we'd have at least 4 mounds pop up in the back yard every year. I kept a good supply of Diazinon on hand.

yep i remember it well....of course i was the only kid in the 3rd grade that knew they were B-17's:icon_lol:

n4gix
May 16th, 2009, 09:47
Why not introduce something that would genetically modify the fire ant such that it had two heads... They could then pull themselves apart in a tug-of-war... :bump:

leonross
May 16th, 2009, 10:17
We have lots of them here in southern NC .

redriver6
May 16th, 2009, 11:22
Why not introduce something that would genetically modify the fire ant such that it had two heads... They could then pull themselves apart in a tug-of-war... :bump:

nah i think you just end up with an ant that could bite twice as hard:isadizzy:

Matt Wynn
May 16th, 2009, 12:17
genetically engineer it so it has no legs and is fully immobile, that'd solve it, the birds and other critturs would love that, easy meal! thankfully no fire ants in the UK, my size (UK)13 assault boots would come in handy with them, like they do with normal ants....

Henry
May 16th, 2009, 12:26
thats why i am here
the ant defender:applause:
i am cloned from a British ant
we will take back what was ours:icon_lol:
LOL
H

Navy Chief
May 16th, 2009, 14:16
I hope the "cure" for fire ants doesn't turn out to be like kudzu in the South!

NC

BPbobafett1982
May 16th, 2009, 14:28
Growing up in north georgia, I have a respect for Fire ants. Being bittin a few times as a kid. Worst combination was fire ants hiding in the kudzu patch. Can't tell you how many times I found my foot in the middle of a nest before realizing it.

redriver6
May 16th, 2009, 16:22
thats why i am here
the ant defender:applause:
i am cloned from a British ant
we will take back what was ours:icon_lol:
LOL
H

ah ha...the old cloned British ant ploy eh....well we got some Minuteman ants....................:icon_lol:

GT182
May 16th, 2009, 18:13
Not only are the fire ants a PITA... it's those dam termites too. We need something to eradicate them along with the fire ants.

pointy31
May 16th, 2009, 19:31
Are they good to eat ?.... Hon, go cook a pot of rice...:applause:

johnh_049
May 16th, 2009, 19:45

spoken like a true cajun...:icon_lol::applause:

jmig
May 17th, 2009, 04:42

Nawwwww, the acid that makes them sting also makes the meat bitter. You can't even cut the glands out beforehand. :(

Odie
May 17th, 2009, 05:36
Not only are the fire ants a PITA... it's those dam termites too. We need something to eradicate them along with the fire ants.

Ack, don't get me started on termites !

In Texas there are two types of houses, those that have termites and those that are gonna have them ! With the shifting soil in Texas, lack of a lasting chemical barrier, and the fact that they just won't go away....

And if you don't catch them quick, they can do a lot of damage in a very short period of time.

cheezyflier
May 17th, 2009, 12:27
Ack, don't get me started on termites !

In Texas there are two types of houses, those that have termites and those that are gonna have them ! With the shifting soil in Texas, lack of a lasting chemical barrier, and the fact that they just won't go away....

And if you don't catch them quick, they can do a lot of damage in a very short period of time.

watching my brother (who is fatter than even me) fall through the stairs was alot funnier to me than it was to him.