PDA

View Full Version : Aerosoft San Francisco Released

jimjones
May 15th, 2009, 11:36
Looks great. Different scenery complexities give significant fps differences. A good feature.

Only complaint so far is the duplicate object that did not get replaced as seen in the pic.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss230/jimjones_04/SF01.jpg

CrisGer
May 15th, 2009, 12:00
that is Coit Tower. I wonder if someone can make an exclude for it .

MCDesigns
May 15th, 2009, 15:11
that is Coit Tower. I wonder if someone can make an exclude for it .

Shouldn't have to, that is something AS should handle.

Looks good, can't wait for more cities.

Roger
May 15th, 2009, 15:38
Is it Dx10 or like a previous Aerosoft release not?

CG_1976
May 15th, 2009, 16:27
Ah im just getting used to Dx10, what is the effect on non Dx10 scenery?

jimjones
May 15th, 2009, 17:45
Is it Dx10 or like a previous Aerosoft release not?

Roger SF seems to work fine in dx10 mode.

Now my caveat is that not all systems are going to be able to run this. I started with setting complexity to highest value to get the most buildings, water set to high 2.x and fair weather. FPS was very slow near the airport, but improved over the city. But then I encountered spikes over buildings indicating a memory problem. I reduced complexity to normal, the lowest setting to show AS SF. Worked pretty well until I tried to run MS Streets and Trips at the same time. The spikes became quite bad, so had to abort FSX and try again.

Next I ran with Normal complexity, low 2.x water, clear sky. Flew for about 30 min, no problems.

The Normal complexity mode shows mostly the tallest buildings in the city center, and have the highest texture quality. Looks quite good up to about 1000 ft, but not much lower.

There are several tweeks to the scenery; complexity settings,traffic and autogen. There is not a lower texture density set as in AS Indianapolis.

I don't know yet what the maximum settings are for this scenery for my PC, but I am very happy with the Normal complexity. Higher complexity gives more buildings but at lower quality in some buildings.

It is an extrordinary scenery. Having designed scenery in GMX it is hard for me to imagine how this was created for a reasonable price. Bear in mind it is one season, day only scenery.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Intel C2D E6850, 3Ghz, 1333FSB, 4 Mb L2 Cache: MB(QuadCore FSB1333 ) EVGA nforce 680i DDR2: 4Gb(4x1)DDR2/800 Corsair
Xtreme:
EVGA GeForce G8800 GTS 640 Mb PCI-E: Two WDC 500 Gb SATA II, 3 Gb/s 16 Mb Cache, 7200 RPM: CL SB X-FI XtremeGamer: Sony
18X DVD+-RW Dual: 16X DVD ROM: Coolmaster 600w PS: Thermaltake Maxorb CPU fan: NZXT Case w/6 Fans: Vista Home Premium
(sp1) 32 bit.
NVidia 180.48

jimjones
May 15th, 2009, 19:10
Seems I've had better luck. Dense Complexity, Fair Weather (some clouds), Water high 2.x, dx10 mode, no other apps
running.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss230/jimjones_04/SF02.jpg
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss230/jimjones_04/SF03.jpg
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss230/jimjones_04/SF04.jpg

CrisGer
May 15th, 2009, 21:29
wow, that is nice indeed! i wonder if you could put one of the night textures higher up in the scenery list and get some night lights....does it supress night lighting completely?

jimjones
May 16th, 2009, 03:18
Neither the buildings or photoreal terrain have night textures. That's one reason for the lower cost. Aerosoft has no plans for night textures, partly because it obtained the models from another source. One would need to have the source code to apply night textures and getting real photos or creating night textures would be a huge job. I believe there are over 1000 buildings, and many are complex structures.

jimjones
May 16th, 2009, 04:53
The problem with the duplicate Coite towers is due to the fact that MeagasceneryEarth terrain for this area was active when the pic was taken.

Just guessing, either MegaSceneryEarth (MSE) introduced its version of Coite tower OR it repositioned MS version which could not be excluded by Aerosoft's efforts.

The Aerosoft terrain textures, BTW, are much more realistic than those of MSE, which show exaggerated colors and contrast. Aerosoft and MSE seem compatible except for the Coite tower problem and the sharp differece in color/contrast at the border where the two overlap.

CrisGer
May 16th, 2009, 15:50
It is a beautiful looking addon, i did not mean to sound at all negative about the night textures... i lived there and from the looks of it, that is the best San Fran out yet. thanks so much to Aerosoft for making these wonderful add ons for us, they must take a huge effort and are much much appreciated.

Panther_99FS
May 19th, 2009, 09:42
How's the FPS for those with the super-systems :ques:

stovall
May 19th, 2009, 10:22
Panther for me with what I call a high end system, (Quad Extreme X9650 GTX 280 with 1 GB of video memory and 4 GB of RAM) this scenery cause me to CTD with memory running out. This is the first time this has ever happened to me with all the add ons I have purchased and use.

Shaun Fletcher from Aerosoft was kind enough to show me the tweek about having FSX use more memory (Command Prompt add bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560). This solved the CTD's.

My FPS are usually 50 to 125 over sparce areas and over say Los Angeles down to 25 - 35. With this San Francisco scenery, I get 8 to 25 with some studders. It is acceptable but the first time I have had the problem.

Hope this help!!

icarus
May 20th, 2009, 04:11
frames 11, 13? arghhh

Shaun Fletcher from Aerosoft was kind enough to show me the tweek about having FSX use more memory (Command Prompt add bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560).

didnt know this trick can you explain better? bcedit is only for vista? i still have xp.

stovall
May 20th, 2009, 06:24
icarus, this works for both Vista and XP but the application is different. You can read all the tweeks in the following link but look for use of memory with the referance to the line mentioned above. There is a section above the Vista entry that details this in XP. Hope this helps someone else with this scenery. The memory tweek is here. (http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041)

Alexraptor
May 20th, 2009, 08:08
Looks really great.... but i could never really imagine buying a scenery product without night and seasonal textures :-/

Panther_99FS
May 21st, 2009, 20:19
Thanks folks!

spotlope
May 21st, 2009, 21:12
Looks really great.... but i could never really imagine buying a scenery product without night and seasonal textures :-/

I understand what you're saying completely about the night textures, but seasonal? As I recall from my seven years living in SF, there are two seasons: foggy and less foggy. :icon_lol: They look exactly the same as far as the textures are concerned.

Naismith
May 21st, 2009, 22:40
I fail to understand, I have thir NYC and London sceneries ad while they cause a hit they are stillquite usable, but SF brought my machin to a standstill. I have an Intel I7 920 with 6Gb RAM on a P6 Asus MB and a Radeon XFX 4850.

Alexraptor
May 22nd, 2009, 04:27
Well i don't live in the U.S so :P, but like i said, night textures are a requirement for me.

Nick C
May 22nd, 2009, 09:53
For balance, Aerosoft Manhattan causes me memory loss higher settings, San Fran didn't. With San Fran I was getting around 15 fps and that's with an edited .cfg file to extend lod_radius and texture settings fixed at 4096.

It seems this scenery is going to work fine for most, but cause a headache for one or two...which is more or less the FSX story ;)