PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba introduces Notebook w. 512GB SSD

Cratermaker
May 15th, 2009, 05:45
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=443585

It will only set you back 3500 USD, but hey.... free shipping!

I'm just glad to see the technology coming in to its own and slowly but surely replacing platters. :applause:

kilo delta
May 15th, 2009, 05:48
Makes my notebook's 64gb ssd look ancient! :kilroy:

Lateral-G
May 15th, 2009, 09:19
Video memory is still shared. Plus the Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD isn't the best for gaming. I think FSX would be lucky to get 10fps with it.

SSD is nice, but not $3500 nice.

-G-

WuhWuzDat
May 15th, 2009, 11:03
I'll steer clear of Toshiba products in the future....

I'm sitting here, on my 5 year old clunker Compaq laptop, hoping my nice, shiny, 13 month old, :tgun2:Toshiba:rocket: laptop will start charging its dead battery soon. I was using it this morning, and for about the 500th time, it switched to battery power :pop4: without reason (it was connected to it's charger at the time). Normally this was a momentary issue, but not today. I have tried using a different battery, and a different charger, and all I have succeeded in doing is draining both batteries to the point that the computer will not start.

1 month after the warranty :pop4: expired, I have a $1000 doorstop.:banghead:

Jeff :angryfir:

Lionheart
May 15th, 2009, 11:21
Amazing! 512 Gigs of SSD Hard Drive?????

How can it be.

Very cool...

I am still saving up for a MacBook Pro, which will be around $3,000.00. Seems to be the price for state of the art lappies. Oh well...

If I were rich, I would get the Notebook Air (Mac) with SSD HD as well, just for fun. Maybe I can rent one for a few days to see what its like, lol.. Imagine dropping a laptop and not damaging its HD, lol... What an amazing age we live in...

Bill

Kiwikat
May 15th, 2009, 12:13
I am still saving up for a MacBook Pro, which will be around $3,000.00. Seems to be the price for state of the art lappies. Oh well... l

Nope, just the price of Mac's. :monkies:

kilo delta
May 15th, 2009, 13:25
Imagine dropping a laptop and not damaging its HD, lol... What an amazing age we live in...

Bill

Yep...the hdd would survive......but the rest of the notebook would be scrap!:icon_lol:

Edit: speaking of scrapped notebooks... I once saw a brand new multi €000 laptop being reduced to scrap after a chap ran over it with a forklift!! :isadizzy:
The driver got a LOT of stick over that. :bump:

hey_moe
May 15th, 2009, 14:30
For 3500 clams I need more stuff:monkies:

Lionheart
May 15th, 2009, 18:51
Nope, just the price of Mac's. :monkies:

Nah.. Thats there top of the line Mac Lappie. The MacBooks start at around $800.00.

Where do you guys get all this wild stuff on Macs?

:USA-flag:

Moparmike
May 16th, 2009, 04:49
That's one big SSD! I'm patiently waiting til I can afford even something in the 120Gig size for my next lappy.

I've had very good luck with Toshiba in the past and I'll probably stick with the brand for my next laptop...I just hope I don't have WWD's luck and get a stinker.

Business grade lappys ain't cheap compared to the consumer grade rigs.
A well-optioned, top o' the line laptop from any maker can hit that 3000-3500 mark...not just Mac.
I'm spec'ing out new laptops for our office and to get the options that we need for our PLC & other software the cheapest I've been able to get is around the $2500 range...the one that I would like to get is still over 3000 though.