PDA

View Full Version : Retrieving files from FSX game discs

Quicksand
May 14th, 2009, 07:26
I know this is going to be a no-brainer to some of you more fluent in computer-ese than I, but how do I go about replacing a possibly corrupt file in FSX with a fresh copy from the game discs. I used windows explorer to get into the disc contents, but I have no idea where to look in all those cab files and installers for the stock effects files, the fx_navred, and fx_navredc to be precise. I am having a very pesky light/smoke issue with the RF Hellcat, and I'm hoping that the culprit is a corrupt effect file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GT182
May 14th, 2009, 08:31
I've set the CD or DVD in the tray but when it asks to install or play I just close it, and leave the disc in the tray. I then go to it using My Computer/Explore. You should see all the files by clicking on the disc icon. Then copy/paste what you need.

Quicksand
May 14th, 2009, 08:50
Any idea where to look on the discs? When I explore them, I see a few folders, but none containing effects. The rest are installers and cab files. I'm as lost as the proverbial babe in the woods...:kilroy:

abrussell
May 14th, 2009, 09:04
I don't believe you can copy files from the install disk. You might try deleting the files in question from Fsx on your computer and using the repair option on the install disk to replace them.
Bruce

Dangerous Beans
May 14th, 2009, 09:06
Its not possible with FSX I'me afraid.
With FS9 it was possoble to open the .cab files with winrar ect., but with FSX you cant.

Naismith
May 14th, 2009, 09:58
Can you do a repair? Rem out the effects file or drag it somewhere else in case it doesnt work, put the first DVD in and follow the repair routine. That should work, but don't quite me. :kilroy:

cheezyflier
May 14th, 2009, 10:15
frankly, i have tried several times to use the repair function and it never actually repaired anything. for example i once lost the cessna 208. the repair would not restore it. every time i had to re-install the whole sim.

Bjoern
May 14th, 2009, 10:20
Quicksand, the next time you do a fresh install of FSX keep two DVD-Rs at hand.

Then, after having installed SP2/Acceleration, run FSX once to verify that everything is running correctly.
Now zip up all the folders and files (into multiple archives) in the main FSX folder and burn them to your DVD-Rs et voilą...a ready-to-go FSX SP2/Acc backup disk.

Another benefit: If you prefer to "evade" FSX's activation tool, you'll also have a complete FSX installation at hand. Just unzip, "fix" the activation and start up FSX. No more patching and reboot sessions!

gigabyte
May 14th, 2009, 14:31
This is a bit of a long way around, but I have used it to create a "Virgin" install of FSX - just in case, and it has come in handy a few times. There are a couple way to accomplish this but what I found easiest, is do a full fresh install of FSX into a new folder or seperate drive (I created a seperate Z: drive for this purpose in a blank partition on my primary hard drive, however you can use an external drive or just a folder on you main drive). Run the full install, but do not bother with the activation just start once to make sure it installed properly, now you have a full installed copy of FSX to use for restoring any files you need. Then all you need to do is boot windows and catch the recovery console on start up (touch F8 while boot is in progress) when the recovery console appears select Last known good configuration, this will restore your registry to the state it was in (i.e. all the original FSX settings) before you did the new install. Now you will have your original FSX and settings plus a fresh set of files to navigate and selectivly recover from and SNAFU's

Quicksand
May 14th, 2009, 15:15
Thanks guys. I did just that, and after mulling my way through it, discovered that my problem has only been modified. I think I must have a coflict of some sort, between gauges or effects, or both, that is at the root of my trouble. I appreciate all of the help. At least now there are some causes that I can rule out. I'll keep trying, that much is for sure.