PDA

View Full Version : OT Order of Lenin for a Brit !! I learn every day

Seaking055
May 14th, 2009, 04:29
Came across this this morning, I learn something new each day !! I had never heard of this before
so thought it would warrant posting up for others to read.

<!-- m -->http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1181390/Stalins-British-heroes-The-discovery-forgotten-medal-reveals-extraordinary-courage-RAF-aces-fought-Soviet-Union.html

6297J
May 14th, 2009, 04:50
Kim Philby was given the Order of Lenin. And the Order of the Red Banner.
I do miss the USSR!

stiz
May 14th, 2009, 05:22
well parrently our planes where only good because of "super fast fuel"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1180896/RAF-fighter-planes-used-super-fast-fuel-U-S-win-Battle-Britain.html

:toilet:

IanP
May 14th, 2009, 07:43
Well if you will read a comic, you'll get comic book stories. :)

d0mokun
May 14th, 2009, 07:55

That comment is worth a few :guinness: alone!

IanP
May 14th, 2009, 08:41
My boss buys the Daily Wail every day. The worrying thing is that he believes what's in it.

The rest of us play "Mail Buzzword Bingo" and compare the number of stories blaming the world's woes on Labour to those complaining about immigrants to those telling you how anything you eat, touch or do is going to kill you.

There is one useful feature about the Wail (apart from being able to use it to line a birdcage, as someone else at work used to do - apparently it fit absolutely perfectly) and that's the quiz and cartoons in the middle. :)

IanHenry
May 14th, 2009, 08:46
I don’t know <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Garfield</st1:City></st1:place>’s good.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Ian
<o:p> </o:p>

6297J
May 14th, 2009, 09:36
Fred Basset rocks!

stiz
May 14th, 2009, 09:39

allthough sometimes its fun to stir the pot and watch what happens :icon_lol: :engel016:

Naismith
May 14th, 2009, 09:51
My boss buys the Daily Wail every day. The worrying thing is that he believes what's in it.
. :)

Sad thing is, there was a time when the Daily Mail was a good newspaper. I'm talking up to mid 70's, it never was a broadsheet in quality but was quite respectable. Seems that after about 1978 they felt they had to compete with the popular papers like (dare I say it) ...... The Sun and The Star in order to survive.

Tako_Kichi
May 14th, 2009, 12:05
Dragging the thread off topic I know....but...before I emigrated I used to buy the Mail on Sunday as I used to like the magazine and the comics. I never bought it for the main newspaper's editorial content nor did I buy it during the week. This was in the late 80's-early 90's period.

Seaking055
May 14th, 2009, 12:05
Sorry Guys, I just thought it was a very interesting story of one brave man

IanP
May 14th, 2009, 14:24
Yes, sorry your thread got hijacked a little, but there's a typical bit of DM research there in the picture...

A Polish Hurricane in an article about fighting on the side of the Russians? Seriously? To quote "la langue du jour", EPIC FAIL!!!

Many Brits were killed in action supporting the Russians. My grandfather spent a good chunk of the war on the North Cape Convoys, trying to get those aircraft, spares and other equipment/personnel to the Eastern Front. He survived and went on to operate in the Mediterranean, but a number of those ships turned turtle from ice accumulation, and that was before the Luftwaffe in Norway got involved any time the weather improved a little. It's another part of the war that very rarely gets discussed or remembered.

Bjoern
May 14th, 2009, 14:28
To quote "la langue du jour", EPIC FAIL!!!

Geez, chanspeak?!? Here?!?

It's like an epidemic...kind of the swine flu of the intenet.

IanP
May 14th, 2009, 14:37
It's still not quite as good as the BNP - a right wing British political party who propose kicking out all "immigrants" - using a Polish Spitfire to symbolise their campaign to "save" Britain, but it's close.

And hey, considering that the DM's usual nicknames are "Daily Wail" and "Daily Fail", then the term is quite apt. :engel016:

Bjoern
May 15th, 2009, 08:28
And hey, considering that the DM's usual nicknames are "Daily Wail" and "Daily Fail", then the term is quite apt. :engel016:

Fair enough.

Although I think that Daily Fail should have deserved at least a pic...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/t3h_3vil/Internet/fail_boat.jpg

:d

lucas81
May 15th, 2009, 10:01
It's still not quite as good as the BNP - a right wing British political party who propose kicking out all "immigrants" - using a Polish Spitfire to symbolise their campaign to "save" Britain, but it's close.

It was widely commented here, too.

I must say that it is a very interesting article.

Small OT: While making Albatros D.III (Oeffag) for the FSX i am going to create few paintschemes of 7.Eskadra Mysliwska called "Kosciuszko Squadron". Those were American volunteer pilots who served in Polish aviation during the war with Soviet Russia between 1919/20. After the war they were given the highest awards - the Virtuti Militari medal. So, it is pretty similar story but completly different time period and circumstances.

Lucas