PDA

View Full Version : OT: Your Vista replacement....

Bone
May 12th, 2009, 19:03
....coming soon.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/biztech/05/12/cnet.microsoft.windows7/index.html

rwmarth
May 12th, 2009, 19:32
You mean Vista SP3? :)

Lionheart
May 12th, 2009, 19:32
I hope its better.

:monkies:

Lionheart
May 12th, 2009, 19:33
You mean Vista SP3? :)

Windows 7

RyanJames170
May 12th, 2009, 19:34
hum some of us are going to try win 7 with FSX early and see how it pans out but so far i think its got vista's throat cut even in the RC lol

and its um as they say in shop class an ****** TON more user friendly even more then XP lol

spotlope
May 12th, 2009, 20:23
I'm reading this on my Win7 RC install. Just got off a flight around Tongass in FSX/DX10 mode, and I have to say, it's pretty sweet. My performance is roughly equal to that of my XP/DX9 setup, but with better looking water and maybe a touch more smoothness. Sadly, there are still the usual DX10 problems to deal with. Overall, so far I'm cautiously optimistic.

Kiwikat
May 12th, 2009, 20:35
Is anyone else with a powerful computer seeing any performance difference in FSX DX9 vs. vista? I'm really not convinced that this is going to be worth 250-300 dollars...

Vista is perfect for me. It is stable, fast, and good looking. Windows 7 will have to be a lot better for me to consider spending that kind of money on it.

kilo delta
May 12th, 2009, 23:43
Is anyone else with a powerful computer seeing any performance difference in FSX DX9 vs. vista? I'm really not convinced that this is going to be worth 250-300 dollars...

Vista is perfect for me. It is stable, fast, and good looking. Windows 7 will have to be a lot better for me to consider spending that kind of money on it.

Exactly, I've absolutely no problems at all with Vista Ultimate 64.

Bear in mind that Windows 7 with it's DX11 will not bring any further eye candy to FSX users. From what I've heard (I still haven't tested the new OS,as I'm happy out with my current one) Windows 7 RC does not bring much performance gains over Vista....certainly not enough to warrant a change. In fairness this may be due to buggy 7 drivers, so I'll reserve my judgement for now.

txnetcop
May 13th, 2009, 02:56
Loving Windows 7 RC. I actually had no problems with the beta and I started using the RC on my Physicians Network. It is very intuitive for networking. Vista was the 700 lb gorilla in the room that couldn't get along with all of our apps. As for gaming, can't say it's faster than XP for FSX but it is definitely faster than Vista in Call to Duty 4, Medal of Honor-Airborne, FarCry 2, and Silent Hunter-Wolves of the Pacific. So far it has done very well with everything I've thrown at it. We will do more in-depth testing at TechCorp on various systems in the next two weeks.
Ted

SkippyBing
May 13th, 2009, 04:04
I'm certainly getting better frame rates in the 7 Beta than XP running FSX on the same hardware. I think I might have slightly higher settings on the 7 install as well. Next stage is to install the RC when I've got a day free to set everything up (firefox, FSX, photoshop etc.) and see if it's still as good.

rwmarth
May 13th, 2009, 06:52
It's still just Vista under the hood and in actuality is a service pack for Vista. Not that that is a problem as I find Vista 64bit to be a fantastic OS. But if you have skipped out or given up on Vista, try W7 then and see the vast improvements over XP.