PDA

View Full Version : '9.5 Million USD'

Panther_99FS
May 12th, 2009, 17:43
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=7570118

n4gix
May 12th, 2009, 20:32
That's just insane. The person who bought it simply has more money than brains. The shame of it is that the people of South Africa most certainly won't share in the 'profits' from this sale...:a1451:

tigisfat
May 12th, 2009, 20:37
I dunno. If you've worked your butt off to become a jillionaire, and you want to buy a 9.5 million dollar diamond, then you'd be pretty pissed off if someone stopped you, wouldn't you?

I don't know why the people of South Africa would or should be allowed to share the profits from the diamond. I could only dream of buying a fighter jet one day. It may cost me 9.5 mil, too. I'll bet you wouldn't be saying I had more money than brains then. If I then sold it, I positively wouldn't be spreading the money around amongst my entire town.

safn1949
May 13th, 2009, 08:04
I dunno. If you've worked your butt off to become a jillionaire, and you want to buy a 9.5 million dollar diamond, then you'd be pretty pissed off if someone stopped you, wouldn't you?

I don't know why the people of South Africa would or should be allowed to share the profits from the diamond. I could only dream of buying a fighter jet one day. It may cost me 9.5 mil, too. I'll bet you wouldn't be saying I had more money than brains then. If I then sold it, I positively wouldn't be spreading the money around amongst my entire town.

Last time I checked a Mig 21 was a paltry $4 mil

OBIO
May 13th, 2009, 13:03
4 mil for a 21? Let me go bust open my piggy bank!

GT182
May 13th, 2009, 16:40
4 mil for a 21? Let me go bust open my piggy bank!

Ok, show me the money. I know where there's one for sale not too far from where I'm sitting right now. ;) And if that's not good enough, there are 2 Mig 23s next to it that are for sale too. Take yer pick. And yes, I do get a commission from the sale. :d

safn1949
May 13th, 2009, 16:58
I think I would rather have the MIG 23.Cash or check?

OBIO
May 13th, 2009, 19:45
To be totally honest, if I were going to buy a Mig (fat chance of that ever happening), I think I would prefer getting my hands on a 15 or 17. Just something about those small, swept wing, barrel shaped jets that I like. They are just one step away from the classic warbirds of WW2, with their radial and inline engines. Those early Migs were flown by pilots, navigated by pilots...none of the computerized crap like in modern jets....yuck!

OBIO

safn1949
May 14th, 2009, 13:38
To be totally honest, if I were going to buy a Mig (fat chance of that ever happening), I think I would prefer getting my hands on a 15 or 17. Just something about those small, swept wing, barrel shaped jets that I like. They are just one step away from the classic warbirds of WW2, with their radial and inline engines. Those early Migs were flown by pilots, navigated by pilots...none of the computerized crap like in modern jets....yuck!

OBIO

my understanding is that the MIG 15 was a real hand full to fly,almost a death trap,How about a MIG 19,fast,simple and non computerized.

n4gix
May 14th, 2009, 15:06
I don't know why the people of South Africa would or should be allowed to share the profits from the diamond.

I suspect that had you been so unlucky as to have been born in S.A. and had to work in the infamous diamond mines you may have a somewhat different perspective on the issue... :isadizzy:

tigisfat
May 14th, 2009, 22:27
I suspect that had you been so unlucky as to have been born in S.A. and had to work in the infamous diamond mines you may have a somewhat different perspective on the issue... :isadizzy:

:barf:
Sure, you're absolutely right; but what would you know about that?

And are you really preaching to me about SOUTH AFRICAN DIAMOND MINES?:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I guess if I might wish that I could keep every luxury car I made if I worked on the assembly line. Maybe I'd wish I could stay at a 5 star hotel if I washed dishes there. This conversation could go on forever and ever. The states of "not having" "impoverished" and "needing" are relative, so don't beat me in the face with these things. :blind:

The mature and educated gentleman's opinion is to understand that no matter what you do, you're providing a service and you never completely own your own position (in most cases). Noone owes anything to you, and you owe them the best services you can provide for their money. You're more likely to see success in life with this attitude than a whiny "where's my portion" one.:USA-flag:

You know what's not relative? happiness. Someone who's middle class in Europe or the US and hates everything will lead a worse life than some 3rd worlder with a pleasant outlook that doesn't have a pot to piss in. I don't see large 'churchglomerate' organizations led by televangelists beating down my a-hole neighbor Joe's door to give him free crap because he's miserable.:d

That's why it's pointless for all these "I'm better than you" church organizations to ask people to cough up their dough so that they can bring presents to third worlders. Those people are usually riding around in learjets that others paid for.:kilroy:

wombat666
May 15th, 2009, 01:08
Careful 'gentlemen' ......... we're watching!
:kilroy:

Wing_Z
May 15th, 2009, 01:39
Mmm I think a little of the crazed all-the-bad-guys-you-can-eat schlockodrama that Hollywood dished up in the 5-minutes-of-fame Blood Diamond, may have percolated into this thread and spilled beyond the immediate topic...

Best to go back to the MiGs, yes?

hey_moe
May 15th, 2009, 02:47
This is going nowhere...good grief...why are some of you guys so hateful...Mike