PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Spam, speed deleting! :)

Lionheart
May 11th, 2009, 10:45
Hey guys,

I just found out how to do something!

The other day, while clicking down a row of 50 spams and junk mail, I thought, 'what if I could select the top of a row of spams, hold down the Shift Key and click the bottom, and select the entire group without having to click every single one to mark for deleting... '

I tried it, and it worked!!!! woo hooooooooooooo!

Power spam deleting...! PSD. love it!

:ernae:

Bill

TARPSBird
May 11th, 2009, 11:09
Bill,
It's amazing how much computer stuff you find over time, just by messing around. :icon_lol: Here's one I picked up recently. In Outlook Express, if you have your local folders listed on your screen you can just left-click on a message in your Inbox, hold the key down and drag the message over to whatever folder you want to store it in. Much easier than doing Edit/Move To.

n4gix
May 11th, 2009, 15:11
Both of those "tricks" have been around since Win95 at least... :monkies:

TARPSBird
May 11th, 2009, 16:18
Both of those "tricks" have been around since Win95 at least...
Hehe, yeah, I figured that. :redf:
When there's nobody showing you this stuff, it takes a while. :d

Henry
May 11th, 2009, 16:49
Both of those "tricks" have been around since Win95 at least... :monkies:
They have!
i use thunderbird
i can flag mail to important, work,
and create my own tags
henry fs etc
and make my own folders
for one reason or another the other day i got
about 300 spam mails
easy to delete
but i have an open end mail
anything to my dot com
gets in
so speed is needed
H

n4gix
May 11th, 2009, 18:42
Well, that's the entire point of having a "standard." Nearly every program written specifically to run under Windows uses the same basic schema for the keyboard...

Ctrl-A will select all items in a list
Ctrl-C will copy selected stuff to the buffer
Ctrl-V will paste copied stuff from the buffer
Ctrl-X will cut all selected stuff and copy it to the buffer
Ctrl-Z will "undo" the last action
Ctrl-F will open the "Find" function
etc.

Because of this common schema, it reduces the learning time for any "new program" a user might acquire.

bobmay
May 12th, 2009, 01:14
Hey guys,

I just found out how to do something!

The other day, while clicking down a row of 50 spams and junk mail, I thought, 'what if I could select the top of a row of spams, hold down the Shift Key and click the bottom, and select the entire group without having to click every single one to mark for deleting... '
Bill

Excellent tip Bill, it's been there all the time but who knows about it? From time to time I thin out the hundreds of messages in my email boxes and tried lots of ways to select multiples of messages. Ctrl-click and mouse dragging seemed the most obvious but that doesn't work .... I didn't try Shift-Click.

Bob.

exc141ac
May 12th, 2009, 04:55
that "standard" stuff goes back to Word Star and CPM

cleanin' up the other day and found a couple of 8" disks

GT182
May 12th, 2009, 05:28
And if you hit Esc, even by accident, all you've highlited will be deleted. ;) So be careful.

n4gix
May 12th, 2009, 13:36
And if you hit Esc, even by accident, all you've highlited will be deleted. ;) So be careful.

If that happens, immedately click on Edit/Undelete to reverse the operation...

If you miss that, go to the Recycle Bin and "Restore" the accidentally deleted files.

Lionheart
May 12th, 2009, 14:15
This morning, I breezed through deleting spams..

:d

love it!!

GT182
May 12th, 2009, 15:50
Bill, I gotta clarify my post. The Esc deal was when replying to a post and nothing was highlited. ;) That's why I say be careful. All your thoughts will disappear and you can't get what you typed back again.

As for what you said, yeah I know that. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

And anyting I delete off my computer doesn't go to the Recycle Bin.... I have that turned off to get rid of all the crap permanently. If I want to possibly reuse something I turn on the sending of crap to the RB. ;)

Cratermaker
May 12th, 2009, 16:43
I knew almost all the shortcuts for windows by heart at one time. I was working for a place that hired me and gave me an old workstation with no mouse to work at!

I was getting paid by the hour though and they were even paying me overtime to get the work done. There's smart management! :isadizzy: