PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter afcad file

Seaking055
October 15th, 2008, 10:04
Quite a while ago there was a gentleman who made up a special type afcad parking spot for helos, this enabled the helo to take off and land on the actual spot, so no taxiing to a runway.

I can't recall who this person was, does anyone have any info or his name as I would really like to get hold of it again. It may go as far back as FS2002. I used to have it but can't find it.

Any help is appreciated

fliger747
October 15th, 2008, 10:52
???

All of the helio's that I have flown can takeoff and land on the mesh surface, which does not always coencide exactly with visual surface. At small mesh sizes it is usually pretty close. Some buildings have 'hard surfaces', some do not.

T.

Desert Rat
October 15th, 2008, 11:01
I think SK may be talking about AI helos? If he is, I would be interested to learn about this too.

sorry if I'm mistaken,
Jamie

Motormouse
October 15th, 2008, 11:10
IIRC 'twas Holger Sandmann that started AI choppers back for fs2002,
quick rummage through the files and..........
here's the starter kit file name: aiheli_1.zip
pick it up at Avsim, you'll need to rework the afcads with afcad2

ttfn

Pete

Desert Rat
October 15th, 2008, 11:11
cheers MM

:running:
Jamie

GZR_Sactargets
October 15th, 2008, 12:12
MAIW has a couple of Helo packages. Just do a search for MAIW at avsim. You should be able to substitute your helos for theirs within a package.
There are also some from UKMIL. If you asked at their forums you might get an answer on how to do it.

Seaking055
October 15th, 2008, 13:15
Thanks guys, I probably have it saved on a cd or dvd somewhere but I would have to look through an entire shelf, I think it was for 2002 but it was a really neat thing he did, Ihad choppers landing on spots instead of runways.

I'll hunt on avsim

pfflyers
October 15th, 2008, 15:17
Because most AI helicopters in FS9 use that modified motorglider air file they can take off from real short runways, if you know how to use AFCAD you can make some, and put them anywhere.

I don't know of any AI choppers that can take off and land vertically. That doesn't mean they're not out there, but I haven't seen them and I've got a lot of AI helicopters in my FS9 installation.

JO_Wingnut
October 16th, 2008, 05:01
Another place to look is Hovercontrol.com. They are dedicated to Helicopters in Flight sim. They have numerous scenery and helicopters for use. The also have some add ons that can be used with scenery creation programs like RWY12 and EZ Scenery that work for creating Helicopter pads.

Lionheart
October 16th, 2008, 07:09
I don't know of any AI choppers that can take off and land vertically. That doesn't mean they're not out there, but I haven't seen them and I've got a lot of AI helicopters in my FS9 installation.

Same here. This is the same thing I have learned is that AI Helo's cannot take off vertically (at least in FS9) that I know of, so you would definately have to have models using new airfiles. Perhaps a airfile that is designed to be highly VTOL (only take a few feet to take off) combined with a runway that is only say 3 feet long would from a distance look like it was taking off vertically. The entire airport, taxi way, etc, for that helipad would have to all be compressed into that little parking space on the AFCAD.

Sounds pretty cool. I wish I had known of this..

Bill

pfflyers
October 16th, 2008, 10:27
Someone (I wish I could remember who) made an AI helicopter package that included air&cfg files as well as AFCADS and a traffic file. It put a bunch of helicopter "airports" all around the place. Most were located on existing airports but did not use the existing runways or taxiways. The whole parking, taxiway, runway was contained in a space about 100' square.

Wing_Z
October 16th, 2008, 11:15
I did an AI helicopter package, sort of a "tour New Zealand" thing, and would've loved to have vertical takeoff and landing...
I don't believe I've ever seen this in FS9.
What I did do, was to elevate the heliports and run invisible taxi and runways into space.
At least it looks like the machine hovers before takeoff.

Seaking055
October 16th, 2008, 14:03
Yep, thats what I was looking for, I haven't had any luck so I'm trying it for myself to see if I can figure it out. This guy had it all in one.

Someone (I wish I could remember who) made an AI helicopter package that included air&cfg files as well as AFCADS and a traffic file. It put a bunch of helicopter "airports" all around the place. Most were located on existing airports but did not use the existing runways or taxiways. The whole parking, taxiway, runway was contained in a space about 100' square.

Willy
October 16th, 2008, 17:08
California Classics did some helicopter AI in their Propliner AI sets.

Wing_Z
October 17th, 2008, 01:42
Yep, thats what I was looking for, I haven't had any luck so I'm trying it for myself to see if I can figure it out. This guy had it all in one.
The package I referred to is called 10 Squirrels - search fot it on AVSIM.
May be of help...