PDA

View Full Version : Tornado

Brian_Gladden
May 10th, 2009, 06:17
... And I'm not talking about the airplane.

While people in the Midwest, and south get them all the time, they are damn rare in Vermont. Particularly in the mountainous regions.

Looks like we had one yesterday...

And only six miles from where I live!

I only had hard rain, moderate winds and a bit of hail. Didn't last long and wasn't very big but it set down in the middle of town.

http://www.timesargus.com/article/20090510/NEWS01/905109997

Brian

GT182
May 10th, 2009, 06:28
Wow, that is rare for up there Brian. Good to hear no one was hurt and it didn't touch down where you are.

Back in the 50s they had one outside of Massena, NY that leveled a farm our landlord owned, and left a mile long swath of uprooted trees. In the 70s and 80s there had a few of "possible" twisters along the Candian border. I've seen the sky full of green "egg carton" clouds when coming down out of Montreal, that scared the living daylights out of me. There's no place to hide on Rt 15 coming down to the US border.

Brian_Gladden
May 10th, 2009, 07:05
The hail at my place got pretty loud. I was out under the carport (Metal roof) grilling the burgers for supper and for a couple of minutes I had to plug my ears from the roar of the ice on the roof.

Brian

WND
May 10th, 2009, 09:54
Being from New Hampshire (up til 5 years ago, didn't they have one several years ago out in Western Mass (Great Barrington area???) that raised some "heck"????

Bill

Willy
May 10th, 2009, 11:53
I went to check on my then pregnant mare night before last and got caught in the worst hail I ever experienced. It was about penny sized, but was like getting a giant bucket of ice water dumped on the truck. Couldn't hardly see the end of the hood. All we could do was stop the truck in the middle of the road and wait it out. Although it sounded like the windshield was gonna cave in, luckily there was no damage and the horses were fine.

Panther_99FS
May 10th, 2009, 13:45
Brian,
That's a blessing that you weren't wrapped up in it...:engel016:

Brian_Gladden
May 10th, 2009, 14:03
No kidding. One of the reasons I live in VT.

Four seasons, no massive forest fires, and no tornadoes (usually)

Still get some hail from time to time.

Found these suckers in the back yard after a cell rolled through last summer.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/Brian_Gladden/hail.jpg

Brian

hey_moe
May 10th, 2009, 14:34
Them thangs look like they could cus a big owl-wee :monkies:

GT182
May 10th, 2009, 15:04
They be good sized hail stones Brian. Back in the 60s in Massena we had hail the size of golf balls, with some a tad larger. Like a dummy I ran out and picked up a few to stick in the freezer. Got nailed twice in the back and ended up with a couple of good bruises that hurt like h3ll. The ground was covered and it hurt to even step on them..... yeah, bare foot too. LOL