PDA

View Full Version : Dodosim Bell 206 released!!!

euroastar350
May 9th, 2009, 10:36
For those that like full functioning systems and accurate startup procedures in helicopters:ernae:

www.dodosim.com

empeck
May 9th, 2009, 11:39
Three weeks till payday... Must resist...

Kiwikat
May 9th, 2009, 11:43
Can't believe its almost 55 dollars.:173go1:

I was really eager for this one to be released, but at that price, I'm not really sure. Some other planes in that price range are the P-47 and Level-D 767, both of which are incredible simulations. I don't know if a chopper merits that kind of money from me.

jetstreamsky
May 9th, 2009, 11:50
From what I`ve read about Dodosim, it`s at least on par with those aircraft, but it`s a big chunk of change so enjoyment of helo flight is a must for this to be considered, on the other hand it might just be what changes a ridiculous default flight model into something much more enjoyable.

cheezyflier
May 9th, 2009, 12:55
thats....ummmmgreat.

MCDesigns
May 9th, 2009, 12:58
Great news, now they can get back to work on the Huey which was originally slated to be released first.

I sure wish this had a default startup mode as well. I like systems to a degree, but sometimes I just want to get in and fly and this model has some nice variations.

Hope this does well for them, we need more FSX heli developers

CodyValkyrie
May 9th, 2009, 13:05
I think this is a great release. Wish I had the $$ to afford it right now. I salute the developers for creating such a helo with these complex additions such as wear, and the ability to change individual models, etc. This is something that perhaps was desperately needed for a helicopter in FS.

Cheers. I'll certainly be getting this when I have a little extra $$ to spare.

euroastar350
May 9th, 2009, 13:05
Agreed Michael. Not to get too carried away, but I am tired of seeing the same aircraft over and over again (tubeliners, not that I fly them anyways). As I see it, there are airplanes over helicopters for FSX at the moment. If I knew the inner works of gmax or MAX, that would change in a heart beat:monkies:

IanP
May 9th, 2009, 13:16
When I was using FS9 and I wanted to fly a helo, unless there was a very specific reason for picking the one I wanted, I always ended up in the Dodo - or more precisely one of the repaints of the model.

This one is certainly on my shopping list, but as others have said, it'll certainly have to wait until payday or I get an unexpected windfall (or Mrs. P. isn't looking. ;))

Kiwikat
May 9th, 2009, 13:26
Possibly against my better judgment, I got it. I'll let you guys know how she flies. I don't claim to be an expert with choppers. Maybe it'll teach me. :engel016:

hobofat
May 9th, 2009, 13:32
I sure wish this had a default startup mode as well. I like systems to a degree, but sometimes I just want to get in and fly and this model has some nice variations.

Check out the 'modes' section of the website, it has automatic start-up, 5 levels of 'difficulty' as well as the ability to turn off the engine wear/damage modes.

It sounds like (though someone who owns the product will have to confirm) that you can have your cake anyway you want it!

mike_cyul
May 9th, 2009, 13:41
It's pretty good. Nice startup procedures, and is way better than the default 206 (needless to say). Only had a few minutes with it (at level 5 difficulty - the hardest), and aside from wishing the VC modeling was just a hair more sophisticated (ok, so I'm spoiled by the PBY), and the fact that I can't turn the throttle with the mouse in the VC (have to use the 2D panel - and even then, it's touchy) it's great to have a helo with this level of flight and system accuracy.

Lots to explore in this package, and a challenging sim aircraft. :)

Mike

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/mike_cyul/2009-5-9_17-25-57-425copy.jpg

mike_cyul
May 9th, 2009, 13:44
Btw, comes with high and low gear, doors on and off, and float versions. :)

Mike

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/mike_cyul/2009-5-9_17-24-47-430copy.jpg

empeck
May 9th, 2009, 13:45
Mike - could you show how exterior looks like? I'm curious how they did rotor.

I wonder, why there is no high resolution screenshots on their website.

EDIT - I was too slow ;)

Kiwikat
May 9th, 2009, 14:06
Wow! What a chopper! :isadizzy:

My first landing was... well... :blind:

Something about a Ring Vortex. Doesn't sound too good to me. :icon_lol:

Marvin Carter
May 9th, 2009, 14:15
Wonder if the HD repaints from the Aussie work on it?
Marvin Carter

hobofat
May 9th, 2009, 14:23
Wonder if the HD repaints from the Aussie work on it?
Marvin Carter

Totally different models so unless you can get the textures to line up then doubt it.

kilo delta
May 9th, 2009, 14:52
Something about a Ring Vortex. Doesn't sound too good to me. :icon_lol:

Sounds like something that I'd suffer from after a belly full of :icon29: :isadizzy:

I'm definitely going to get this addon...it's a little pricey...but think of it as Accusim for heli's and it softens the blow.:wavey:

Panther353PA
May 9th, 2009, 15:21
I will keep the review simple. This is the definitive helicopter for FSX. Period. There is not another helicopter model out that has the complete package like this one. It has top notch artwork, sounds, accurate systems, and flight dynamics. If you are not flying this helicopter in FSX, then you are not simulating helicopter flight, you're just playing a game. It's that good.

If you buy only one add-on for FSX this year, this needs to be it.

As far as easy flight is concerend, rotate the heater knob to 1, do a crtl-e, and once you are up and running rotate the knob back to 5 for the fun stuff.

ryanbatc
May 9th, 2009, 18:41
Looks decent but default gauges?

gajit
May 9th, 2009, 21:55
I had the FS9 version - The screenshots make it look like a portover - look at that rotor disc and lack of texturing in the VC. Its overpriced no matter how good the flight dynamics are.

Now if it was in a Nemeth product - I'd have it by now!!

Their Huey looks very promising.

Hurricane
May 10th, 2009, 01:41
Just taken it up for a quick spin and I'd say its the best FS helicopter I've ever flown.

The start up stuff is really good.
The handling is tricky but after a bit of practice its excellent.
The force trim is also a great idea, makes it much easier to fly with a spring type joystick.

The visual model is pretty good, probably not quite like the nemeth stuff but better than default and has different versions and very good on the FPS.

Bluebottle
May 10th, 2009, 02:51
You guys were quick to pick up the release, we haven't done any proper announcements yet!

I am Mark Adams from Dodosim and I thought I would pop in and say thanks for the interest and clear a few things up that were raised in the thread (I hope the staff don't mind)

The 206 is based on our commercial level training aid, it's has physics external to the sim not airfile tweaks, same for the systems, controls and damage. It isn't a normal add-on

Don't buy it if you are looking for eye candy, it is intended for pilots and student pilots. Having said that the model is not a port over, it is all new and true fsX. The model is designed to be high speed and low overhead to make room fr all the extra programming and still run at default aircraft fps or better. For eye candy, wait for the Huey later this year.

Default gauges? no, Dodo gauges except nav gauges.

Expensive? Yes and no.
If you want a fun add-on you would be better off buying 2 of somebody elses for the same money, if you are a realism nut or a trainee pilot you are paying to get a large percentage of the same product that military and commercial flight schools pay thousands to get hold of.
If it sounds expensive , it probably isn't for you.

No collective/ throttle mouse in VC? no, we expected everybody to use hardware for those so we only did the switches.

We will put some high res shots on the site eventually, we are a bit snowed under at the moment.

I had better get off now , I don't want to start sounding like an advert, thanks for reading, if you want to see just what is different about it the manual is available here http://www.dodosim.com/img/x206/mandraftx206.zip

kilo delta
May 10th, 2009, 03:12
Welcome to the SOH Bluebottle and thanks for a fantastic addon! It's been a looooong time since I've been at the controls of a real B206, so this will be the next best thing!

Also....sorry, but I've got to ask............When will you be releasing the Huey? :bump::wavey:

jetstreamsky
May 10th, 2009, 03:47
Well I've done a couple of short flights at full realism and it is truly amazing, especially when a stiff breeze from the side caused me to suddenly loose height which I was able to recover, plus the constant workout with the anti-torque pedals through all phases of flight, completely absorbing.

The framerate is superb too, absolutely no lag on my old single core PC (not in a city as my machine can't keep up there anyway). For a Helo this is extremely important as any kind of lag simple means loss of control.

The exterior model is very nice, I particularly like the little dents and dimples on the fuselage side, makes it 'real'. The interior is fairly plain, but tracks quickly with my TrackIR and three screen setup, which is essential. Gauges would look better as 3D which we've all become used to lately, expecially the lower gauges which don't appear quite right at their circumference, but they do work and are entirely readable.

The main point of this model though is delivered in spades, helo flight in FSX is completely lame until this package came along. It's just a shame it can't be added to other models or that Dodosim can't knock out new machines very quickly :icon_lol: :running:

If you like Helos at all, this is a MUST HAVE :ernae:

Simon853
May 10th, 2009, 04:09
The gauges in the VC are actually recessed into the panel, which is why the top of the lower gauges' circumference "don't appear quite right". If you want to, you could lower the pilot's eye position in the cfg to mitigate that.

With regards to "default gauges", most of the gauges are not default, but have been recreated so they can be driven properly by our new flight dynamics. The nav instruments are all default, but there seemed little point in recreating them for the sake of it. We did consider 3D needles, but eye candy wasn't the focus of this product. I spent nearly a year and a half implementing flight and engine physics, a custom dynamic DirectSound engine, additional failure systems, etc. Where many add-on aircraft consist of 3D models and airfile adjustments, (and there are some great results nonetheless!) the heli modelling in FS is so lacking in terms of real-world behaviour that 75% of our efforts went into putting features into the simulation that MS left out. With that in mind, 3D needles just didn't seem important to us by comparison.

The VC texturing is actually quite complex, but the mottled shading is quite subtle and sometimes difficult to see in screenshots. It was also important to keep the number of texture sheets and DirectX draw calls down to preserve performance.

Thanks to everyone here who's posted such generous praise, we appreciate it!

Regards,

Si

tigisfat
May 10th, 2009, 04:21
you are paying to get a large percentage of the same product that military and commercial flight schools pay thousands to get hold of.

If it sounds expensive , it probably isn't for you.

Cool, which ones have paid thousands to get ahold of this?:ernae:

Bluebottle
May 10th, 2009, 05:07
I can't give you an answer on that yet, negotiations are not complete.

jetstreamsky
May 10th, 2009, 05:18
The gauges in the VC are actually recessed into the panel, which is why the top of the lower gauges' circumference "don't appear quite right". If you want to, you could lower the pilot's eye position in the cfg to mitigate that.

The VC texturing is actually quite complex, but the mottled shading is quite subtle and sometimes difficult to see in screenshots. It was also important to keep the number of texture sheets and DirectX draw calls down to preserve performance.

Hello Si,

I appreciate the gauges are recessed, that was quite a problem on the 427 for various reasons :kilroy:

There's one oddity though, the fixing screws for the ADF and VOR aren't showing in game, yet the texture in the panel folder has them

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa147/Jetstreamsky/th_gauges.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa147/Jetstreamsky/?action=view&current=gauges.jpg)

gajit
May 10th, 2009, 05:20
I can't give you an answer on that yet, negotiations are not complete.

Say no more then :monkies:

ryanbatc
May 10th, 2009, 06:07
those sure look default to me....the main instruments I mean.....

Sure the knobs are different but the 2D gauges are very similar.

I guess I'll pass, since I don't have all the l33t helo controls etc....

Though the Huey looks great, that one will probably be a must-buy, the VC looks well-done and realistic

gajit
May 10th, 2009, 06:30

Though the Huey looks great, that one will probably be a must-buy, the VC looks well-done and realistic

I agree

Bluebottle
May 10th, 2009, 06:47
Both the default 206 instruments and the Dodosim instruments are based on the same real 206 instruments so they are always going to look like each other. Our show clearer detail and don't have the errors that the default ones have such as
The mph scale is wrong on the default 206 (it doesn't match the outer Knts scale)
The fuel volume is wrong on the default 206 (91 gallon tank - 75 gallon gauge)

It is pretty easy to see the difference when you see them side by side

hobofat
May 10th, 2009, 11:05

It's the coding under the gauges that absolutely matter and I guarantee you that isn't default. Besides, if Microsoft models the Eiffel Tower, and Dodosim models the Eiffel Tower, they are going to look substantially similar...

MCDesigns
May 10th, 2009, 12:40
Mark and Simon, welcome to SOH and thanks for chiming in. Congrats on the release, hope it does well for you guys!!! :icon29::icon29:

Looking forward to the Huey now!!:ernae:

euroastar350
May 10th, 2009, 13:00
I'll have to pick this add-on up when I get a chance, along with other products I've been wanting to get for the longest:ernae:

cheezyflier
May 10th, 2009, 20:20
sometimes it feels like, by the time the huey gets here, i'll look like this:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/TOETAG.jpg

Bluebottle
May 11th, 2009, 05:56
If that occurs we have an alibi ready and have never met Harry "the hit" Makerov before, honest.

For anybody who doesn't know the story, our UH-1H was put on hold so that it could be equipped with all the goodies developed for the 206. Work starts on loadng all the custom actions into the 3d model on Monday after he Weston Supermare show.

cheezyflier
May 11th, 2009, 06:45
If that occurs we have an alibi ready and have never met Harry "the hit" Makerov before, honest.

in the detective novels i sometimes read, the worst hitmen usually have some unbelievably hot babe volunteer as their alibi.

JIMJAM
May 11th, 2009, 12:59
Do you still need to setup funky unique control settings to fly it?
I loved the FS9 Dodo but changing my control settings got old.

IanP
May 11th, 2009, 13:03
According to the manual, no. This one uses the normally assigned helicopter controls, but you can also assign a few more buttons (and one rotary control for throttle) for better functionality.

I don't have it yet... But will be getting it eventually!

Paularx
May 11th, 2009, 13:53
in the detective novels i sometimes read, the worst hitmen usually have some unbelievably hot babe volunteer as their alibi.

Yes - Hitmen /w hot babes... this seems to be true - Crank movie for example.

Bluebottle
May 11th, 2009, 16:03
No changes are needed and it has a self installer this time too.

We never expected much demand for home users so the first one was left the way we installed it on custom rigs. Now we know better and we have a programmer who is very good at hiding the complexity and making things simple and user freindly.

We do recomend setting full realism and using our realism settings to suit your skill level, it does make it easier whereas he default raealism setting is not well suited to helicopters

JIMJAM
May 11th, 2009, 16:10
Ive got a few thousand hours in real helis so I think I can figure it out.
Ok,so where is the headset? Aah who needs it. Dont need to read the stinkin manual either.
Yeah wing slingers are 1/2 deaf and hard headed.

Kiwikat
May 11th, 2009, 20:38
I just gotta say, after putting a few hours into her, I feel like I have just started to dig into the complexity of helicopters.

This is an OUTSTANDING product. There is no equal in the chopper world.

Thanks for all your hard work Dodosim team. Keep it up. You're filling a huge gap with these creations.:applause:

JIMJAM
May 12th, 2009, 10:14
Dam fine work. Flew rangers on many a gas pipeline patrols. Some flight effects imo are exxagerated at the highest settings but I suppose as a training tool they need to be. I use a Saitek X-52 and the heli feels good overall but again imo more like a more agile H500. After a few flights I am running at realism 3 and 4 with the game realism one notch from full. Also added some rudder deadzone. The 500s tail is twitchy but the 206 is pretty firm. Fooling with the joystick settings in itself opens up alot of interpretation but its all good. Now painters we need some good skins.
Good job guys.

Kiwikat
May 12th, 2009, 12:42
Now painters we need some good skins.
Good job guys.

Need a paint kit first ;)

JIMJAM
May 13th, 2009, 14:20
Ok Im bored already. Had a total OS meltdown and did a total reinstall and have most my sceneries back. St Barts,Saba,TNCM,Lukla,been there done that.I had Manhatten on FS9 and even on my new I7 system, I am afraid its going to be a slide show. Besides I bore with the 3 or 4 helipads. I am bored with Helgoland,Dillingham and Hawaii,MonacoX,PNG bushpilot. Any ideas on a much needed boost in my heli flying? I am now able to run Acceleration and have yet to try the sling. Any challenges,areas or scenery ideas to keep my flying skills sharp with the Dodo welcomed.

Dangerous Beans
May 13th, 2009, 14:55
Ok Im bored already. Had a total OS meltdown and did a total reinstall and have most my sceneries back. St Barts,Saba,TNCM,Lukla,been there done that.I had Manhatten on FS9 and even on my new I7 system, I am afraid its going to be a slide show. Besides I bore with the 3 or 4 helipads. I am bored with Helgoland,Dillingham and Hawaii,MonacoX,PNG bushpilot. Any ideas on a much needed boost in my heli flying? I am now able to run Acceleration and have yet to try the sling. Any challenges,areas or scenery ideas to keep my flying skills sharp with the Dodo welcomed.

How about a bit of oil rig flying http://www.fs-odg.com/

gajit
May 13th, 2009, 15:06

Yeah - flying perfect all the time gets boring :sleep: :sleep::sleep:

JIMJAM
May 13th, 2009, 15:25
My idea of perfect is you dont kill someone,destroy or damage something and the check clears.
All Dodo needs to do is figure out how to add some wobble during spool up/down. Now that would add some realism.
I did try 2x to land on the cruise ship at TNCM/Flytampa. I do believe my Saitec X-52's rudder/stick twist pot is worn out. I just cannot get the tail to settle down. During calibration, even the slightest touch and the red bar bounces side to side. Helis are hell on sticks. Its lasted 2 heavy handed years and more than a few drops so Ive got my moneys worth.

wantok
May 13th, 2009, 15:47
Since you asked, Jimjam, I'm going to have to request your full resume to try the higher altitudes with the 206. The product is on short final now at islandsim.com (http://islandsim.com)

Of course this is a shameless plug.:icon_lol:

Graham

JIMJAM
May 13th, 2009, 16:37
I like your scenery as I am a bushpilot at heart but hearing the sounds of chickens and goats over my turbine engine is freakin hillarious! First thing I did was cruise the sound folder and get rid of it all. But the advert is right in saying its desolate. Makes Alaska seems like downtown LA. I am looking forward to the additional strips and together with instant scenery, might have a base of operations.

IanHenry
May 15th, 2009, 10:13
Hi,
I have a question for people who have purchased this model. Would you consider it worth buying for someone who would like to learn to fly FS helicopter (I always find them ‘unnatural’ to fly, and can never land them exactly where I intend)
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
So basically is it a good buy for the novice/incompetent helicopter pilot or will I end-up frustrated by it?
<o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian

JIMJAM
May 15th, 2009, 11:49
Its like having your joystick attached to a plate with ball in the center and you are trying to keep it there. Bottom line is that YOU make the heli do what YOU want it to. It takes practice. A good joystick and throttle are a must. I suggest the Saitek X-52 which is a good value. First fly the FSX helis at mid realism and skip the highest all together as it is really not that difficult. If so in real life there would be crashes everyday.The Dodo is not like the early Nemeth Russian helis that required a PHD and a 300 page checklist to get it started The DODO you can simply hit control e and the buttons,switches will light up,click it and the next one.... till you are running. You have a rotary dial, the heater, where you can adjust the realism. At its lowest, you have a steady platform and can practice on hand eye coordination. Bump it up and real world flight dynamics start to be added. Its very satisfying to complete a flight and switching to planes makes them seem rather tame. Same with the FSX helis. I can sling them around and drop them on most anything,any place where as the DODO keeps me honest. Ive gotten cocky and busted my ass more than once. . Its very flexible to allow newbies to transition to advanced without a steep learning curve. So Yes, I would say the Dodo is a great way to get into helis. Back in 1985 when I began heli training in a Hughes 300 it was ,gulp, $130 a hour. To give some reference a nice IFR 172 fueled was $35 a hour. So $50 for a nice heli sim is not bad. I have no idea what the R22 trainers go for today but the 206 I flew had a operating cost of $500 a hour.

jetstreamsky
May 15th, 2009, 11:53
Given that a lot of the unnatural feel comes from FSX itself, you have a much better chance of enjoying the Dodosim, having said that, you have to be on the ball especially at the slow end of flight. Most important is to keep FSX max realism settings for your controls, anything less just means you have no chance in properly reacting to changing conditions. Add to that that you can select 5 levels of simulation right from the cockpit via a rotary switch while in flight and it'll give a lot of enjoyment. Setting a light but constant wind also helps give some degree of aerodynamic stability too.

Kiwikat
May 15th, 2009, 12:33
Hi,
I have a question for people who have purchased this model. Would you consider it worth buying for someone who would like to learn to fly FS helicopter (I always find them ‘unnatural’ to fly, and can never land them exactly where I intend)
<o:p></o:p>
So basically is it a good buy for the novice/incompetent helicopter pilot or will I end-up frustrated by it?
<o:p></o:p>
Regards,
Ian

I think it would be an excellent purchase for someone who wanted to learn how to fly choppers in FS. It is by far the best one in my hangar. The soundset and flight model are unmatched.

IanHenry
May 15th, 2009, 12:47
OK thanks guys, I think I might give it a try on your recomendations.

Ian

Hurricane
May 15th, 2009, 13:21
It has different difficulty settings for less experienced pilots.

I actually find it the easiest to fly of all my FS helicopters. I think that most are either unnaturally stable or over twitchy. A real helicopter should have sensitive but smooth controls, the dodo 206 seems to do this, it works on light pressure on the stick, most seem to need large inputs to get it to do something which then over corrects it the other way and ends up spiralling out of control. The dodo doesn't seem as willing to run away with itself but still just enough instability to keep you on your toes. Talking to real pilots I get the impression that helis in real life are not necessarily much more difficult, just very different.
This could also be that you know you have to fly the dodo properly since it will go into VRS when you descend into your downwash etc. others you know you can get away with it.

The trim feature is also good in the dodo where you have a spring joystick (I've got an X52), others need constant pitch roll and yaw inputs which make your hands tired after a couple of mins, with the dodo I've been comfortably doing flights around an hour.

I've found I've barely flown anything else since I got the dodo, even the real air duke or careando c152 which I've been addicted to lately.

JIMJAM
May 15th, 2009, 15:57
The most common problem is you cannot feel movement in "this" sim. You rely on just your vision and so you need to widen it to allow yourself as much visual input as possible. I zoom out to 50 or 60 and look down so I can see the pedals. Dont grip the stick but anchor your elbow and open hand and move the stick. I use my pinky and thumb to control pitch. You should never have a death grip or if you catch yourself squeezing it,stop and relax. Overcontrolling is mistake number one. Dont stare at one spot but take in the whole screen. Remeber you are flying the disc not the helicopter. Start by short hovers and gradually making longer ones. Start landing in a general area and gradually making the touch down spot smaller and smaller. Before you know it you will be landing on smaller helipads,oil rigs and ships. Thats what makes helis so enjoyable to me is the challenge and rewards it brings. Ive grown pretty rusty so tonight I am going to try and get in a few landings on a hospital pad surrounded by buildings.

IanHenry
May 15th, 2009, 23:23
Thanks for all your tips. My biggest problem when (attempting) to fly helicopters is that during the takeoff, hover and landing I have a habit of going backwards!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I suppose I had better keep practicing.
<o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian

JIMJAM
May 16th, 2009, 05:26
Dont hesitate to go to the outside view from behind. That will give you an idea of how the stick movements effect the heli. Ignore the gauges,dont stare at one area and stay ahead of it. The lag especially on the defaults helis is horrible. Say the heli begins slightly going backwards,by the time you add forward stick its already really moving back and then when the forwards imput catches up, this problem just continues. That where alot of people misunderstand the problem. They naturally reduce joystick sensitivity and add deadzone to the stick and or/ reduce the realism settings to "dumb" down the heli. This may make the heli more stable but you loose alot of the ability to precisly control it. Worse if you learn this way then moving to a Dodo is going to seem like balancing a marble on a bowling ball. Find you a heli with wheels, go out to KEDW and practice away. At least then instead of digging the skids in the ground you can roll it out.
Also for a while take off with the nose slightly forward and fly out forward. Same with landing. Always be moving slightly forward. Again this is where a wheel heli will really help or use one of the DODOs with floats on the water.

BananaBob
May 17th, 2009, 03:24
New alternative rotors here:

http://cid-5ffab2d3eb4ba77f.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/DoDo|_FSX|_rtrs.zip (http://cid-5ffab2d3eb4ba77f.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/DoDo%7C_FSX%7C_rtrs.zip)

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8837/dosimrtr.jpg

MCDesigns
May 17th, 2009, 04:38
Outstanding Bob, a big improvement!!

BananaBob
May 17th, 2009, 04:52
Outstanding Bob, a big improvement!!

Thanks Michael, I can't believe how great this bird handles and I have the start up down by heart already.:ernae:

mike_cyul
May 17th, 2009, 06:28
Thanks for the new textures, Bob - much appreciated.:applause:

Mike

daytonite_andy
May 17th, 2009, 06:29
As a frustrated FS helicopter pilot for many years I'm really enjoying the Dodo 206. For me I started off on the hardest difficulty (I figured if I'm going to learn how to fly it then I may as well learn properly from the start. First couple of hours was tricky but not impossible. You can hear when you are treating this bird rough!! Sounds unbelievable, but I'm finding it easier to fly that the default helicopters and long flights are not tiring now. I'm using a Saitek Evo Joystick, Saitek yoke throttle and Saitek rudder pedals and none of these stop moving once I'm airborne!!

Ian - I had the same problem of flying backwards when transitioning from forward flight to a hover. I guess it's not having wide peripheral vision to judge the movement of the helicopter. I've had less occurences of this in the Dodo 206. I can pretty much land with grace now (still have to be travelling at 3 - 5 knots though).

Bob - Thanks again for the rotor texture. Your work is much appreciated. :ernae:

JimJam - You say you are looking for new challenges with scenery in FSX. You say you are bored with Helgoland, but have you tried landing on the moving warship that circles the island? About 5 hours practice, with real weather I managed it repeatedly. Then the wife came in and I crashed....:icon_eek:

http://www.daytonite.co.uk/images/soh/Helgoland_ship_1.jpg
http://www.daytonite.co.uk/images/soh/Helgoland_ship_2.jpg
http://www.daytonite.co.uk/images/soh/Helgoland_ship_3.jpg

Regards

Andrew

Kiwikat
May 17th, 2009, 09:09
New alternative rotors here:

Thanks a TON Bob!!!

My only complaint about this helicopter has been fixed. :medals:

BananaBob
May 17th, 2009, 10:16
Thanks a TON Bob!!!

My only complaint about this helicopter has been fixed. :medals:

Thanks bro, maybe they'll let me do the rotors for the Huey? Always worth a shot. :ernae:

Bluebottle
May 23rd, 2009, 07:53
The paint kit is now available for the Dodosim 206 FSX.

http://www.dodosim.com/free/Dodosim_206_FSX_paintkit.zip

BananaBob
May 23rd, 2009, 08:09
Thanks a ton! :ernae:

Simon853
May 30th, 2009, 09:21
With regards to the flying backwards problem when you're transitioning from a hover to forward flight, it's worth knowing that with only the pilot, the 206 has and aft CofG. Try adding the weight of a co-pilot to the spare front seat.

We demo'd the 206 at the Weston-Super-Mare sim show a few weeks ago and a lot of novice sim pilots had a go. Ending up flying backwards was very common! Things only start to get more difficult then as it tries to flip round on you due to the weather-vaning.

Si