PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Cruise

Curtis P40
May 9th, 2009, 06:21
Hi :wavey:
Getting ready to take a cruise at the end of the month. Never been west of the Mississippi (in the states that is). Sailing out of Seattle with stops in Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria,
Canada. If anyone lives or has traveled this way before, I'd like the hear your suggestions for things to do/see along the way. One day stops in each of the cities.
Thanks, Curt :kilroy:

Skipsan
May 9th, 2009, 06:29
My brother, sister and I will be off on a "Alaskan Cruse" come this mid August were doing the 14 day-er via the Attic circle. Do bring some warm clothing and rain gear. And Yes we are quite civilized out this way and up north.

Enjoy the experience:jump:

Skipsan:kilroy:

kjb
May 9th, 2009, 06:50
My wife and I have taken two cruises up the Alaska coast. There is a lot to see and some really good salmon along the way. I would say that Juneau was our favorite, with Ketchikan a close second. Don't forget the camera. Kayaking in Ketchikan is highly recommended.

Daveroo
May 9th, 2009, 07:20
both of you posters..i have never done the alaskan cruises...(like i could afford that)..but i sure as heck hope you have fun...enjoy yaselves

patsytwo
May 9th, 2009, 08:00
Curt - send me your e-mail and I will send you a copy of our "excursion itinerary" from our cruise last September. What cruise line are you booked on?

Marty
mottyandbee@msn.com

hey_moe
May 9th, 2009, 08:55
You will have the time of your life and plan on getting stuffed everyday.Juneau was the best for us but all the ports you are going to is also sweet....take plenty of pictures for us to enjoy...Mike

cheezyflier
May 9th, 2009, 09:53
i did the sitka sunset mission in fsx, does that count? :icon_lol:

Gdavis101
May 9th, 2009, 11:40
I was thinking about taking that same cruise next month, but things didn't work out that way.. So, have fun!

Curtis P40
May 9th, 2009, 12:36
Sorry to hear that 101. This trip was a "gift" from our son. He graduates this Friday from Purdue, and he has always lived at home while in school. I think this was his way of repaying us. Tho, come to think of it, I've paid for almost all of it so far. How does that work? Been off work since November, and if it doesn't stop raining around here, it's going to be awhile. So might as well go, spend some money I probably shouldn't, and have some fun.

Question for those of you that have been on a cruise. On your meals, we have 2 Formal and 5 Smart Casual Nights. I can maybe handle a tie but I don't think a Tux, to eat, is going to happen. Does this mean I have to eat at the Vending machine on these nights? Is there Vending machines?

Hey Cheezyflier, I've spent the last two months flying around this area in fs9. Sure hope looks better in real life.
Thanks Guys
Curt :kilroy:

hey_moe
May 9th, 2009, 16:22
If you are going RC there are plenty of places to eat. You don't need a suit or a Tux to eat at any place on the ship. I like wearing a Tux because when we go we like to dress up. But only a few nights. Most of the time I wore just regular pants and a shirt.90% of the time I was in shorts or a bathing suit. After you get all packed up, go back and remove half of what you are taking. Most people over pack big time. If you are going on any of the other cruise lines most of what we saw was come as you are...lol.Make sure you have heavy duty tags on your luggage. No matter what cruise line you are taking you will have a great time. The service is always outstanding. You don't need any money on the ship...everything is billed to your room and you can look on your TV each night and see what ya spent if you worry about that part. You should go here>> http://www.cruisecritic.com/ and find your cruise in the forum. You will find any and all your answers there. Most of the people who will be cruising with you will be in this forum. Ask any kind of question and what are good prices when in port and they will find it for ya....have fun..Mike

Curtis P40
May 9th, 2009, 16:35
Thanks for your insight, Mike.
Curt

Railrunner130
May 10th, 2009, 06:31
I haven't been on an Alaskan cruise, but I looked into it and still want to go someday.

It's probably too late, but-- if you can, take a smaller boat. This will allow you to see more of the wildlife. The smaller boats can get in closer to the shores and fit in tighter places.

The beer (if you're into that sort of thing) is phenominal in Alaska. Alaskan Brewing produces some of the best beers in the world. They're in Juneau and I think would be well worth the visit.

You might also want to photograph the totem poles along the way. They're a dying art form. Learn what you can about them.

That's my advice. Enjoy!

:ernae: