PDA

View Full Version : Cowl flaps controll assignments

PRB
May 9th, 2009, 05:04
Can cowl flaps be assigned to a lever on my CH products yoke? I’ve read posts here from time to time that sort of imply this can be done, but in either FS9 or FSX, the cowl flaps can only be assigned to a button, and not to a “control axis.” I’d like to assign the cowl flaps to one of the otherwise un-used throttle levers on the yoke.

SpaceWeevil
May 9th, 2009, 11:34
I was able to assign the open and close to separate buttons on my Sidewinder 2 joystick but I don't think you can assign both to one control simply because, unlike the canopy or spoiler, open & close are two distinct commands. I use the mouse to drag the cowl flaps lever in most cockpits.

PRB
May 9th, 2009, 12:56
I currently have the cowl flaps assigned to the up (open) and down (close) positions of one button on my throttle quadrant. But as far as the game is concerned, those are separate buttons anyway. I have the CH Products yoke that comes with three levers (for throttle, prop, and mixture), but since I also have the throttle quadrant, I would like to assign the cowl flaps to one of the levers on the yoke, but this does not appear to be possible. But then I remembered that the control manager software that comes with the CH Products stuff is supposed to allow you to make assignments that would otherwise not be possible with the normal USB - game interface.

So I installed it.

Oops...

It completely re-wrote all my assignments! And I had them all setup the way I liked em. So I've been muttering cuss words this afternoon while I re-built my assignments for the two-engine and four-engine configurations, for FS9 and FSX.

When I get done with that I'll see what the fancy control manager program can do.

CBris
May 9th, 2009, 21:46
You can program keypress sequences into the pay-version of FSUIPC, no? So if you have this, you can set different commands to your external controllers.

You can certainly program keypresses to buttons if you have the Saitek software for your X52 joysticks installed.