PDA

View Full Version : Merlin2 Blended Airfield Method

merlin2
May 8th, 2009, 16:38
Hi everyone: I've been working on a new airfield method. I tried to use Maskrider's but I think it is just too tough for me. So I invented my own which I think is easier. (Nothing against MR, who in my opinion makes the best airfields in the CFS2 world!)

In a nutshell, my method takes a snapshot of the CFS2 world and blends it with a snapshot of an airfield taken from GoogleEarth or anywhere else. Programs needed are only FSSC and a graphics editor such as PhotoShop. I use Serif Photo Plus which is free and works great.

An option in this method is to blend airfields to seasonal textures.

Since I can't seem to get attachments working here at the SOH right now, I have uploaded five examples with seasonal changes from Tempsford RAF base to my own site: please have a look and let me know what you think:
http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/tempsford-hw.JPG
http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/tempsford-spring.JPG
http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/tempsford-summer.JPG
http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/tempsford-winter.JPG
http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/tempsford-ex.JPG

I have also created a BETA tutorial that explains the process step by step and includes examples at each stage of the work. I would be most appreciative if some of you experts would have a look and let me know what you think.
http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/Merlin2%20Blended%20Airfield%20Tutorial%20Beta.pdf

You will find some small issues that are discussed at the end of the tutorial.

It is certainly possible that this method has already been developed by someone else, but I am not aware of it. I would appreciate any suggestions, as well as any tips to improve the method.

happy flying

merlin2 AKA William Renwick

AGAS 5
May 8th, 2009, 17:12
Thanks Merlin2 - these are always appreciated ! the airfields look great too....

Your issue#1 sounds familiar to a problem I originally encounted when MR was coaching me through his process.... is it similar to a "bleed through" of the original ground though the texpoly?

If so, it didn't appear on all PC's but it did for mine (frustrating MR at the time I recall :icon_lol: ). I assumed it had to do with individual vid cards (or their setup).

As MR hand coded the .sca file prior to compiling into a .bgl, he got around it by introducing "Zbias" . An example of its use:

XXXXXXXXXXX

; --------------------
; TexPoly
; --------------------

; Polygon 1
Area( 5 S34:25:18.2999 E147:30:42.3000 15 )
IfVarRange( : 346 2 32767 )
RefPoint( rel :lblEnd 1.0 S34:25:18.2999 E147:30:42.3000 v1= 31800 v2= 3180 )
LoadBitmap( 0 5 F0 0 0 0 "temora.bmp" )
Smoothing( 1 )
Zbias( 1 )
Points( 0
-500 0 -500
500 0 -500
500 0 500
-500 0 500
)
TexPoly( m 0 32767 0 0
0 0 0
3 0 255
2 254 255
1 254 0
)
Zbias( 0 )
Smoothing( 0 )
:lblEnd
EndA

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Issue #2

Recomend not chasing your tail moving/adjusting the texpoly.... as you state, just keep it within the boundry of the flatten - which itself does not have to be square - you can make it any shape you want. the more you do so though, the higher the effect on frame rates.

Issue #3

Something at the back of my mind is telling me that the solution to this is also addressed in the way it is coded above, but for the life of me I can't recall the details.....

Hope this helps....

Pete

merlin2
May 8th, 2009, 17:24
Thanks for the comments.

And I will upload tempsford soon for those that are interested. It was a base for covert operations.

I remember reading about the hand edited TextPoly and figured it had to do with transparencies or something--but I didn't get that far with MR's system. It was the use of masks and all which I was not used to. I would add, that it was working through MR's system that got me going on my method!

dvslats
May 10th, 2009, 17:45
Hiya merlin2,
Looking at your screenshots, it looks like a great method! From an observer's viewpoint, it really blends well with the ETO style texture patchwork that CFS2 gives us. Nice Job...:applause:

Ravenna
May 10th, 2009, 18:08
Well, the pictures say it all William. The result is worth having. Looking forward to your new work!

merlin2
May 31st, 2009, 14:59
I have just uploaded the Merlin2 Blended Airfield Tutorial and also RAF Tempsford 1941 to the Sim-Outhouse. They should be available shortly.

thanks and happy flying.

merlin2

jimski
June 2nd, 2009, 13:24
Yes, a nice job. Have you given thought to doing a set of English bases to compliment the BOB bases and the 8th AF bases that are already around? I started doing heavy RAF bomber bases, mostly based on Wikipedia photos, and had 15 or 20 done but they were pretty hard edged and I sort of gave up knowing how maskwriter's bases looked. But it was fun to fly a heavy out of say Woodhall Spa for a night mission. That area of England had a base every ten miles or so and landing at the wrong base must have been common and their patterns must have tangled. Somewhere I read there were over 200 airbases in England during WW2.

Jimski

merlin2
June 2nd, 2009, 14:03
Hi Jimski:
I see from your attachment that you have my new Tempsford RAF base. Looks like you have the "winter" season but then your surrounding textures are not matching. Maybe you have the default CFS2 textures, instead of Stiz, Simonu, or the wrong season. In any case, it is supposed to !blend!

I sure would love to build a set of blended airfields for Britain. I have already a longish list of ones I'd like to see, but it takes a bit of time and attention to detail :) :) I could probably turn out about one per month. The time consuming aspect is the hand editing, but that is also what gives it the good looking finish.

PS: glad to see you are flying a Beaufort. Thanks for writing.
For some reason my blended airfield tutuorial is no yet available for download at the outhouse; I'll check on it tomorrow.

jimski
June 2nd, 2009, 15:07
I get it now about the seasons. I just selected it in "settings" and I suppose the winter texture was in the folder by default. I'll try to include an updated pic. I am using the stock scenery right now. Will try newer stuff when they are available for download again.

By the way, Wikipedia gives a bit of history of the secret base but it looks to be mainly a base for heavy bombers.

When I was in practice I could do a base with fssc in an hour or so once I had done the research for the base. They were hardly "blended" and usually have the look of brand new concrete. The pan hardstands are a pain.

Jimski

merlin2
June 2nd, 2009, 16:57
that looks nice!
I would recommend that you try the Stiz european textures and the simonu seasons; they are especially nice in the european theatre.

thanks

merlin2
June 6th, 2009, 11:00
Hi All; the blended airfield tutorial is now available at the Sim-Outhouse.

thanks

merlin2