PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek Movie

Eoraptor1
May 8th, 2009, 13:49
Saw it this afternoon. I won't say too much other than that I enjoyed it. The producers are definitely angling toward the action/adventure end of the spectrum. There was one thing that happened in it I REALLY didn't like, but on the whole, I liked the movie. I do understand the reboot; after all the various series and novelizations, the potiential for continuity errors in new stories is huge, and there are a million nerds online (these are my people, and I know their ways) just waiting to catch a violation of "canon" so they can screech. Trust me, Cotton Mather wasn't as doctrinaire or judgemental as some of my people. I'll say more when more members have seen the film. I don't want to be a spoiler.

JAMES

Lazerbrainz2k3
May 8th, 2009, 13:53
You already spoiled my opportunity to post about seeing that movie. As far as I'm concerned, you're already a rotten human being.

:icon_lol:

T-minus 130 minutes and counting to my showing.

MCDesigns
May 8th, 2009, 14:54
I talked to 2 co-workers today that saw it and loved it, can't wait to see it myself.

Lionheart
May 8th, 2009, 16:07
Oh man! I want to see it..! arrghh..

<--- off to check the local listings..

WuhWuzDat
May 8th, 2009, 17:00
hopefully this won't be too much of a spoiler, but the movie does prove one old Star Trek Axiom......

"......If there are any green women out there, Kirk is gonna get em!"

Jeff

dcc
May 8th, 2009, 17:43
just saw it... very fun flick. Loved the opening scene especially.

as a big fan of TOS I thought it was great.

I'll resist the temptation to reveal anything more so as not to spoil.

- dcc

jbtate
May 8th, 2009, 22:47
Maybe gotta to let "my people" go ...
Go boldly go where no nerds have gone before ...
Not toward less ...
Of and of ...
jbtate

Wulf190
May 8th, 2009, 23:42
I don't care much for Star Trek, but this one I like! :bump:

jbtate
May 9th, 2009, 10:41
Looking forward to seeing the new Star Trek movie.
It's a comfort to see an inevitabily forward thinking example of positive consensus. With hot chicks.
jbtate

Terry
May 9th, 2009, 12:22
Nimoy said Paramount has already authorized a script for the sequal.

GT182
May 9th, 2009, 17:31
Well, I'm going to wait till this fall when it comes out on DVD. Then I can watch it as many times as I want for a whole lot less. ;) I'm not trying to rush things but hurry up Paramount and get it on a DVD. 19.96 is a whole lot less than 10 bucks a shot for 3 or 4 times to see what you miss or can't remember from the first time.

Ridge
May 9th, 2009, 21:19
Just got back...Ive seen maybe 2 episodes of the original Star Trek, yet I could name off the characters as they showed up on screen..I'm such a nerd:kilroy:

Epic movie, great way to restart the franchise. I heard every Star Trek cliche phrase with the exception of "He's dead, Jim"

Loved it! Will definately buy it once it comes out on DVD.

Drake
May 10th, 2009, 00:01
Great movie. The cast was amazing. Chris Pine impressed me. I mean he just was Kirk. Karl Urban's McCoy was just eerie. He was dead on DeForest Kelly. Nice little nod to Enterprise in there too if you caught it.

Eoraptor1
May 10th, 2009, 05:53
Great movie. The cast was amazing. Chris Pine impressed me. I mean he just was Kirk. Karl Urban's McCoy was just eerie. He was dead on DeForest Kelly. Nice little nod to Enterprise in there too if you caught it.

Something I thought the movie did very well was show Kirk's situational awareness, which I think is the character's prinicpal quality - other than being a babehound. Spock is smarter and stronger; McCoy knows more about alien life; Scotty knows more about starships; Uhura knows more about xenolinguistics. Kirk puts the pieces together and acts; saves the navel-gazing for later.

If you ever find yourself in deep space, what you DON'T want to do is crack wise about Spock's mama...

JAMES

PS Did anyone see Leonard Nimoy on Saturday Night Live?

Lionheart
May 10th, 2009, 17:39
Just saw it!

Awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome!!!!!!!!

The Enterprise! Awesome...
Acting, Brilliant.

Love how the base characters start showing up, like Scotty, lololol... Priceless... (poor Beagle).

:applause: :medals: :applause:

with a :guinness:

Bill

Ridge
May 10th, 2009, 18:17
Admiral Archer's beagle :)

Lionheart
May 10th, 2009, 19:04
Admiral Archer's beagle :)

I didnt want to give that out, lol... What a great movie.

Kirk to Sulu, during space sky drop deployment onto enemy atmospheric mining drill; 'What is your hand to hand combat training in?'
Sulu; 'Fencing'
Kirk; ....grim look
.........later, enemy attacks with a sword, lol.. proper!

I may have to go see it again..

jbtate
May 10th, 2009, 19:35
Saw the early matinee this afternoon -- great movie, had a nice feel in relation to the other previous series and casts. Looking forward to seeing it again on DVD, hopefully with some nice extras.
Only complaint was with the stale popcorn apparently left over from Saturday night ...
jbtate

Ridge
May 10th, 2009, 20:02
I didnt want to give that out, lol... What a great movie.

Kirk to Sulu, during space sky drop deployment onto enemy atmospheric mining drill; 'What is your hand to hand combat training in?'
Sulu; 'Fencing'
Kirk; ....grim look
.........later, enemy attacks with a sword, lol.. proper!

I may have to go see it again..

There was that one red shirt that went with them...you know what happens to the unnamed red shirt :)

strega13
May 10th, 2009, 20:23
great way to start anew with a franchise that has been done over and over again .
the only complaint i have is that in typical J.J.Abrams fashion , what was a much more subtle type of humor in the TV shows or the previous movies ( outside of the oddball episodes like all the tribble ones ) has now been changed into the usual "summer blockbuster style of cheap jokes" that now litter the whole movie . too bad , otherwise , it is by far the best star trek movie outside of first contact and wrath of khan .

Lionheart
May 10th, 2009, 22:11
There was that one red shirt that went with them...you know what happens to the unnamed red shirt :)

Yep.. Right into that drilling beam, lol...

Reminds me of another space movie I love. Galaxy Quest! :d

Bill

MCDesigns
May 11th, 2009, 12:04
Wow, just got back from the early showing. Saw it in digital (sounds are usually better) with a buddy that is a die hard Trekkie (he was very negative about this one), more so than myself.

BRILLIANT casting, they were all very believable (Scotty could have been better though, but Bones was spot on as was Kirk!). I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to the next one. I was hoping for enough references and continuity to the originals that it might keep some of the familiarity and I was not disappointed, as was my friend who came out loving it!

I only wish they were doing this as a series and not just movies, more to watch then.

Great show, 2 thumbs up! :ernae:

n4gix
May 11th, 2009, 15:16
Once, just once I'd like to see a Gold Shirt bite the dust while all the Red Shirts come back whole and hearty...

...mind you, it needn't be an important Gold Shirt, but perhaps one of the disposable Ensigns on their "Snotty Cruise..." :icon_lol:

Piglet
May 11th, 2009, 17:50
I just saw it. Good fun movie. But was the Enterprise engineering section filmed in a dairy or beer brewery?!?
P.S. The poor Beagle!

Willy
May 11th, 2009, 19:32
Just got back from seeing it too. First Star Trek movie in quite a long time that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Looking forward to a sequel!

Gdavis101
May 11th, 2009, 19:46
I was watching some interviews this last weekend with " Trekkies" and or "Trekkers" and none had very many nice things to say about it.. I could not help but think if it wasn't for this movie Trek and its cast and crew we may have never seen another Trek Movie.. I am just glad that Trek is alive and kicking again! There was a snippet on one of the entertainment shows that they have already started on another screen play for its sequel!

Lionheart
May 11th, 2009, 20:35
I just saw it. Good fun movie. But was the Enterprise engineering section filmed in a dairy or beer brewery?!?
P.S. The poor Beagle!

Roger that. I was trying to figure out what kind of factory would use those huge tanks, all in an enclosure.

Pretty cool though. I wonder if that was in the secondary hull. The saucer section must be all the crews quarters and all.

Yeah.. The Beagle was on a trip from a planet to planet 'transport'. eeks!

Scotty, on planet to planet beam-overs; "Oh and by the way, its very easy!"

-oops

Bill

Wozza
May 11th, 2009, 21:46
Hi
Only 2 good things came from my viewing of the film
1 the jump to warp sound effect
2 the Transformers2 trailer
the rest they can stick in one of the black holes :D
Wozza

Piglet
May 12th, 2009, 01:55
1 the jump to warp sound effect

Yeah I thought that was too cool.
The phaser/blaster gunfights were also cool. No wimpy electronic bleeps, or farts, just sharp cracks and things definately getting hit.
Don't care much for Transformers, but GI-JOE looks semi-intresting.

Quixoticish
May 12th, 2009, 03:45
I was watching some interviews this last weekend with " Trekkies" and or "Trekkers" and none had very many nice things to say about it.. I could not help but think if it wasn't for this movie Trek and its cast and crew we may have never seen another Trek Movie.. I am just glad that Trek is alive and kicking again! There was a snippet on one of the entertainment shows that they have already started on another screen play for its sequel!

There are plenty of Trekkies (myself included) who absolutely loved the new film, however the media is out to portray some grandiose "taking over" of the Trek franchise by the general populace now that it is "accessible" and they are hunting high and low for the worst geek stereotypes imaginable with the most vitriolic sentiments about the new film to make their point at the moment.

Quixoticish
May 12th, 2009, 03:47
P.S. The poor Beagle!

A beer brewery. Specifically the Budweiser brewery in Van Nuys.

I really liked the new look of the engineering section, it was nice to see they ditched the traditional engineering format as it was looking a bit dated, even in the most up to date films.

Gdavis101
May 12th, 2009, 12:42
There are plenty of Trekkies (myself included) who absolutely loved the new film, however the media is out to portray some grandiose "taking over" of the Trek franchise by the general populace now that it is "accessible" and they are hunting high and low for the worst geek stereotypes imaginable with the most vitriolic sentiments about the new film to make their point at the moment.

What is sad is that the Trek that most of us grew up with doesn't work anymore, the life lessons don't matter and questions of morality are nothing more than a subplot anymore.

I have always considered myself a Trekkie and I have liked every series with the exception of DS9 and when they canceled Enterprise that was the beginning of the end for Trek as most of us knew it.

Frankly, I never thought there would be another movie and I was glad to see the new one made. Sure, it probably does have its issues and it is not traditional, but in reality who cares! It is Star Trek. I am still trying to wrap my head around Star Wars Ep 1,2,3 but that is another discussion for another day and in reality it also brought Star Wars back.

Yup, I am a geek!

Odie
May 12th, 2009, 13:25
I saw it yesterday and liked it. Star Trek has a rich history and I'm one of those folks that believe that the historical ground and events that came before should be reflected in a new film/series and maintain the characters as they were originally set-up.

As I sat there watching, I was a bit confused as to how the events were unfolding, trying to make connections with ties to the original series. However, midway through the film, it dawned on me (BINK - light bulb coming on! :pop4:) exactly how they were structuring the film.

I walked out of the film, marveling at how clever they had constructed it in order to keep the heart of the characters but not be held to a path that was laid down by the original series. Thus, they can bring in a new generation of "fans" that can pick up the characters in this film without having past knowledge of the....well, past.

Now, being a ST fan since it first debuted, there's only one thing I didn't like....The Enterprise.

Where was this Enterprise in 1969 !! I remarked to my son that this Enterprise design makes the original '69 model look so out-dated and me feel so old ! High marks to the design team as the external design of the Enterprise came over well on the big screen. Very impressive! We've come a long way since the late 60's in terms of how a set looks and is designed.

The cast was good and seemed to take on the roles and keep the characters true-to-form and still add some things of their own. It will interesting to see how it develops in future films.

Two thumbs-up on this ST outing for an enjoyable summer film with something for everyone, old fans and new.

Lionheart
May 12th, 2009, 13:33
Every time they went to Warp from a stand still just made me salivate.....

Their engines would start glowing, brighter, brighter, then BANG! gone... Very similar to Galactica's light jumps, but still a bit of Star Trek also, (sort of half and half). I loved it.

Bill

Eoraptor1
May 12th, 2009, 18:30

Chris H, I may have just forgiven you for persecuting hardworking ninja.

Now that enough of you have seen the movie, WHY DID KIRK HAVE TO CRASH THAT CLASSIC CAR?!!! ARRGHHHH!!! Incidentally, my father crashed a 57 Chevy AND a 68 Mustang, so he may be a worse perpetrator than James Tiberius.

JAMES

Lionheart
May 12th, 2009, 19:42
Chris H, I may have just forgiven you for persecuting hardworking ninja.

Now that enough of you have seen the movie, WHY DID KIRK HAVE TO CRASH THAT CLASSIC CAR?!!! ARRGHHHH!!! Incidentally, my father crashed a 57 Chevy AND a 68 Mustang, so he may be a worse perpetrator than James Tiberius.

JAMES

I can only guess he was really mad at his step dad and was a total rebel, mad at his life, like everything had gone wrong and wasnt as it should be.

Piglet
May 12th, 2009, 20:13
Another thing. That abyss in the middle of Iowa. Where did that come from? Overhyper mining, I suppose?
Or FSX terrain glitch? Ooooh... any scenry gurus here?

Lionheart
May 12th, 2009, 21:06
lololol....

Polygon terrain mesh glitch

Dirtman
May 13th, 2009, 08:20
Just saw the flick ... in a word: WOW! Better than I had expected!

I don't care what any "critic" says .... I totally enjoyed it from start to finish. If any movie seems too short, then to me it was a good one. (holds my interest & attention)

I've been a Trek fan since watching the original series during the late 60's. Have enjoyed all the TV series except "Deep Soap Opera 9". All the movies too except the 1st (waited patiently for 11 years for it but thought it long & boring)

I found this new movie fascinating & really enjoyed learning of how they met each other. The make-up was great as most characters strongly resemble their original series counterparts for added continuity.

Tons of action plus humour at the right times .... like: "Mr Sulu, is the parking brake on?" :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Ya don't need to be a Trek fan to appreciate this film .... but I guess it helps. Don't try & pick holes in it; just immerse yourself in the storyline & enjoy the movie for what it is.

Now I find myself anxiously awaiting a sequel. This new cast seems to have what it takes to faithfully carry on the tradition ..... I think Gene Roddenberry would be pleased if he were still alive.

FlyTexas
May 13th, 2009, 15:48
Caught the movie at a matinee today. ($5.00 :wiggle:) While I am by no means a huge Star Trek fan, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It was very entertaining to see how the crew of the Enterprise became the crew that we saw in the 60's TV show. Plenty of action, but the movie didn't rely heavily on it to keep your attention. Nice! All in all a very good film. :medals:

Brian

Lionheart
May 13th, 2009, 16:50
I loved how Bones got Kirk onboard Enterprise. Hilarious...

harleyman
May 13th, 2009, 20:26
Saw it last Saturday...

Brilliant....

Sound was awsome...Expecially warp speed..

Lionheart
May 13th, 2009, 21:09
Here's an iPhone game based on the movie;

http://www.eamobile.com/Web/iphone-games/star-trek

Quixoticish
May 14th, 2009, 00:15
Have enjoyed all the TV series except "Deep Soap Opera 9"

That was the best series by a huge margin! :bump:

I do have to say that Enterprise was the real low point of the franchise for me, the Trekkie in me just couldn't reconcile all of the canon violations, and I must admit this was one thing that worried me about the film. However this new movie came along and demonstrated how well you can do a prequel without completely messing up continuity and still making things enjoyable.

We also need to bear in mind that this is the first of what will no doubt at least turn into a trilogy (and hopefully more). A lot of the new film was taken up establishing things and laying the foundations for the new films, I can only imagine the second film being even better than the first. Let's hope we get to see some Klingons on the warpath.

Quixoticish
May 14th, 2009, 00:43

Quoting myself here but I've just seen an excellent example of this:

http://blogs.reuters.com/fanfare/2009/05/12/star-trek-the-actors-strike-back/

The comment made by James Heaney was clearly sarcastic if you actually take the time to read the blog properly, but Reuters have posted it completely out of context as another sly dig at the core Trek fans. The mainstream media is trawling the web looking for anything that they can use to portray Trekkies/Trekkers in a bad light.

Eoraptor1
May 14th, 2009, 09:51
SOH,

If you you haven't been to the Official Site since the movie opened, there's been a lot of very cool additions. Go HERE: www.startrekmovie.com (http://www.startrekmovie.com)

JAMES

Lionheart
May 14th, 2009, 11:50
SOH,

If you you haven't been to the Official Site since the movie opened, there's been a lot of very cool additions. Go HERE: www.startrekmovie.com (http://www.startrekmovie.com)

JAMES

Thanks James,

The 3D Pandorama's are awesome. One of the control room. Wallpaper, icons, etc. Very nice...

Bill

aeronca1
May 14th, 2009, 12:02
I thought it was a very good movie with one exception, Chekov.... No, NO NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Eoraptor1
May 14th, 2009, 15:09
Thanks James,

The 3D Pandorama's are awesome. One of the control room. Wallpaper, icons, etc. Very nice...

Bill

Not to hijack my own thread here, but what do you think of Aerial, Lionheart? I have a friend who listens to it every night before he goes to bed.

JAMES

exc141ac
May 15th, 2009, 07:27
I thought the review that said: "It's not your Father's (aside: me) Star Trek" was very appropriate.

I loved it -- even as an old Trekkie.

Way better than the "first" Star Trek movie --
which I thought sucked!

Lionheart
May 15th, 2009, 11:30
Not to hijack my own thread here, but what do you think of Aerial, Lionheart? I have a friend who listens to it every night before he goes to bed.

JAMES

If you mean Kate Bush's song, very nice music. I havent listened to the words yet. Her voice is amazing. I also liked how they looped it at her website and blended in the sounds of birds. Very nice.

In Star Trek, I thought how they portrayed Checkoff (however its spelled) was hilarious. I busted out laughing when the computer wouldnt except his command code because he couldnt say 'V' words, lolol.. A genious and at the age of 17 years old.

Bill

Eoraptor1
May 16th, 2009, 05:25
If you mean Kate Bush's song, very nice music. I havent listened to the words yet. Her voice is amazing. I also liked how they looped it at her website and blended in the sounds of birds. Very nice.

In Star Trek, I thought how they portrayed Checkoff (however its spelled) was hilarious. I busted out laughing when the computer wouldnt except his command code because he couldnt say 'V' words, lolol.. A genious and at the age of 17 years old.

Bill

I was talking about Aerial the two-CD set. (The only Kate Bush CDs I have are Aerial and Hounds of Love but I had roommates who were great fans.) My friend claims to listen o it every night before he goes to bed; gives him sweet dreams...

Back to topic: I finally got to see the Caprica DVD. Everyone on this forum knows by now that I am a great BSG fan, and Caprica had a lot of very interesting ideas in it, but at the same time it was obvious to me why Star Trek is making so much money. Put simply, it presents an optimistic view of the future, even in the face of extinction-level events. (I won't say anymore about specifics outof resepct for SOH members who haven't seen the movie yet.) Those of you who are actually fans of science-fiction know that dsytopian portraits of the future are nothing new; they go back at least as far as H.G. Wells, but I submit that the dystopian "dark future" sub-genre has been the dominant wing of SF at least since The Matrix and probably earlier. Even in something like the Terminator there's this thread of inevitability about our self-destruction; I would also argue that it's strongly anti-inquiry, which is strangely very common in SF. Mysticism and sword-fighting are much more common than the idea that it is more dangerous to be ignorant than to practice rational inquiry, and ask forensic questions about your surroundings.

I'm rambling now. Discuss amongst yourselves.

JAMES

Lionheart
May 16th, 2009, 19:59
I hope they come out with some decent models like Lucas does. I had seen one of the Enterprise at Walmart, (pre-assembled, with sound effects buttons) and it looked crude. It would be nice to have some cool things from this movie for the bookcase. (like those troop ships. Very cool looking craft. Shuttles?).

Bill

PS: Yep, I have the Aerial CD's. Great music. KB is awesome!

Eoraptor1
May 17th, 2009, 11:46
I hope they come out with some decent models like Lucas does. I had seen one of the Enterprise at Walmart, (pre-assembled, with sound effects buttons) and it looked crude. It would be nice to have some cool things from this movie for the bookcase. (like those troop ships. Very cool looking craft. Shuttles?).

Bill

PS: Yep, I have the Aerial CD's. Great music. KB is awesome!

The only high detail model of the new Enterprise that I know of is at the Offical Star Trek site online store HERE: http://store.startrek.com/product/show/54493 I'm sure there'll be more by and by. I don't know if this is the same one you saw in Wal-Mart.

JAMES

DennyA
May 17th, 2009, 14:37
I've seen it three times so far, and so has my kid. Grooming the next generation. :)

That is the Playmates toy Enterprise. I got it, er, for my kid, yeah, and it's actually pretty good.

GT182, you should really see it at the theater. It deserves the big screen.

b52bob
May 18th, 2009, 15:24
Now, there are rampant rumors that they are filming Weber's Honor Harrington books. I'm really looking forward to that if it's true.

loved the Star Trek movie....from an origional trekkie!

n4gix
May 18th, 2009, 15:37
Now, there are rampant rumors that they are filming Weber's Honor Harrington books. I'm really looking forward to that if it's true.

loved the Star Trek movie....from an origional trekkie!

Having read every bit of "Honorverse" ever written multiple times, I'd give a lot to see that made into a series of movies! :ernae:

crashaz
May 18th, 2009, 18:59
Really freaked me out... the guy they got doing McCoy! Man he has all the mannerisms and has Bones down pat!

Great movie!

Eoraptor1
May 19th, 2009, 16:34
Really freaked me out... the guy they got doing McCoy! Man he has all the mannerisms and has Bones down pat!

Great movie!

That's Karl Urban. He played Eomer in Lord of the Rings, and a Russian assassin in The Bourne Supremacy.

JAMES

simkid22
May 19th, 2009, 17:00
By its self its a great movie but it in the history of the franchise, they have never made and alternate reality or shadow universe the primary focus, which may draw in more fans but completely undermines the past 40 years of established Star Trek canon.

Several things that I think were inexcusable were raising shields while in warp, never been able to do that before. Transporters have always had range, otherwise why would you need ships if you could teleport from Iowa to Starfleet Academy in San Fransisco or from Earth to Vulcan. Porthos, Admiral Archer's beloved beagle, would have to have been around 130 years old, not to mention Archer would have been over 160 to get mad at Scotty.

The CG and the cinematography was great, although I wish some of the action shots were wider as I sometimes got lost in the motion. The casting was great. The banter between Kirk, Bones and Spock brought back good memories of the original series and the motion picture chemestry.

My biggest gripe about the movie was the Bussard Collectors weren't red. That made me sad.

Over all i did like it but it frustrates me that they went this way.

Dexdoggy
May 19th, 2009, 17:38
Well, Hollywood digging up some past glory again to sell at the box office...
Except - this was perfect! Trek fan for years, but this is my favourite movie of the lot! I know the whole "re-boot" think is a pain, but this still was an awesome fun ride! :applause::applause::applause: Looking forward to the new future!

crashaz
May 19th, 2009, 17:41
They did leave open a ton of possibilities!

Eoraptor1
May 19th, 2009, 18:28
They did leave open a ton of possibilities!

Hijacking my own thread again. crashaz, what's a good video card to run your Pearl habor add-ons without it turning into a slide show? What would be your min. recommended requirements?

Live long and prosper,

JAMES

crashaz
May 19th, 2009, 18:37
PHP version 1?

Or have you downloaded the PHP v2 Oahu and awaiting the new scenery.

PHP v1 is just old..... PHP v2... any of the last 1 year old mid-range cards should work find bud. 512 is fine.. but 1 GB better. :^)

Eoraptor1
May 22nd, 2009, 05:17
PHP version 1?

Or have you downloaded the PHP v2 Oahu and awaiting the new scenery.

PHP v1 is just old..... PHP v2... any of the last 1 year old mid-range cards should work find bud. 512 is fine.. but 1 GB better. :^)

Thanks for answering, crashaz. I'm running a 256 GeForce right now, which is fine for most things, but doesn't have it for complex scenery. Hopefully I'll have money for an upgrade this summer.

JAMES

Quixoticish
May 22nd, 2009, 06:52
By its self its a great movie but it in the history of the franchise, they have never made and alternate reality or shadow universe the primary focus, which may draw in more fans but completely undermines the past 40 years of established Star Trek canon.

Several things that I think were inexcusable were raising shields while in warp, never been able to do that before. Transporters have always had range, otherwise why would you need ships if you could teleport from Iowa to Starfleet Academy in San Fransisco or from Earth to Vulcan. Porthos, Admiral Archer's beloved beagle, would have to have been around 130 years old, not to mention Archer would have been over 160 to get mad at Scotty.

The CG and the cinematography was great, although I wish some of the action shots were wider as I sometimes got lost in the motion. The casting was great. The banter between Kirk, Bones and Spock brought back good memories of the original series and the motion picture chemestry.

My biggest gripe about the movie was the Bussard Collectors weren't red. That made me sad.

Over all i did like it but it frustrates me that they went this way.

Regarding shields being raised whilst warping, to be honest this didn't bother me. Trek has changed how shields are represented on multiple occasions and more recently in DS9 and with some of the TNG movies we saw "conformal" shields rather than the static "bubble" type we used to have. And although it's stated that you can't use shields at warp they do many times, for instance in "Q Who" and also in Nemesis and the Voyager episode "Message In A Bottle" (where, incidentally they also use phasers at warp speed, something that they've always said was impossible).

Porthos was just a daft little nod to fans. Humans live a lot longer in the future for starters and Archer could always keep cloning his Beagle, or he could always name is dog Porthos.

Also many ships don't have red bussard collectors, the Excelsior class ships for one (and the modified versions like the Enterprise-B) and also the Enterprise refit and A model from the original films and other ships that share the same nacelle design like the Miranda class.

Lionus
May 24th, 2009, 02:42
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Star_Trek_2009_USS_Enterprise;99468

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/8/files2/99468_1.jpg

Yes, that's in-game shot. :jawdrop:

Good reason to buy Bridge Commander and mod it beyond recognition. :bump:

It was fun to pit The Borg against BC304 Odyssey from Stargate Atlantis. Let's just say that the end was not pretty.:icon_lol: Oh yeah, Imperial Star Destroyers kick ass as long as their turbolasers can keep tracking the enemy vessels.

Panther_99FS
May 24th, 2009, 07:52
All,
I still haven't seen the movie yet but judging by what some of the folks at work are saying about it, the prequel comic does answer some questions..:kilroy:

(Which is I'm now strongly thinking about getting the Terminator prequel comic) :engel016: