PDA

View Full Version : Just watched a classic from 1988

OBIO
October 15th, 2008, 02:28
Not a movie that many will regard as a classic...but it truly is a classic to me. Big. Directed by Penny Marshall. Starring Tom Hanks, Elizabeth Perkins, Robert Loggia. No violence (other than the raquet ball court wresting match and the unfilmed punch in the nose), no nudity, no over-the-top special effects. Just great writing, great acting and great film making.

I saw this film the year it came out and was blown away by it. Have seen it a few times since then. I have not watched it in nearly a decade....but since I was having a sleepless night, and since I had it recorded on the DVR, figured I'd stretch out on the couch with the dogs comfortably laying across my chest and belly (good thing they aren't Mastiffs) and watch it again.

Was still totally blown away by the movie. Tom Hanks nailed the innocence, the wonder and the truthfulness of a young boy in a grown body. Elizabeth Perkins...wow! From a coniving career oriented woman who would do what ever she needed to do to make it to the top to finding the true her.

The scene with Tom and Robert Loggia doing Chop Sticks on the huge keyboard in the floor of the toy store...one of the greatest scenes ever shot that did not involve explosions, monsters or cars. And the scene with Tom and Elizabeth, standing in the hallway and she takes her blouse off...the way her bra strap slid down her shoulder...that was the sexiest scene from 1988...not graphic, not sleezy...just totally sexy in its simplicity and grace. Combine that with the way Tom captured the total enthrallment of a man seeing the body of his new lover for the first time/of a boy seeing his first exposed breast.

I highly recommend sitting down with a big mug of hot chocolate some cold winter afternoon and watching this movie while wearing thick socks and snuggled under a thick soft blanket.

OBIO

Rami
October 15th, 2008, 02:55
Are you kidding? I LOVE that movie, especially the keyboard scene at FAO Schwartz. :d

And yeah....she goes to turn the light off, he turns it right back on.

I'm also very fond of a movie that was not a big commercial hit....'Turner & Hooch' That movie busts me up every time. :costumes:

TomSteber
October 15th, 2008, 03:09
Hot chocolate, thick socks, warm blanket, I'll never make it through the movie awake! :costumes:

chinookmark
October 15th, 2008, 03:10
"You can sleep over, but I get to be on top!"

cheezyflier
October 15th, 2008, 07:36
great film no question. my favorite hanks film is "joe vs. the volcano" he sure has done some great stuff, han't he?

Lionheart
October 15th, 2008, 09:43
You Have Mail.

:d

He was also in a movie about being a Canadian Pilot stationed in Israel in WWII. A very good, well done movie. A more serious side of Tom.

Bill