PDA

View Full Version : B-17F Easy To Repaint

jackedwardmorris95
May 7th, 2009, 07:20
Does, anyone know of a B-17F that comes with textures that show up after being edited with paint, only requirement is it has to have a functioning bomb bay, I edited the alpha B-17F (Spent 2 hours) Only to find out that the textures didn't show up after, I'm adding custom, panel and sound, so those are not an Issue,

Jack

Jaxon
May 7th, 2009, 07:42
You need to convert the touched textures back into a readable/usable format, like for example DXT3

Get the DXT programm made by Martin Wright here:

http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm

jackedwardmorris95
May 7th, 2009, 07:56
You need to convert the touched textures back into a readable/usable format, like for example DXT3

Get the DXT programm made by Martin Wright here:

http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm

They are useable, I was able to edit them, but they didn't show up in CFS2,

Jack

EMatheson
May 7th, 2009, 08:01
They are useable, I was able to edit them, but they didn't show up in CFS2,

Jack
No, they are not. Most Graphics programs can read uncompressed 32-bit texture files without a problem. However, the overwhelming majority can only save in 24-bit format.
CFS2 requires 32-bit formats.
Which means that you can edit to your hearts content in MSPaint or some other graphics program, but in order for your work to show up in sim, you MUST convert your files to a 32-bit format using DXTBmp...

bismarck13
May 7th, 2009, 08:52
I use Paint Shop Pro to edit textures. If you save it as a .bmp it does not show up because it is 24-bit. So I make the texture as a .jpg, then save it as a .gif then open the .gif in MS paint and save it as a 256-color .bmp. It is a pain but it works . . . .

You can also convert the textures to 32-bit using FSDS which also works. I cannot use Martin Wrights DXTBMP because I run Vista as an OS. If DXTBMP is installed FSDS craps out, so I need one more than the other.

:isadizzy:

merlin2
May 7th, 2009, 09:42
I really recommend this free program. It imports graphics files, then you can edit with layers etc. lik ephotoshop, then you can export directly 32 bit bmps.

seems to work fine.

merlin2

JapLance
May 7th, 2009, 12:31
I use Paint Shop Pro to edit textures. If you save it as a .bmp it does not show up because it is 24-bit. So I make the texture as a .jpg, then save it as a .gif then open the .gif in MS paint and save it as a 256-color .bmp. It is a pain but it works . . . .

Bismarck, which version of PSP are you using? I have an old PSP7 and it can save 256-colour bmp's straight away, without all those extra steps. Also, every time you save as a .jpg you lose some quality, so it's not recommended.

bismarck13
May 7th, 2009, 13:20
I have PSP 4 and 6 . . . .

Good thing is that I am a model builder and not a painter, so it doesn't matter too much, provided I use an existing skin or find someone to paint my aircraft. And now that I think of it, I have a couple of aircraft that need paint jobs . . . .

:applause::applause::applause:

oldwheat
May 7th, 2009, 13:53
Perhaps the DXTbmp glitch explains the crap that FSDS is giving me! I never had a problem before Ihad my PC rebuilt but now nothing works right & I do have a lot of MW's stuff installed. Is the problem just with DXTbmp or with other MW DLL's as well.. I'm off to check it out...

bismarck13
May 7th, 2009, 14:15
OW-

I am pretty positive it is the .dll files that do it. If you load them FSDS won't display the model any more . . .

:pop4:

I also have to run "system restore" to get it working again . . .

oldwheat
May 7th, 2009, 18:52
Sounds a lot like my problem; however, all my attempts @ 'system restore' fail.. I also get this pop-up (attachment check ;))...

Hmmm, I wonder if re-installing FSDS would do any good?

bismarck13
May 7th, 2009, 19:00
That is the same message I get. I think if system restore doesn't work you have to reload the whole OS, but I could be wrong . . .