PDA

View Full Version : I Gotz a Q!

Wulf190
May 6th, 2009, 17:35
Since we have a fair number of tech heads, I'd like your opinion.

A couple of months ago I gave my XP install disk to a friend so he could get in to his PC in safe mode to try to either repair it or grab some files on the HDD. He ended up just buying a new 'puter.

Well I'm still waiting for my disk back from him. My wondering is would it be a good idea to get a new XP pro SP3 disk from newegg, or just wait it out?

I'm leaning to getting a new copy of XP because I'm sure Win-7 is going to have its own fair share of fitz and start out of the gate, and if I do get my XP pro sp2 install disk back, I'll have to call India to activate it. I once reformatted twice in a month which negated my use of their auto-verfiy function over the internet. Besides, getting a XP SP3 copy would cut down on the number of patches I'd need to grab.

I haven't reformatted my system since I built it roughly a year ago, and I don't like even going this long with out a fresh wipe, but what duz you guys tink?

Henry
May 6th, 2009, 17:45
depends on the cash situation
i have xp pre sp1
a pain to reload but its paid for
i guess it would be nice to have xp sp3 all on 1 disk
would i buy a new version
probably not
been playing with win7
thats pretty good
so far
H

harleyman
May 6th, 2009, 20:22

I got both today....All you do is burn them with an iso burner to a DVD..

They are good to June or July of 2010...

Then you get a discounted hard version at that point....I think...

Just regester and then you get an e mail conf .That link takes you back to the DLs... https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/securedownloads/default.aspx?pv=36%3a350

Cactuskid
May 6th, 2009, 20:43
I went with XP/SP3 on my last build, and I'm glad I did! Everything runs smooth and no Vista headaches! I'll hold off on Windows 7 until I hear more feedback. After listening to all the complaints after Vista came out, I'm leery about any new OS until they get the bugs worked out...

harleyman
May 6th, 2009, 20:52
YUP...I have XP SP 3 also on my gaming rig too and love it..

I am building another rig for my shop and might investigate Windows 7 on that rig..I did buy Vista for it, but might just keep it around as a spare....

Wulf190
May 7th, 2009, 14:14
I think I'm going to grab a copy of XPpro SP3. I am looking forward to Win7, but I'm leary when it comes to 1.0 software. (look was M$ did with Windows 6.0 'Vista')

harleyman
May 7th, 2009, 14:25
YUP...Heard that..I chickned out to and put vista 64 on my new shop rig...LOL

Bjoern
May 8th, 2009, 03:40
From what I've heard, the W7 beta was already miles better than Vista.

harleyman
May 8th, 2009, 05:00
From what I've heard, the W7 beta was already miles better than Vista.

I heard that too... I still might add Win 7 to my lettle shop rig with a dual boot just to play with it ....But me a big chicken at times too...LOL

Bjoern
May 9th, 2009, 08:15
I heard that too... I still might add Win 7 to my lettle shop rig with a dual boot just to play with it ....But me a big chicken at times too...LOL

You could as well try to setup a virtual machine running Windows 7. It's even safer than dual-boot.

harleyman
May 9th, 2009, 08:46
You could as well try to setup a virtual machine running Windows 7. It's even safer than dual-boot.

Now thats a thought....If I knew how...LOL :isadizzy:

Bjoern
May 9th, 2009, 10:13
Now thats a thought....If I knew how...LOL :isadizzy:

Here's the tool:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

The only tutorial I know of is in german and I'm way too lazy to write novels on how to get a virtual PC up and running, so you're on your own.

But as usually, Google is your friend. ;)

harleyman
May 9th, 2009, 10:23
Here's the tool:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

The only tutorial I know of is in german and I'm way too lazy to write novels on how to get a virtual PC up and running, so you're on your own.

But as usually, Google is your friend. ;)

Got it...Thanks...Some Day....LOL

Bjoern
May 10th, 2009, 10:03
Got it...Thanks...Some Day....LOL

It's really not that hard and you can't break your Windows installation, so I'd say take the "trial and error" path! ;) :d