PDA

View Full Version : Fs9 stops loading at 81% then error message

Fnerg
May 6th, 2009, 10:07
This morning I was using the sim to learn ILS. I closed it, went out, came back, opened it up, and now it won't open at all.

Has anyone experienced at this sudden phenomena? How did you correct it?
Absolutely nothing has been added or changed since this morning when I was flying around all happy and go lucky....

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lionheart
May 6th, 2009, 11:55
Hey Doug,

Man, that is odd.

You could try the old 'hide the FS config file', let FS build a new one, and see what happens.

Bill

Motormouse
May 6th, 2009, 12:25
try going into your documents/flight simulator files folder
and deleting the files Previous flight.FLT and Previous flight.WX and see wot happens.
As i said in an earlier post,fs copies all active gauges etc on shutdown,
and these are re-loaded ready for use next time fs starts, sometimes though access to the gauges are restricted/locked by windows (don't know by what,it just happens,sort of like a " this file is already in use and cannot be accessed" scenario),so fs when restarted can't access the gauges its' copied.

hope this helps

ttfn

Pete

modelr
May 6th, 2009, 16:32
Have you tried a reboot? I've had to do three or four reboots before it cleared up. And it usually required, shutdown/restart, as opposed to just "restart". Did this for about a week back a couple months ago. Been fine since. Don't know what happened.

dhazelgrove
May 6th, 2009, 18:20
Sounds to me like you may have some corrupted traffic files.
Try moving the traffic slider to zero and see if FS9 loads. If so, then you have the fun task of trying to find out which is responsible. :icon29:

Dave

Fnerg
May 8th, 2009, 08:24
Reinstall...... :angryfir:

Lionheart
May 8th, 2009, 10:46
Airports can cause this. Try booting up at a different airport. You might have a double airport file in the area which will cause this, even by 'looking' in that general area, causing the computer to completely fall over.

And try removing your Traffic Bagels and boot it up. (Drag the Bagels out (BGL files) and try a bootup of the sim).

Also, try taking out the FSConfig file (keep a copy) and see if that helps.

Fnerg
May 8th, 2009, 13:12
Thanks guys, I tried all your suggestions, and others. Who knows, I may have even added to the problem by doing all these sudden experiments trying to find the solution. I think FS9 just doesn't like to be messed with. Period. Here we are, we're all trying to pick this thing apart, trying to figure out how it can look better. In my honest opinion, one can only prod so far before it gives up, and stops loading. This tragedy happens so often, I wish I had a dime for every sad story I read about "a guy who has to reinstall after years of accumulating fun stuff." I'd be a wealthy man. Then I would find a cure for this problem.
Just wondering, now that FS is not being continued, I'd hope that some blessed soul would step forward with enough code information for a maintenance program for FS that would allow us to fix these bugs and mishaps. Forget addons and improvements for a while, lets fix the code errors or whatever it is that keeps killing our precious little personal fun time.. I'm upset and this is my 2 cents. Buzz killed.

Lionheart
May 8th, 2009, 13:35
Hey Fnerg,

Here is a fast track method that I have for fixing (reinstalling) FS9.

Rename FS folder to something like Backup FS2004
Run and install new FS2004 installation.
Get FS9-SP1 update pack, install
Drag and drop Aircraft, gauges, Addon Scenery, and Modules folders into your new FS9 folder.

Then pick through and import all of the rest of the bits you have in your other sim folder.

You may wish to continuously boot up FS9 (new version) as you go to insure you havent imported the bug back into your new installation.

This should go quite fast. Its how one creates a copy for turning into Golden Wings and Silver Wings. (Copying and pasting the entire sim takes an hour or more, where if you run the installer, renaming FS2004, takes far less time).

Bill

JSkorna
May 9th, 2009, 12:26
Doug,

It is not the base FS code that is the problem, but the "every single thing" we add to it : program, file, plane, AFCAD, AI Traffic file, texture, sound, landclass, mesh, driver. and utility that we add to FS that can cause this.

Run a stock FS04 everyday for 5 years and I would bet you that this would never happen. But when we start adding things that duplicate or conflict, bad things start to happen. The hard part is searching for the conflicts. That is why sometimes it is best to start from scratch.

WarHorse47
May 9th, 2009, 13:47
I was watching the loading screen this morning and concluded that Traffic starts to load around 81%.

Have you added any new AI traffic files? It seems that its trying to load a specific *.bgl file but is encountering some kind of problem.

Do a search of your complete FS9 directory of all *.bgl files, then sort by date. It might give you an idea of anything that has changed or been added.

If anything is suspect, then remove it to another direcory outside of FS9 and see if FS9 runs without problems.

--WH

PilatusTurbo
May 9th, 2009, 15:28
The recovery method that you put down, Bill, is one I'll not forget. That's a nice idea to save it and hold onto everything. Since I'm currently thinking about updating to Vista due to the no-backwards-compatibility issue coming up.

Hope you get things up and running, Fnerg. :ernae:

Agung
May 9th, 2009, 20:59
Here is a fast track method that I have for fixing (reinstalling) FS9.

Rename FS folder to something like Backup FS2004
Run and install new FS2004 installation.
Get FS9-SP1 update pack, install
Drag and drop Aircraft, gauges, Addon Scenery, and Modules folders into your new FS9 folder.

May I ask how this procedure would affect the registry? Will it overwrite current registry entries or double them up? As is obvious, I know nothing about how the registry functions :blind:

Secondly, what about my payware add-ons, surely dragging and dropping them into my new FS9 folder won't do - I'm hoping I am wrong.

Thanks in advance :guinness:

TARPSBird
May 9th, 2009, 21:33
I can't address whatever registry voo-doo is involved with FS9, :icon_lol: but you can move your payware planes or scenery around any way you see fit. Move 'em, copy 'em, paint 'em, convert 'em to CFS2 - so long as it's for your personal use. I've never seen a payware product that had any type of encoding that limited you to one plane in one folder.

Agung
May 10th, 2009, 19:06
Well thank you. I just assumed that installing FS9 a second time on the same hard drive would have to address the registry. Some payware seems to dabble with the registry when you install it, some doesn't. Hence my train of thought: If an add-on requires to address the registry during installation, surely it needs to do so again on a second install of FS9; therefore, the dragging wouldn't work. But you are right, I should just try :wiggle:

dhazelgrove
May 11th, 2009, 07:08
The new install will overwrite the original FS9 registry entries created by the original installation - no question.
However, as your registry entries for any add-on items are already pointing at where they will be once you have moved them into the new installation there's no problem and they'll work as intended.

Dave

Agung
May 11th, 2009, 18:13
Crystal clear. You have saved me from the dreaded "...and the plot thickens" syndrome. Thank you :ernae: