PDA

View Full Version : Another bad day.

Buddha13
May 5th, 2009, 07:15
Hi all,
Just thought I would let you know that disasters strike in 3's.After the death of 2 of our cats to poisoning a couple of weeks ago. We just got the results of some tests on our Grehound Harry.Harry has been diagnosed with Osteo-sarcoma.A malignant form of bone cancer in his front left leg.Not sure just how far it has progressed,but there is little we can do except pain relief and prayer.

Buddha13

Daveroo
May 5th, 2009, 07:17
aww..sorry to hear that...been a rough road for ya lately

tigisfat
May 5th, 2009, 10:42
OMG, that's horrible.

Mick
May 5th, 2009, 10:48
Hi all,
Just thought I would let you know that disasters strike in 3's.After the death of 2 of our cats to poisoning a couple of weeks ago. We just got the results of some tests on our Grehound Harry.Harry has been diagnosed with Osteo-sarcoma.A malignant form of bone cancer in his front left leg.Not sure just how far it has progressed,but there is little we can do except pain relief and prayer.

Buddha13

You have my sincere condolences on the loss of your cats. I can't imagine the grief you must feel to have lost them that way!

You might be able to save your dog. Is it too late to amputate the leg? If you're not sure, a consult with a veterinary oncologist could help determine the answer. Dogs, like pretty much all quadrupeds, do fine on three legs.

My heart goes out to you!

Lionheart
May 5th, 2009, 11:20
Hey Buddha,

Goodness.. Not a good year for your little family members. I hope it turns around.

Greyhounds are amazing dogs. A very noble looking animal.

Bill

mike_cyul
May 5th, 2009, 11:38
Man, you are not having a good time lately. I hope everything goes as well as it possibly can, and will hope for the best.

Mike

cheezyflier
May 5th, 2009, 12:20
man, i feel for you. i wish i had some useful thing to say, but i don't.
i'm sorry

OBIO
May 5th, 2009, 13:08
Buddha

Oy, another dark cloud on you and yours. I am sorry to hear that you Greyhound has bone cancer. I hope that the cancer has not spread and that an amputation can save Harry's life. Fear not, dogs adjust very well after having a leg amputated...I have seen many three legged dogs (and a couple three legged cats) who go along nearly as well as they did when they had all four legs.

OBIO

Buddha13
May 6th, 2009, 04:49
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies.I am afraid that amputation is not an available option.It is a very agressive form of tumour, and they think it has already spread.
We are taking it day at a time at the moment.There is only one possible outcome and that will be decided when we think Harry is not enjoying his life anymore. Till then we will continue to give him the love he deserves.
It is sad in the fact that he was a rescued dog who spent over 3 years being semi starved and locked in a shed with another greyhound before being rescued last August.We got him in September and had hoped that he was going to now have a long and happy life.Sadley that is not going to be the case.
I believe in miracles and can but hope that one happens.
I ask all of you in the UK who are thinking of getting a recued dog,Think about a greyhound.They are loving and effectionate.Do not need a lot of exercise(therefore great if you are working).And perhaps the most abused of all dogs by there human masters.It is believed that over 10,000 greyhounds are killed both by legal and illegal means every year once they are considered to be surplus to requirements.The lucky ones are those rescued by the various greyhound charities.

Buddha13.

cheezyflier
May 6th, 2009, 06:52
.And perhaps the most abused of all dogs by there human masters.

Buddha13.

i dunno, beagles are used in research for a whole lot of different things. that breed has it pretty tough too. i used to work in a dupont lab where they used them. either way, not good.

Buddha13
May 8th, 2009, 07:42
Hi Cheezyflier,
Any animal used in testing has a pretty poor life.But atleast they do not have thier ears cut when being dumped(Greyhounds used in the UK for racing have tattoos in their ears for identifacation).Or breeze blocks tied round their necks and then thrown in canals.Or taken behind the back of a shed and beaten to death with an iron bar.
This is the fate of many of the disposed of greyhounds in the UK.
Take read of this,
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article688422.ece
or this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-396015/The-killing-fieldsof-10-000-greyhounds-old-race.html
This is just on man.There are many more.

Buddha13

Odie
May 8th, 2009, 08:32
Sorry to hear this, Buddha.....sad news indeed. My heart goes out to you and your family.

OBIO
May 8th, 2009, 08:54
Greyhounds are also cruely treated here in the US as well. Bred for racing, those that don't cut the mustard to be used as a racer or have come to the end of their racing careers are deemed "disposable" and are either cruely killed or abandoned. Greyhounds are such amazingly sweet and gentle dogs, it is a shame that they are not more highly regarded by dog lovers.

Buddha,

I hope that the time remaining for Harry is good...I am sure that you and your wife will give him the love and care that he needs...just as I am sure that the time he has been a part of your family has been the best times of his life. My heart goes out to both of you, and Harry as well.

Man, these threads always make me cry.

OBIO

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2009, 10:44
Buddha,

So, so sorry to hear the sad news about your cats and your dog. The pain truly is difficult to bear, I know.

I sure hope and pray for some good news to come your way......

Pete

Chacha
May 9th, 2009, 06:21
Hey Buddha,

Sorry to hear the sad news....

Someone shared me this: (Maybe you heard this before!) I will relay it on my version cause I forgotten the original version of this.... but the thought is still the same....

There was an angel (lets call him angel #1) in training, and the other angel (angel #2) was training him and showing him around: At first they went to a huge mansion where a not so nice family lives, they saw a hole on a wall, the angel #2 patched the wall.... mission accomplished! Then they went to a farm where a good family lives, there were cows and animals and the family there not really rich, Angel #2 strike one of the cows with sickness and eventually passed away.... Angel #1 to his surprised asked angel #2 why did he do that, shouldnt they be helping the good family instead of letting the poor animal die?
Angel #2 reponded saying: When we went to the mansion, we saw the wall with a hole, behind the wall are treasures, I patched the wall so the family that lived there won't see it (they are not so nice family). And when we went to the farm, I saw DEATH coming their way, instead of letting death strike the farmer's family, I let death strike the cow...

I hope this will inspire you and others, even though we have different beliefs....

Eli :engel016: