PDA

View Full Version : Editors required for an upcoming site

vstudios
May 5th, 2009, 03:34
Hi Guys,

Ive been developing a site now for over 18 months and its final release date is now closing in.

I thought I'd post here as a lot of the people at SOH are interactive with the forums amongst other things.

The site I'm working on is indeed to support the flight sim community whether it be FSX to IL2 Sturmovik, from files to news items, the list goes on.

Basically, we're looking for a few editors that have a passion for flight simulation from combat simulators to FSX.

If you think you could spare maybe 30 mins a week posting of news items, I'd like to hear from you. In return you will be eligible to ALL our products from Realflight Simulations for free.

If this indeed something you would like to participate in, you can either PM me on the forums or send me an email to dean@realfight.co.uk

gajit
May 5th, 2009, 04:52
How will that site differ from say this one? Is it going to be just for developers?

vstudios
May 5th, 2009, 05:15
Absolutley not, the site will be for simming fans that upload and also download files, reviews, news articles ETC.

The site will allow a signed up user to have their own little hub within the site, IE Downloads, Journal, PM system a friends network, photo albums, community groups the list goes on.

IanP
May 5th, 2009, 10:52
Sorry, but that kind of sounds like the other 3,000 or so FS sites out there trying to do the same thing.

While I understand why people want their own sites, the question has to be asked - do you really want to fragment this hobby even further than it already is?

vstudios
May 5th, 2009, 11:12
the contrary, the old site that the new system will replace has been going for over 4 years, houses 27k members with around 3.5k files.. but it is not broken through as yet for the MSFS series

Henry
May 5th, 2009, 11:25
Its a tough job and news reports
we cannot find anyone here to do news
we just leave it to the members
then you gotta find "ijiots" like me
to be around and monitor
LOL
Good luck!
H

vstudios
May 5th, 2009, 11:30
Thats the problem, we have a bunch of people that are editors on the combat simulator side but none on the FS side of it all. Further more.. the new system is all custom written code which is indeed where it stands out the most as it all has been created with my own ideas and various features. There is a custom written forum, however the forum is populated by its members Journals (which is optional to syndicate there postings on both)

gajit
May 5th, 2009, 11:54
Sorry, but that kind of sounds like the other 3,000 or so FS sites out there trying to do the same thing.

While I understand why people want their own sites, the question has to be asked - do you really want to fragment this hobby even further than it already is?

Yep - I agree Ian.

vstudios
May 5th, 2009, 12:06
ahah ok, I guess I'll count you 2 out then on visiting the site and using its features and material from the site.

Ok seriously..

Fragment ? I can understand that if it was my intention to split the FS community.. but instead its a means of keeping it alive dont you think ? or do you mean it would be of more awkward for you to download files and read related media ?

some people dont even think about FS theyre only interested in combat titles, however.. by promoting the FS title wouldnt do any damage but enlighten others of what a great sim it is.

The FS community isnt exactly a thriving gaming genre. Without support to the flight sim community the numbers of sales would dwindle even more.. im not just talking about fs developers but other game studios like fighter combat. Without our support to keep the people interested game publishers wouldnt even think twice to releasing a flying sim.

BananaBob
May 5th, 2009, 12:20
This reminds me a lot of what happened at ScreenShotArt.com, although the idea of another site sounded good, it was the ultimate death of the site and ended up splitting the community of screenshot artists up and many good friends were lost in the process. I hope there is room for another FS site Dean ................ but, I think with the size of the community, it's better to focus on what is already going good, instead of reinventing the wheel. Just my humble opinion mate.

vstudios
May 5th, 2009, 12:26
Hi Bob Im sure you can remember IL2 skins and how many files they hosted, the site was indeed lost for good, thousands of peoples work was lost and not to be returned... people shouted, they cried.. as the saying goes its not always a good thing to keep all your eggs in one basket.

Think of it as another means of securing whats already available ;)

cheezyflier
May 5th, 2009, 12:43
if the guy who invented the post-it took the time to bleed from all the tiny little arrows that were probably shot his way, he wouldn't be a gazillionare right now, and we would all be leaving notes and messages some other way.

best of luck to you, i wish i had the ability to help out, but i don't.

BananaBob
May 5th, 2009, 12:47
if the guy who invented the post-it took the time to bleed from all the tiny little arrows that were probably shot his way, he wouldn't be a gazillionare right now, and we would all be leaving notes and messages some other way.

best of luck to you, i wish i had the ability to help out, but i don't.

Apples and oranges, one market is full of note takers while the other market is minuscule in comparison, not a very good analogy in my opinion, but I do see where you were going brother.

gajit
May 5th, 2009, 13:11
ahah ok, I guess I'll count you 2 out then on visiting the site and using its features and material from the site.

Ok seriously..

Fragment ? I can understand that if it was my intention to split the FS community.. but instead its a means of keeping it alive dont you think ? or do you mean it would be of more awkward for you to download files and read related media ?

some people dont even think about FS theyre only interested in combat titles, however.. by promoting the FS title wouldnt do any damage but enlighten others of what a great sim it is.

The FS community isnt exactly a thriving gaming genre. Without support to the flight sim community the numbers of sales would dwindle even more.. im not just talking about fs developers but other game studios like fighter combat. Without our support to keep the people interested game publishers wouldnt even think twice to releasing a flying sim.

Somehow Dean I think I might just manage never to visit your site and still enjoy all aspects of flight sim.

I sincerely wish you good luck with it.

Henry
May 5th, 2009, 13:13
OK lets not get personal here
H

IanP
May 5th, 2009, 13:17
You know what I think. I think that FS users are a finite resource already stretched across a myriad of forums, download sites and "resources", each of which claims to be "the best".

You clearly believe that you'll pull more people from combat sims into flight sims than you'll take flight simmers away from incumbent sites and get them to visit the one you are discussing instead. Years of experience tells me that the majority of combat flight sim users are into "combat" more importantly than "flight" and that apart from a few younger ones, who will grow into an interest in flight itself, the majority will express an interest and then wander away back to the more exciting world with guns, bombs and missiles. But what do I know? You may be completely right.

And with that, I bow out of this conversation. I've said my piece.

vstudios
May 5th, 2009, 13:24
ok this thread like oh so many others have been totally been blown out of proportion, why people skate around the initial postings I'll never know. The reason for the post was for anyone wishing to add news items around FS, and not to be turned into a debate on whether or not the site will fragment the community or to try and be king of all sites. ODD indeed.

Can a mod please close this thread, most appreciated.

Henry
May 5th, 2009, 13:32
Does seemed to have strayed
H