PDA

View Full Version : FS9 Troubleshooter

miketull
May 4th, 2009, 11:04
Can someone tell me if there is a program that will scan FS9 and show why I can't get it to run any longer? The flash screen show-up and then disappears and thats all that I get.

harleyman
May 4th, 2009, 11:35
No program i know of..But

You can try to delete the FS9 config and let it rebuild itself...Save a copy if you have tweaks in there you want to reference back too..Never just migrate a config back in..It should always be rewritten after allowing a new one to be compilied...

sandar
May 4th, 2009, 11:45
I have the same problem and have suffered from it since I first installed FS9. The problem usually occurs after I have added a new scenery or aircraft, but not always. Deleting the new add on does not cure the problem. I would love to know why it happens and a permanent cure.

To get FS9 to start, I remove the Terrain.cfg from the main FS9 folder (I have a copy of it on my desktop), just drag it out and drop it onto the desktop. Then start FS9, you will get an error message telling you that the Terrain.cfg is missing, but FS will load but some function will not display (the terrain is just a bit flatter than usual). Some times this is enough to cure the problem, but not always. I create a new default flight with different airport and different aircraft, load the flight and shut FS down and restart.

If that doesn't work, delete the Terrain.cfg then copy another one from the FS2004 CD1 (it is in one of the cab directories, but forget which one).

I don't know why it works or what the problem is, but it does work. It is bit bit like a dose of piles (a right pain in the ar5e), but it only take a minute or two....until the next time.

sandar
May 4th, 2009, 11:46
No program i know of..But

You can try to delete the FS9 config and let it rebuild itself...Save a copy if you have tweaks in there you want to reference back too..Never just migrate a config back in..It should always be rewritten after allowing a new one to be compilied...

I have tried that 'cure' but never with success.

DaveQ
May 4th, 2009, 12:13
I had this happen a long time ago when I added a new scenery file for Cairns in Queensland. I'd fly out of Cairns and FS9 would fold; I'd fly into Cairns and it would fold. I changed the order of files in the Scenery library and suddenly FS9 wouldn't open at all - just as you describe.

After hours of experimentation I tracked the fault to having two different copies of Oceanfieldheight (the file that textures waves), one where it should be (in Scenery/World/Texture) and another in the main Scenery/World/Scenery folder. I deleted the latter and never had trouble since. Probably not the problem but worth a look for duplicate files.

Good hunting - hope you cure it.

DaveQ

Blackbird686
May 4th, 2009, 15:27
If you'd like, send me a PM with your email addy and I'll send you a copy of "FS Registry Repair", It may or may not help you resolve your issue but it worked for me when I had a similar problem.

OR, you can just download it from Flight One Software.... it's a freebie.

Look for: FS_Registry_Repair.exe

BB686:USA-flag:

chrisf36
May 4th, 2009, 16:35
I had this happen frequently after installing new scenery. The fix for that was to check the scenery.cfg file in the main FS9 folder and compare it to the one in the same place as FS9.cfg. Usually it was different ("Date Modified"). I just replaced the older one with the newer one and all was fixed.

Something to check out.

Hope This Helps

Chris