PDA

View Full Version : Meteors from Halley's Comet......

luckydog
May 4th, 2009, 10:41
http://spaceweather.com/

Snuffy
May 4th, 2009, 10:55
cool! Thx. :jump:

Willy
May 4th, 2009, 15:59
Drat! Is the sky falling again?

GT182
May 4th, 2009, 16:23
No, but the X on the Moon marks the spot. Video is in LD's link.... don't blink or you'll miss it. ;)

Cazzie
May 4th, 2009, 18:33
Even though the moon is near first quarter, it should be set by the peak radiant hours of the Eta Aquarids. I have observed this shower on several occasions, the best being in 1987, a year after Halley's last visit.

As with most meteor showers, it can be spectacular or it can be a bust, one never knows what to expect. It is not a shower for observing all night, best to get your sleep early and get out around 3:00 AM with a good view of the east-north-east horizon.

My problem this year will be the weather, storms and rains are being forecast all week.

When it is right, the Etas came be a great show, I rank them third, ahead of the Perseids (always bad because the air is so stagnent here in August), but behind the Leonids and the Geminids.

Astronomy is a harsh mistress, you never know what you're in for.

Dog, ya oughta join me on one of my star parties, though the worse season of the year (Summer) is upon us. You know it as well as I, always humid and stagnant here in Summer, air is thick and observing is much better in the late Fall, Winter, and early Spring. I have a Celestron C-8 and set up for local church groups, boy and girl scouts, and the Danville Science Museum.

Caz

luckydog
May 4th, 2009, 20:26
Even though the moon is near first quarter, it should be set by the peak radiant hours of the Eta Aquarids. I have observed this shower on several occasions, the best being in 1987, a year after Halley's last visit.

As with most meteor showers, it can be spectacular or it can be a bust, one never knows what to expect. It is not a shower for observing all night, best to get your sleep early and get out around 3:00 AM with a good view of the east-north-east horizon.

My problem this year will be the weather, storms and rains are being forecast all week.

When it is right, the Etas came be a great show, I rank them third, ahead of the Perseids (always bad because the air is so stagnent here in August), but behind the Leonids and the Geminids.

Astronomy is a harsh mistress, you never know what you're in for.

Dog, ya oughta join me on one of my star parties, though the worse season of the year (Summer) is upon us. You know it as well as I, always humid and stagnant here in Summer, air is thick and observing is much better in the late Fall, Winter, and early Spring. I have a Celestron C-8 and set up for local church groups, boy and girl scouts, and the Danville Science Museum.

Caz

Hey Caz.....

Invite accepted...just let me know where and when.
90 miles is a nice motorcycle ride.......and I'm set up for camping.
I'd provide the " refreshments " for a chance to peek thru a C-8 !!!

LD

srgalahad
May 5th, 2009, 08:22
Special time to have a party too Cazzie.. this is the 400th anniversary of the invention of the telescope :ernae:
http://www.spacetoday.org/DeepSpace/Telescopes/400thAnniversary/TelescopeAnniv400.html
http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Telescope-Anniversary-Date-Controversy-94787.shtml

Rob